re: Possible newcomer to East Kingdom

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 25, 2013
      Greetings "that in Maine", :-)

      No, I don't think that is registrable as a period name. However, there are a number of variations of "Amy" in various cultures in our period of study which might be of interest to you. Some people like to use a variation of their regular (also called mundane) name since they don't think they can learn to react to another. Others want a different name because they find that easier to help to separate their SCA life from their regular life.

      Many local groups maintain chests of loaner clothing for newcomers to use until they get or make their own. One of many reasons to make contact with your local SCA group.

      <<< My persona thoughts are either Viking or 15th century generic since those dresses look easy and more comfortable than the Viking apron dresses over multiple layers. >>>

      Viking or Viking apron dresses? Huh?

      Multiple layers are a good way to make clothing that will work in different seasons. This was quite common in period. Even the richest people only had a few changes of clothes, so the ability to make what you had work in different conditions was important. Many of the pictures that you might think people are wearing a single outer layer simply aren't showing the under layers which can't be seen.

      Being in Maine, you are probably going to need a range of clothing. Outside events in winter are going to require different or additional clothing than an inside event or one in summer. I would recommend looking into making or getting a cloak for instance. This can be worn when it is cold, used to sit on, used to protect yourself from the rain etc. A few Florilegium files on cloaks:
      AS-Cloaks-art (10K) 5/ 3/02 "An Anglo-Saxon Cloak" by Lady Eowyn "Eo" Swiftlere.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/AS-Cloaks-art.html

      cloaks-msg (64K) 5/ 6/12 Cloaks, cloak pins and clasps.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/cloaks-msg.html

      Irish-Brat-art (20K) 2/14/09 "Weaving an 11th Century Irish Brat"
      by THL Cassandra of Glastonbury.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/Irish-Brat-art.html
      (not a project for a beginner, but interesting)

      The CULTURES section in the Florilegium has some information on a number of different cultures. It might be useful in getting some more ideas of cultures you might be interested in.

      I know women who picked a persona because that culture didn't force all women to wear dresses. I know men who avoided a culture because men at that time wore hose.

      Some people avoid Elizabethan because all of the fancy clothing they see in the portraits of the time. However, remember that the people in those paintings are the upper 1% or higher of society. They were the ones that could afford to have a portrait painted. So a solution is to use a middle-class Elizabethan persona where the clothing was/is much simpler. This also leaves the possibility of "moving into the upper class" when your sewing skills improve.

      For a bunch of good info and suggestions on personas, check out the PERSONAS section in the Florilegium.

      "There is zero chance I'm learning any Norse...I'm 40yo and my brain isn't that agile anymore!"

      Don't worry about languages. In the US, at least, modern English in the common language. One of the quirks of the SCA is that the wide range of personas from cultures from Iceland to the Middle East, especially over 1600 years would have had problems talking to each other, which we ignore. The most common language was Latin, but even that was spoken very only a small minority of the people.

      As to being 40 years old, I'm 55 (I've been in the SCA for over 22 years) but we have folks from teen agers to senior citizens.

      Please let me know if I can help you further.

      Stefan
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • Angela
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 26, 2013
        Welcome Amy!

        It all depends on the household you join whether they have loaner garb. I know my household gave me 2-3 overdresses that people had stopped wearing because they no longer fit. Some households don't bother keeping track of/keeping loaner garb. It just depends on who you get with. The loaner garb I started with (3 whole outfits) lasted me about 2 years, always wearing the same stuff, until I learned to sew. I have never seen a SCA site (or merchant site) that wasn't about 'making money' overpricing stuff. Now that I've made a few things, I know WHY they charge what they do. Your standard fancy gown takes about 40 hours to make, and depending on the fabric, can get very pricey!
        Also, sometimes you can find normal mundane clothes that work for the SCA, like floor length skirts and fancy tops with long sleeves.

        Learning to sew for the SCA is very easy - all I could do was hems when I started! Now I can make a viking, underdresses, coats (I just made myself a viking coat with fur and everything to replace a corderoy cloak that was never all that warm, one I paid about $100 for at a war!). I still buy little things every now and then, but now, 3 years into the SCA, I'm starting to sew my own garb, and I have switched to buying trims, buttons, patterns and fabric, instead of whole pieces. The trick I found is to buddy up with someone who makes their own garb all the time -- and have them teach you the easy ways to do things. My friend who sews grew up in the SCA, and she's been sewing her own garb since she was 10. Her stuff looks amazing.

        Hate to tell you but middle age clothing was ALWAYS done in layers. A chemise is basically underwear. It goes under everything (or you can use a dress that FUNCTIONS like a chemise, with long sleeves, that goes to the ground, which chemises did). Then you wear whatever you are going to wear OVER the chemise (like a viking or sideless). The chemises were long sleeved, because women did not bare anything if at all possible. It wasn't proper to see one's feet and legs, or forearms, according to the church.

