Maile Question

  • RobertA
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23 12:08 PM
      what gauge steel wire is minimum for SCA ?? 16 Ga ?
    • Ian Green
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23 9:30 PM
        See your Kingdom's Heavy Weapon's Handbook.

        Ian

        --
        Yours In Service,

        THLord Ian the Green

        "Veritatem resistit simplicitate"

      • Stefan li Rous
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 25 12:28 PM
          > what gauge steel wire is minimum for SCA ?? 16 Ga ?

          It likely depends upon whether the mail links are just butted together, or riveted or welded (a non-period method).

          Mail, by itself, is not a good defense against SCA weapons. In period, it needed to be worn over other padding. It works best as protection against bladed weapons and less well against maces and clubs, which the SCA weapons tend to resemble, i.e. no edges, but a fair amount of mass.

          As someone else recommended, I would check your kingdom regulations.

          For some more info on mail, see these files in the COMBAT section of the Florilegium:
          chainmail-beg-art (24K) 11/ 2/00 "Chainmaille Tutorial for Beginners"
          by Culann Mac Cruimeinn.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/chainmail-beg-art.html

          chainmail-msg (132K) 1/ 8/08 Making chainmail. Mail armor. References.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/chainmail-msg.html

          chnmail-clean-msg (6K) 10/18/01 Cleaning mail armor in period and today.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/chnmail-clean-msg.html

          merch-chainml-msg (24K) 4/29/06 Chainmail merchants and supplies.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/merch-chainml-msg.html

          Stefan
          --------
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
        • RobertA
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 25 1:47 PM
            yes, its to go over a Padded Gambeson, thank you for the info..