Re: [SCA Newcomers] Finding a new home within the SCA

  • Christey
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2013
      > On 28 Jan 2013, at 9:07 AM, Christey wrote:
      > > Greetings my lords and ladies. I am a fairly new member to the SCA. When i started going to events I lived in the Kingdom of Meridies but have moved now to what I believe is Glenn Abhann. I would like to find a barony or shire so that I may become more involved in the Sca as a whole but I am having trouble doing so. How can I get some help finding a group fairly close to me so that I can grow in the SCA?
      > You've come to the right place. :) Where exactly are you now, if you don't mind sharing the name of the town, county, and/or state with us? I'm confident someone from that area, or at least someone who knows someone from there, will be able to help.
      > Alternatively you could try http://sca.org/geography/kingdom_lookup.html -- And so you'll be able to find it again if you lose that link, here's how I got to it:
      > 1. Go to http://www.sca.org
      > 2. Look in the right-hand margin, to the little red-outlined box titled "New to the SCA? Start here…" One of the five links is "Find your local group." Click that.
      > 3. The page you'll find has a paragraph that is headed/titled "How do I find them?" I have a small screen, so I had to scroll down to read that paragraph, but there's a link in the first sentence, and that link leads you to http://sca.org/geography/kingdom_lookup.html. That link will help you find your kingdom. At that point, the kingdom website SHOULD have a list of baronies and shires, and one or more of those will apply to you. :) If you're really bad at geography (like me), you might have to still contact the kingdom chatelaine and ask him/her to help you figure out where your town falls within the counties. I had to do that. But they'll help; that's the chatelaine's job. :) Some areas call this person the Hospitaller, and some may also call the person a greeter, newbie helper, or something else. But for sure, they'll hook you up.
      > Good luck in your new home! :)
      > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      > D'vorah bint Da'ud
      > Protégé to Meister Albrecht Waldfurster, OP
      > Gyldenholt, Caid (Orange, CA)
      > dvorah@...
      > http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
      > Twitter: @DvorahSCA
      > Facebook: D'vorah bint Da'ud
      > If you have a parrot, and don't teach it to say "Help, they've trapped me in the body of a parrot!" you are wasting everyone's time.
      Thank you all for your help. I live in Sidon Mississippi. I believe the closest group to me is Colombus but that is quite a long way away. If the county helps that is Leflore County Mississippi. I just got my computer back online after it decided to crash on me but I will be trying your suggestions. Thank you very much m'lords and m'ladies hope to meet some of you at Gulf Wars.