re: Pirates

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 10, 2013
      Ronel asked:
      <<< Greetings I am interested in joining the SCA but my interest lay in the sea and more specifically in the swashbuckling pirate like part of history more of an independent merchant adventurer persona. Is there a place for someone like me within the SCA or should I look elsewhere? >>>

      Lots of pirates within our period, even if not the Caribbean pirates you might be thinking of.

      The Norse, when they left home and went a'viking were often pirates as much as traders, depending upon the situation and what they thought would serve their purposes best.

      Norse-msg (120K) 2/ 7/08 Norse culture. Viking raids.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Norse-msg.html

      Often whether someone was a pirate or privateer or national hero, depended upon which side you were on.
      Pirates-lnks (12K) 12/ 7/03 Web links to info on medieval Wales
      by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/pirates-lnks.html

      pirates-msg (38K) 3/ 6/08 Pirates throughout the Middle Ages.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/pirates-msg.html

      Francis-Drake-art (20K) 6/ 3/01 "Sir Francis Drake" by Lord Simon fitz Tomas.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PEOPLE/Francis-Drake-art.html

      Another section in the Florilegium which might be of interest is the TRAVEL section. There is a lot of info there on medieval ships, seamanship, navigation instruments and travel food including ship food.

      There are people and groups within the SCA which have built replicas of various medieval ships and sail them a various events.
      boat-building-msg (42K) 1/21/08 Building boats using medieval techniques.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/boat-building-msg.html

      Stefan
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • Lesli H
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 10, 2013
        Oh, I think there are places for a personality like yours! Focus more on
        "when" you would like your persona to be living. Are you a Viking? Are you
        a Conquistador? Something inbetween from a culture other than Norse or
        Spanish?

        How do you feel about pointy sticks? Do you practice rapier? We have
        excellent fencers in the SCA. In my barony, such a group called The Thieves
        of Hearts even have a pirate ship bar (not really era-accurate, just for
        funsies), but they are quite serious about their craft.

        What other interests do you have that would lend themselves to your chosen
        persona? Do you like to sew? Are you a leather worker? Do you work with
        metal casting? Can you cook, brew, paint, forge? Do you sing, perform, tell
        a good story?

        Find a group in your area and talk to them. You may have more fun than you
        imagined.

        Medb Mactireban
        Deputy Chatelaine, Barony of Ayreton, Midlands, Middle Kingdom

      • Ian Green
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
          :-)

          One might note that the Thieves of Hearts are NOT pirates but we do have a
          ship. The Privateers (as they have a letter of Marque from King Dag,) do
          have some overlap with the Thieves of Hearts. For the average person the
          difference is rather imperceptible.

          If you want the chemise pirate, go for it! Just dial back from the 1660s
          to the 1590s. Sir Francis Drake (1540 � 27 January 1596) was knighted to
          tick off the Spanish Crown who had demanded the arrest of the pirate
          Francis Drake because he was so darned effective in destroying the Spanish
          ships. The English Crown summoned him and then Knighted him for his work
          on behalf of the crown.

          Or so the story goes.

          THL Ian the Green, Captain in the Thieves of Hearts, NOT A PIRA...er
          PRIVATEER.

          On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 6:38 PM, Lesli H <mythwren@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Oh, I think there are places for a personality like yours! Focus more on
          > "when" you would like your persona to be living. Are you a Viking? Are you
          > a Conquistador? Something inbetween from a culture other than Norse or
          > Spanish?
          >
          > How do you feel about pointy sticks? Do you practice rapier? We have
          > excellent fencers in the SCA. In my barony, such a group called The Thieves
          > of Hearts even have a pirate ship bar (not really era-accurate, just for
          > funsies), but they are quite serious about their craft.
          >
          > What other interests do you have that would lend themselves to your chosen
          > persona? Do you like to sew? Are you a leather worker? Do you work with
          > metal casting? Can you cook, brew, paint, forge? Do you sing, perform, tell
          > a good story?
          >
          > Find a group in your area and talk to them. You may have more fun than you
          > imagined.
          >
          > Medb Mactireban
          > Deputy Chatelaine, Barony of Ayreton, Midlands, Middle Kingdom

          Yours In Service,

          THLord Ian the Green

          "Veritatem resistit simplicitate"

        • An American
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
            I like the sound of privater. I have my research cut out but by the mostly friendly responses to my inquiry I am sure I will find a place for myself with in the SCA. thanks for making me feel welcome.

            Ronel

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Ian Green <ianthegreen01@...> wrote:

            > :-)
            >
            > One might note that the Thieves of Hearts are NOT pirates but we do have a
            > ship. The Privateers (as they have a letter of Marque from King Dag,) do
            > have some overlap with the Thieves of Hearts. For the average person the
            > difference is rather imperceptible.
            >
            > If you want the chemise pirate, go for it! Just dial back from the 1660s
            > to the 1590s. Sir Francis Drake (1540 – 27 January 1596) was knighted to
            > tick off the Spanish Crown who had demanded the arrest of the pirate
            > Francis Drake because he was so darned effective in destroying the Spanish
            > ships. The English Crown summoned him and then Knighted him for his work
            > on behalf of the crown.
            >
            > Or so the story goes.
            >
            > THL Ian the Green, Captain in the Thieves of Hearts, NOT A PIRA...er
            > PRIVATEER.

          • Bill Toscano
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
              That's our intent.

              I have an excellent contact for this topic, and I will get you his
              information.

              Liam
              (Who is at work and intiially signed this with his mundane name.)