Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Belt colors

  • Ian Green
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11 10:32 PM
      One might note that in TWO Kingdom the colors of the belt ARE KINGDOM LAW.

      Atenveldt -
      http://www.atenveldt.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=LRKU_inRS9Q%3d&tabid=114&mid=1383

      Where in part it is stated:

      G. BELTS AND BALDRICS
      Belts and Baldrics are used to denote accomplishment and status, or to
      symbolize a special relationship
      between a Peer of the Realm and a member of the populace.
      1. Belts
       White Belts are reserved for the exclusive use of the Knights.
       Simple Red Belts are reserved for the use of Squires, to denote their
      special bond with a Knight.
       Simple Green Belts are reserved for the use of Apprentices, to denote
      their special bond with a
      Master or Mistress of the Laurel.
       Simple Yellow Belts are reserved for

      AND

      Trimaris - http://www.trimaris.org/files/seneschal/Kingdom-Law-2010.pdf

      Where in part it is stated:

      B. Other Regalia
      1. Members of the Order of the Pelican may wear caps of maintenance of
      gules, turned plumetty argent
      goute de sange.
      2. Members of the Order of the Laurel may wear caps of maintenance of vert,
      turned argent.
      3. Unadorned chains of gold are reserved for use by the Chivalry, but only
      if they have sworn their fealty
      to the Crown. Spurs of gold, simple white belts and simple white garters
      are reserved for use of the
      Chivalry.
      4. White scarfs worn about the left shoulder are reserved for use by Dons
      of the Order of the White Scarf.
      5. Persons holding Grants of Arms may wear a collar of badges.
      6. Simple red belts are reserved for use by the direct associates of
      members of the Order of Chivalry.
      7. Simple yellow belts are reserved for use by the direct associates of
      members of the Order of the
      Pelican.
      8. Simple green belts are reserved for use by the direct associates of
      members of the Order of the Laurel
      9. Red scarfs worn about the left shoulder are reserved for use by the
      direct associates of members of the
      Order of the White Scarf.

      In all other 18 kingdoms of the SCA it is by tradition only, NOT LAW.

      Yours in Service,

      THLord Ian the Green

      On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM, chemistbb3 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Those colors in solid color belts may be a problem, especially white,
      > which is reserved. Other color combinations as stripes may also be an issue
      > as they might resemble awards. Other colors may be problematic in some
      > areas. It is always best to check with some of the weavers in your area for
      > specifics. to be sure you are not stepping on traditions, (or toes).
      >
      > William
      >

      > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Norana Cantrell wrote:
      > >
      > > I am going to weave a belt for myself using yarn and am choosing my
      > > colors. I know that I'm not allowed to have a belt in certain colors
      > > (white, red, yellow, and green) because they mean various things.
      > > Does this mean that I'm not allowed to have any green or any white in my
      > > belt, or just that my belt can not be entirely (or mostly) white, or
      > green?
      > >
      > > Thank you,
      > > Norana

      Yours In Service,