Re: [SCA Newcomers] hi!

  • D'vorah bint Da'ud
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
      On 12 Feb 2013, at 9:48 AM, Deborah wrote:

      > Im a newbie to sca, and just wondering if someone could please correspond with me about basic stuff i need to know?
      >
      > Im honestly rather clueless, other than I need to make garb, and guys that fight with swords are hawt. I have tent, and sleeping bag.
      >
      > I just joined another group that will teach me how to cook sca food. (yay i love to cook)
      >
      > i will be going to my first garb making meeting, but i would like to make connections, and kind of help my shire get a little better organized. i am hoping to make connections that can kind of teach me about the sca organization in general, and ideas for fun shire parties that are family friendly. :D
      >
      > i am working on a scottish persona: lark macintosh. Please let me know if this is an acceptable name.

      First of all, WELCOME! You're definitely in the right place for making connections and asking questions. We hope you'll have fun playing in the SCA with us. Since you have a tent and sleeping bag, you're ahead of where I was when I joined in 2010, so well done. ;) It's great that you're so enthusiastic and interested in so many things. That's the best feeling -- knowing that whatever you're into, there are other SCAdians (SCA people) who are also into it, who may be able to help you get started or continue learning what you've already begun to do.

      Where are you living (country, province/state, town or region)? We're all over the world! Let us help you find your local group, so you can get to know people in your area. Most of our events (garbed gatherings, usually on weekends) are family friendly, though some activities (usually un-garbed, usually weekdays, often in people's homes) are and some aren't; just find something on your group's monthly calendar and ask your local group about it.

      The best people to ask about your proposed persona name are heralds. There are heralds' mailing lists (SCA-wide, as well as kingdom and local lists), Facebook groups, and of course you can always ask your local chatelaine to direct you to the next monthly heralds' meeting. They'll be able to help you settle on a name and, if you wish, a device to represent yourself. Depending on how much you enjoy watching/listening to their process as they help you out, you might find yourself with another new interest as well.

      The thing to know above all other things is: Any question you care to ask here (or anywhere in the SCA, really) is absolutely okay. There aren't any stupid questions. There are only questions for which you don't know the answers, and that's to be expected of anything at which you're new. Everyone here either has similar questions, or once had them. Go ahead and speak up. :)
      D'vorah bint Da'ud
      Protégé to Meister Albrecht Waldfurster, OP
      Gyldenholt, Caid (Orange, CA)
      dvorah@...
      http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
      Twitter: @DvorahSCA
      Facebook: D'vorah bint Da'ud

      If you have a parrot, and don't teach it to say "Help, they've trapped me in the body of a parrot!" you are wasting everyone's time.
    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 17, 2013
        Deborah asked:
        <<< Im a newbie to sca, and just wondering if someone could please correspond with me about basic stuff i need to know?

        Im honestly rather clueless, other than I need to make garb, and guys that fight with swords are hawt. I have tent, and sleeping bag.

        You might want to take a look at the NEWCOMERS section in the Florilegium. The address is given in my signature block below.

        <<< I just joined another group that will teach me how to cook sca food. (yay i love to cook) >>>

        There are a number of sections in the Florilegium having to do with cooking such as:
        Feast-Reviews Feasts Food
        Food-Books Food-Breads-Grains Food-By-Region
        Food-Condiments Food-Dairy Food-Fruits
        Food-Manuscripts Food-Meats Food-Sweets
        Food-Utensils Food-Vegetables

        I also have a section dedicated specifically to BEVERAGES.

        There is also a CLOTHING section.

        If you have a particular type of food or a culture that you are interested in, send me an email or post here and I'd be happy to suggest various files that might interest you.

        <<< i will be going to my first garb making meeting, but i would like to make connections, and kind of help my shire get a little better organized. i am hoping to make connections that can kind of teach me about the sca organization in general, and ideas for fun shire parties that are family friendly. :D >>>

        Perhaps some of the games and files in the CHILDREN section might be of interest. There are also at least a pair of articles there on making clothing for children.

        <<< i am working on a scottish persona: lark macintosh. Please let me know if this is an acceptable name. >>>

        I'm not a name herald, so I'd hate to hazard a guess.

        But perhaps these files, from your earlier comments, might be of interest?
        cl-Scot-fem-art (14K) 7/ 2/96 Scottish women's clothing.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/cl-Scot-fem-art.html

        cl-Scot-male-art (18K) 6/20/96 Scottish men's clothing.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/cl-Scot-male-art.html

        cl-Scotland-msg (120K) 6/17/12 Clothing of Scotland. folding of kilts.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/cl-Scotland-msg.html

        Kilts-1590-art (20K) 2/13/11 "More than you ever wanted to know about the
        kilt" by Lord Gregor Mac Beathain.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/Kilts-1590-art.html

        Scotland-lnks (20K) 10/12/03 Web links to medieval Scotland
        by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Scotland-lnks.html

        Scotland-msg (72K) 2/25/12 Scottish culture. Who lived where. Medieval
        points of interest. The Orkney Islands.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Scotland-msg.html

        fd-Scotland-msg (66K) 8/21/10 Medieval food of Scotland. Recipes.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Scotland-msg.html

        fd-Scot-11thC-art (45K) 10/16/10 "Food of 11th Century Scotland" by
        THL Johnnae llyn Lewis.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Scot-11tC-art.html

        Stefan
        --------