re: Maile Question

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2013
      > what gauge steel wire is minimum for SCA ?? 16 Ga ?

      It likely depends upon whether the mail links are just butted together, or riveted or welded (a non-period method).

      Mail, by itself, is not a good defense against SCA weapons. In period, it needed to be worn over other padding. It works best as protection against bladed weapons and less well against maces and clubs, which the SCA weapons tend to resemble, i.e. no edges, but a fair amount of mass.

      As someone else recommended, I would check your kingdom regulations.

      For some more info on mail, see these files in the COMBAT section of the Florilegium:
      chainmail-beg-art (24K) 11/ 2/00 "Chainmaille Tutorial for Beginners"
      by Culann Mac Cruimeinn.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/chainmail-beg-art.html

      chainmail-msg (132K) 1/ 8/08 Making chainmail. Mail armor. References.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/chainmail-msg.html

      chnmail-clean-msg (6K) 10/18/01 Cleaning mail armor in period and today.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/chnmail-clean-msg.html

      merch-chainml-msg (24K) 4/29/06 Chainmail merchants and supplies.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/merch-chainml-msg.html

      Stefan
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • RobertA
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 25, 2013
        yes, its to go over a Padded Gambeson, thank you for the info..