        If you're thinking about being a viking, clothing couldn't be easier (or cheaper!) for you to make yourself.
        For the standard viking underdress (think chemise, or dress that can stand alone), use Burda pattern 7468. I found it at Joann Fabrics. This pattern is very easy and makes 2 different dresses, depending on the sleeves. "A" is the a generic underdress that can be worn under a sideless or viking. "B" is a fancier stand-alone dress that has the long flowy sleeves. (they are both pretty much the same dress, it's really mainly the sleeves that are different). The viking itself is about 3 1/2 yards of linen blend, and can be made in 7 pieces - back, front, 2 sides, 2 shoulders and a "bra" strap that goes around and connects them to the dress. A friend of mine made me a pattern for that. There is also a Burda pattern for the sideless, which is WAY easy (2 pieces!) and goes over an underdress. Burda 7977 is also 2 dresses -- an underdress (standard fitted chemise) and a sideless.

        I've gone from having 2-3 outfits total to making 3 sidelesses, 4 chemises in different colors (so you can mix/match), 3 vikings and 2 stand alone fancier dresses. Now I can get thru a 7 day war and not wear the same thing twice! YAY!

        Also don't worry about getting a "persona" -- I've been playing 3 years and still don't have one. I only have a name because our household has several "angela"s, and I wanted to differentiate myself. And it's not a proper "vetted" midieval name -- it's just something I liked the sound of. I'm the only chainmailler in my household. I'm also almost the only archer in a household of sword and board fighters.

        My advice? Go to a few local wars and try to find a household you like. Many households have some form of membership requirements - like you have to attend so many wars with them, or be active in a specific thing (ie my household, most everyone takes the field, or supports the field by waterbearing/etc); others don't care, so long as you are the same type of persona they are (ie in a pirate household, everyone is a pirate). If they like you, they will ask you to be part of their household. Just go make some friends! :) Eventually you'll find that someone who makes garb too.

        LOL don't worry about Norse -- m'lord and m'lady is the only new "language" I've ever heard in the SCA! :)

        Yours in Service (YIS),
        Inea Arcur (Angela) - combat archer, brewer, chainmailler, and now garb maker! [I was going to say "sew er", but see how that looks!?]
        Atenveldt (AZ)
        invertedarcher@...

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 26, 2013
          Hi Amy!

          We may have already met via email, I am the East Kingdom Chatelaine, Alison
          Wodehalle. If not, please feel free to email me privately at chatelaine at
          eastkingdom dot org.

          There are a lot of cultural differences between kingdoms, which is part of
          both the strength of this SCA-wide email group, and part of what can be
          confusing, or what may seem to be advice that later on looks wrong. The
          East Kingdom does have households, but they do not tend to be "where you
          start" as in many other kingdoms. In the East, you start with your local
          group, and the chatelaine in that group can help you figure out if they
          have Gold Key (loaner garb) that will fit you. They may host workshops for
          learning to make garb, or may have a person who really enjoys doing that
          individually with newcomers. They may be aware of a swap or other low cost
          way to acquire your first garb. Whatever their means, they are the best
          person to ask for help.

          Households are informal groups, not officially recognized by the SCA. They
          are groups formed around specific interests, such as fighting, or service,
          or fencing, or cooking. The group may be loosely aligned with few
          meeetings, and just keep an online presence for members, or they may be
          organized with the precision of a military (Blood Guard in the southern
          region of the East). Don't worry about households yet. Many people in the
          East have no affiliation with a household. We tend to play with our landed
          groups. You may find eventually that your interests align with a household,
          and can make the decision at that time whether you wish to join. These
          articles will help you understand getting started in the East
          http://chatelaine.eastkingdom.org/newcomers.html .

          I agree very much with the idea that Norse, or viking, is amongst the
          simplest. You need two items, a chemise, and a slightly shorter dress that
          you don't even have to worry about sleeves on it. And a starter norse cloak
          can be a large square of wool folded in half diagonally (no sewing in other
          words). The apron dress is a tube with straps.
          http://www.tjurslakter.nl/viking%20apron-dress.pdf . You add triangles to
          get a little flair in the shape, but it's just a few straight seams (as
          easy as curtains). The underdress can be made a variety of ways, you can
          use the old SCA T-tunic concept of laying a tee shirt that fits you, out on
          fabric, and cutting around it, continuing down to the floor at an angle.
          There is a pic in the article on Garb in the link I gave you above. It
          leaves you with two seams to sew, one on each side, oh and a hem on the
          neckline and a hem on the bottom of the skirt. Only if you feel like
          getting fancy do you need to worry about trim, or other items pictured with
          Viking garb, that can all come later.

          Please let me know if you need help getting in touch with your local group,
          or if I can help you with anything else.

          In service,
          Alison
          East Kingdom