re: Newness

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2013
      Stephanie asked:
      <<< when is Archery practice and Rapier practice?
      Besides the archery and rapier lessons, what meetings would be good for newcomer to attend? The schedule was a bit confusing. >>>

      These are questions better asked of the people in your home group, Northkeep. I'm in your home kingdom of Ansteorra, but I'm not familiar with the local situation, much less the other folks on this list from all over the Known World, which includes large expanses of the real world.

      <<< Also who can I talk to about choosing my name? >>>

      Really, it would help first to decide which region and/or time era you are most interested in, since that could affect which names you have to choose from. I do recommend that you come up with at least a first name as soon as you have this pinned down some. Otherwise the folks in the SCA may well make up a name for you. And you may or may not like that name. It also saves folks from learning your regular name and then shortly after having to learn a new name for you, all over again.

      Some names do span a large time span or area, and if you can't narrow it down, that is a possible solution. And nothing is set in stone. You can always change your name later. For some people it is easy to get people to use their new name. For others not so much.

      Perhaps these files in the NEWCOMERS section of the Florilegium might be of interest:
      Choose-a-Name-art (12K) 10/ 3/09 "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for Newcomers"
      by Dietmar Reinhart von Straubing and Malachias von Morgenstern.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Choose-a-Name-art.html

      names-FAQ (14K) 5/ 8/96 Choosing and registering names in the SCA.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/names-FAQ.html

      There are other files in that same section which might also be of interest.

      There are some files on personas and names in the PERSONAS section.

      <<< and lastly-I love costumes and own a ton but none of them are accurate and i know that that is a pretty big deal within the SCA. Is it ok to wear inaccurate costumes? >>>

      The only requirement is to wear an "attempt at medieval clothing". Particularly for newcomers usually you are given a fair amount of slack.

      It is also often possible to borrow an outfit from someone already in the SCA and many groups also have chests of clothes to loan to newcomers until they can get their own.

      If you are interested in clothing and sewing, you can certainly learn to sew very elaborate, complex clothing.

      <<< Also is there someone I can talk to to help me research accurate costumes and it would be wonderful if there is someone who could make me a couple of costumes? (Id pay for them of course) >>>

      There are plenty of folks in the SCA that will be willing to help you for free. We all learn from each other and we stand on each other's shoulders to continuously improve our art.

      You might wish to look at some of the files in the CLOTHING section of the Florilegium.

      There are also a number of people who do take on sewing commissions in the SCA. You might check this Florilegium file:
      merch-cloth-lst (25K) 8/19/10 Lists of clothes and pattern merchants.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/merch-cloth-lst.html

      merch-shoes-msg (32K) 5/18/11 Lists and reviews of period-style shoe makers.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/merch-shoes-msg.html

      <<< Thanks so much for all the help and sorry to bombard you all with so many questions!! >>>

      Feel free to. That is one of the main purposes of this list. I am also happy to help you as I may by email.

      I have sent this to the list and to you, since it may be of interest to others here as well.

      One thing to keep in mind is that this week there is a big SCA event called Gulf Wars going on near Haddiesburg, Mississippi. Much of my local group, and I assume in Namron as well is already on the way to this event or will be. So you may not be able to reach many of your local folks until next week.

      Stefan
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris