Re: [SCA Newcomers] Pirates

  • Bill Toscano
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 9, 2013
      Ronel: The SCA pretty much ends at 1600, so the kind of pirate you seem to
      be looking for is more a focus in other groups.

      That said, there is certainly a place in the SCA for someone doing
      pre-1660-style "independent merchant adventurer" and sea stuff in the SCA.

      Liam
      East

      On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 10:33 PM, An American <mrrjessup1@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Greetings I am interested in joining the SCA but my interest lay in the
      > sea and more specifically in the swashbuckling pirate like part of history
      > more of an independent merchant adventurer persona. Is there a place for
      > someone like me within the SCA or should I look elsewhere?
      >
      > Ronel

    • Ian Green
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 9, 2013
        There are plenty of sea personalities in the SCA. We do have rapiers and
        such as well.

        But as it has been pointed out the swashbuckling pirates of yore, aren't
        yore enough to be in the time period of the SCA. Pirates have been around
        just about three seconds less than shipping has. The ancient phoenicians
        had to deal with them and so has everyone else ever since. There are even
        some notable female pirates in the SCA time period. I know a couple of
        people who have even received letters of marque from their crown, heck I
        helped with the wording and writing of one of them!

        So if you are willing to adjust your calendar back 100 years-ish to a less
        swashing time period you are most welcome to come and play with us.
        Permission granted to come aboard if ye be friend, meet the point of my
        sword if ye be foe, and if you are here to get the tax on the cargo I
        carry, you will find the bales of wool over there, no we haven't heard a
        thing about treasure being snuck in, we'll sure keep an ear out for you...

        Ian the Green

        --
        Yours In Service,

        THLord Ian the Green

        "Veritatem resistit simplicitate"

      • An American
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 10, 2013
          Thanks I will do my research I guess I can give up my life as a
          swashbuckling pirate in favor of a Viking pillager. LOL I just need to
          figure out the differences in costuming. I assume a T-tunic with maybe a
          fur or sheepskin vest might be better than the chemise
          <http://www.etsy.com/listing/98549185/mens-renissance-poet-shirt> and
          horatio <http://bosswench.com/horatio.htm> Vest I have in my closet.
          Any suggestions would be appreciated.

          Ronel

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Ian Green <ianthegreen01@...>
          wrote:

          > There are plenty of sea personalities in the SCA. We do have rapiers
          and
          > such as well.
          >
          > But as it has been pointed out the swashbuckling pirates of yore,
          aren't
          > yore enough to be in the time period of the SCA. Pirates have been
          around
          > just about three seconds less than shipping has. The ancient
          phoenicians
          > had to deal with them and so has everyone else ever since. There are
          even
          > some notable female pirates in the SCA time period. I know a couple
          of
          > people who have even received letters of marque from their crown, heck
          > helped with the wording and writing of one of them!
          >
          > So if you are willing to adjust your calendar back 100 years-ish to a
          less
          > swashing time period you are most welcome to come and play with us.
          > Permission granted to come aboard if ye be friend, meet the point of
          my
          > sword if ye be foe, and if you are here to get the tax on the cargo I
          > carry, you will find the bales of wool over there, no we haven't heard
          > thing about treasure being snuck in, we'll sure keep an ear out for
          you...

          > Ian the Green
          >
          > On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 10:33 PM, An American mrrjessup1@... wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Greetings I am interested in joining the SCA but my interest lay in
          the
          > > sea and more specifically in the swashbuckling pirate like part of
          history
          > > more of an independent merchant adventurer persona. Is there a place
          for
          > > someone like me within the SCA or should I look elsewhere?
          > >
          > > Ronel
          > >

          > --
          > Yours In Service,
          >
          > THLord Ian the Green
          >
          > "Veritatem resistit simplicitate"
          >
          > My Blog <http://scribescribbling.wordpress.com/>

        • Susan B. Farmer
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 10, 2013
            On 3/10/2013 10:07 AM, An American wrote:

            > Thanks I will do my research I guess I can give up my life as a
            > swashbuckling pirate in favor of a Viking pillager. LOL I just need to
            > figure out the differences in costuming. I assume a T-tunic with maybe a
            > fur or sheepskin vest might be better than the chemise
            > <http://www.etsy.com/listing/98549185/mens-renissance-poet-shirt> and
            > horatio <http://bosswench.com/horatio.htm> Vest I have in my closet.
            > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

            Some links and images out there for you. (Note, I'm quite certain that
            you're capable of doing your own research, but there's so much garbage
            out there especially concerning Vikings [ditch the horns, for instance])
            ..... Thought that I'd save you some grief!

            http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/mensgarb.html
            http://www.revivalclothing.com/10th-11thcearlymedievalvikingpants.aspx
            (scroll down for some nice images -- the pic at the top is just of pants
            and leggings)
            http://valerianastock.deviantart.com/art/Drawing-of-Viking-clothes-101367693
            http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/daily_living/text/clothing.htm
            and finally ... The Viking Answer Lady just rocks!
            http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/clothing.shtml

            Jerusha
            --
            Susan B. Farmer
            sfarmer@...
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 10, 2013
              Ronel asked:
              <<< Greetings I am interested in joining the SCA but my interest lay in the sea and more specifically in the swashbuckling pirate like part of history more of an independent merchant adventurer persona. Is there a place for someone like me within the SCA or should I look elsewhere? >>>

              Lots of pirates within our period, even if not the Caribbean pirates you might be thinking of.

