Re: Pirates

  • Lesli H
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 10, 2013
      Oh, I think there are places for a personality like yours! Focus more on
      "when" you would like your persona to be living. Are you a Viking? Are you
      a Conquistador? Something inbetween from a culture other than Norse or
      Spanish?

      How do you feel about pointy sticks? Do you practice rapier? We have
      excellent fencers in the SCA. In my barony, such a group called The Thieves
      of Hearts even have a pirate ship bar (not really era-accurate, just for
      funsies), but they are quite serious about their craft.

      What other interests do you have that would lend themselves to your chosen
      persona? Do you like to sew? Are you a leather worker? Do you work with
      metal casting? Can you cook, brew, paint, forge? Do you sing, perform, tell
      a good story?

      Find a group in your area and talk to them. You may have more fun than you
      imagined.

      Medb Mactireban
      Deputy Chatelaine, Barony of Ayreton, Midlands, Middle Kingdom

    • Ian Green
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
        :-)

        One might note that the Thieves of Hearts are NOT pirates but we do have a
        ship. The Privateers (as they have a letter of Marque from King Dag,) do
        have some overlap with the Thieves of Hearts. For the average person the
        difference is rather imperceptible.

        If you want the chemise pirate, go for it! Just dial back from the 1660s
        to the 1590s. Sir Francis Drake (1540 � 27 January 1596) was knighted to
        tick off the Spanish Crown who had demanded the arrest of the pirate
        Francis Drake because he was so darned effective in destroying the Spanish
        ships. The English Crown summoned him and then Knighted him for his work
        on behalf of the crown.

        Or so the story goes.

        THL Ian the Green, Captain in the Thieves of Hearts, NOT A PIRA...er
        PRIVATEER.

        On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 6:38 PM, Lesli H <mythwren@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Oh, I think there are places for a personality like yours! Focus more on
        > "when" you would like your persona to be living. Are you a Viking? Are you
        > a Conquistador? Something inbetween from a culture other than Norse or
        > Spanish?
        >
        > How do you feel about pointy sticks? Do you practice rapier? We have
        > excellent fencers in the SCA. In my barony, such a group called The Thieves
        > of Hearts even have a pirate ship bar (not really era-accurate, just for
        > funsies), but they are quite serious about their craft.
        >
        > What other interests do you have that would lend themselves to your chosen
        > persona? Do you like to sew? Are you a leather worker? Do you work with
        > metal casting? Can you cook, brew, paint, forge? Do you sing, perform, tell
        > a good story?
        >
        > Find a group in your area and talk to them. You may have more fun than you
        > imagined.
        >
        > Medb Mactireban
        > Deputy Chatelaine, Barony of Ayreton, Midlands, Middle Kingdom

        Yours In Service,

        THLord Ian the Green

        "Veritatem resistit simplicitate"

      • An American
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
          I like the sound of privater. I have my research cut out but by the mostly friendly responses to my inquiry I am sure I will find a place for myself with in the SCA. thanks for making me feel welcome.

          Ronel

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Ian Green <ianthegreen01@...> wrote:

          > :-)
          >
          > One might note that the Thieves of Hearts are NOT pirates but we do have a
          > ship. The Privateers (as they have a letter of Marque from King Dag,) do
          > have some overlap with the Thieves of Hearts. For the average person the
          > difference is rather imperceptible.
          >
          > If you want the chemise pirate, go for it! Just dial back from the 1660s
          > to the 1590s. Sir Francis Drake (1540 – 27 January 1596) was knighted to
          > tick off the Spanish Crown who had demanded the arrest of the pirate
          > Francis Drake because he was so darned effective in destroying the Spanish
          > ships. The English Crown summoned him and then Knighted him for his work
          > on behalf of the crown.
          >
          > Or so the story goes.
          >
          > THL Ian the Green, Captain in the Thieves of Hearts, NOT A PIRA...er
          > PRIVATEER.

        • Bill Toscano
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
            That's our intent.

            I have an excellent contact for this topic, and I will get you his
            information.

            Liam
            (Who is at work and intiially signed this with his mundane name.)