              The Norse, when they left home and went a'viking were often pirates as much as traders, depending upon the situation and what they thought would serve their purposes best.

              Norse-msg (120K) 2/ 7/08 Norse culture. Viking raids.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Norse-msg.html

              Often whether someone was a pirate or privateer or national hero, depended upon which side you were on.
              Pirates-lnks (12K) 12/ 7/03 Web links to info on medieval Wales
              by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/pirates-lnks.html

              pirates-msg (38K) 3/ 6/08 Pirates throughout the Middle Ages.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/pirates-msg.html

              Francis-Drake-art (20K) 6/ 3/01 "Sir Francis Drake" by Lord Simon fitz Tomas.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/PEOPLE/Francis-Drake-art.html

              Another section in the Florilegium which might be of interest is the TRAVEL section. There is a lot of info there on medieval ships, seamanship, navigation instruments and travel food including ship food.

              There are people and groups within the SCA which have built replicas of various medieval ships and sail them a various events.
              boat-building-msg (42K) 1/21/08 Building boats using medieval techniques.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/boat-building-msg.html

              Stefan
              --------
              http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
            • Lesli H
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 10, 2013
                Oh, I think there are places for a personality like yours! Focus more on
                "when" you would like your persona to be living. Are you a Viking? Are you
                a Conquistador? Something inbetween from a culture other than Norse or
                Spanish?

                How do you feel about pointy sticks? Do you practice rapier? We have
                excellent fencers in the SCA. In my barony, such a group called The Thieves
                of Hearts even have a pirate ship bar (not really era-accurate, just for
                funsies), but they are quite serious about their craft.

                What other interests do you have that would lend themselves to your chosen
                persona? Do you like to sew? Are you a leather worker? Do you work with
                metal casting? Can you cook, brew, paint, forge? Do you sing, perform, tell
                a good story?

                Find a group in your area and talk to them. You may have more fun than you
                imagined.

                Medb Mactireban
                Deputy Chatelaine, Barony of Ayreton, Midlands, Middle Kingdom

              • Ian Green
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
                  :-)

                  One might note that the Thieves of Hearts are NOT pirates but we do have a
                  ship. The Privateers (as they have a letter of Marque from King Dag,) do
                  have some overlap with the Thieves of Hearts. For the average person the
                  difference is rather imperceptible.

                  If you want the chemise pirate, go for it! Just dial back from the 1660s
                  to the 1590s. Sir Francis Drake (1540 � 27 January 1596) was knighted to
                  tick off the Spanish Crown who had demanded the arrest of the pirate
                  Francis Drake because he was so darned effective in destroying the Spanish
                  ships. The English Crown summoned him and then Knighted him for his work
                  on behalf of the crown.

                  Or so the story goes.

                  THL Ian the Green, Captain in the Thieves of Hearts, NOT A PIRA...er
                  PRIVATEER.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
                    I like the sound of privater. I have my research cut out but by the mostly friendly responses to my inquiry I am sure I will find a place for myself with in the SCA. thanks for making me feel welcome.

                    Ronel

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Ian Green <ianthegreen01@...> wrote:

                    > :-)
                    >
                    > One might note that the Thieves of Hearts are NOT pirates but we do have a
                    > ship. The Privateers (as they have a letter of Marque from King Dag,) do
                    > have some overlap with the Thieves of Hearts. For the average person the
                    > difference is rather imperceptible.
                    >
                    > If you want the chemise pirate, go for it! Just dial back from the 1660s
                    > to the 1590s. Sir Francis Drake (1540 – 27 January 1596) was knighted to
                    > tick off the Spanish Crown who had demanded the arrest of the pirate
                    > Francis Drake because he was so darned effective in destroying the Spanish
                    > ships. The English Crown summoned him and then Knighted him for his work
                    > on behalf of the crown.
                    >
                    > Or so the story goes.
                    >
                    > THL Ian the Green, Captain in the Thieves of Hearts, NOT A PIRA...er
                    > PRIVATEER.

                  • Bill Toscano
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
                      That's our intent.

                      I have an excellent contact for this topic, and I will get you his
                      information.

                      Liam
                      (Who is at work and intiially signed this with his mundane name.)