RE: [SCA Newcomers] Belt colors

  • Chris Chastain
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
      Well the only color "officially" off limits is the solid white belt, youll get funny looks if you wear the others when you dont deserve it. You cant wear the solid colors but it can be mixed with those colors

      In Service,

      Dmitrii Ivanov
      "There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world, and that is an idea whose time has come"
      Victor Hugo

      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      From: noranac@...
      Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 08:56:38 -0500
      Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Belt colors

      I am going to weave a belt for myself using yarn and am choosing my

      colors. I know that I'm not allowed to have a belt in certain colors

      (white, red, yellow, and green) because they mean various things.

      Does this mean that I'm not allowed to have any green or any white in my

      belt, or just that my belt can not be entirely (or mostly) white, or green?

      Thank you,

      Norana

    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
        Those colors in solid color belts may be a problem, especially white, which is reserved. Other color combinations as stripes may also be an issue as they might resemble awards. Other colors may be problematic in some areas. It is always best to check with some of the weavers in your area for specifics. to be sure you are not stepping on traditions, (or toes).

        William

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Norana Cantrell wrote:

        > I am going to weave a belt for myself using yarn and am choosing my
        > colors. I know that I'm not allowed to have a belt in certain colors
        > (white, red, yellow, and green) because they mean various things.
        > Does this mean that I'm not allowed to have any green or any white in my
        > belt, or just that my belt can not be entirely (or mostly) white, or green?
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Norana

      • Ian Green
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
          One might note that in TWO Kingdom the colors of the belt ARE KINGDOM LAW.

          Atenveldt -
          http://www.atenveldt.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=LRKU_inRS9Q%3d&tabid=114&mid=1383

          Where in part it is stated:

          G. BELTS AND BALDRICS
          Belts and Baldrics are used to denote accomplishment and status, or to
          symbolize a special relationship
          between a Peer of the Realm and a member of the populace.
          1. Belts
           White Belts are reserved for the exclusive use of the Knights.
           Simple Red Belts are reserved for the use of Squires, to denote their
          special bond with a Knight.
           Simple Green Belts are reserved for the use of Apprentices, to denote
          their special bond with a
          Master or Mistress of the Laurel.
           Simple Yellow Belts are reserved for

          AND

          Trimaris - http://www.trimaris.org/files/seneschal/Kingdom-Law-2010.pdf

          Where in part it is stated:

          B. Other Regalia
          1. Members of the Order of the Pelican may wear caps of maintenance of
          gules, turned plumetty argent
          goute de sange.
          2. Members of the Order of the Laurel may wear caps of maintenance of vert,
          turned argent.
          3. Unadorned chains of gold are reserved for use by the Chivalry, but only
          if they have sworn their fealty
          to the Crown. Spurs of gold, simple white belts and simple white garters
          are reserved for use of the
          Chivalry.
          4. White scarfs worn about the left shoulder are reserved for use by Dons
          of the Order of the White Scarf.
          5. Persons holding Grants of Arms may wear a collar of badges.
          6. Simple red belts are reserved for use by the direct associates of
          members of the Order of Chivalry.
          7. Simple yellow belts are reserved for use by the direct associates of
          members of the Order of the
          Pelican.
          8. Simple green belts are reserved for use by the direct associates of
          members of the Order of the Laurel
          9. Red scarfs worn about the left shoulder are reserved for use by the
          direct associates of members of the
          Order of the White Scarf.

          In all other 18 kingdoms of the SCA it is by tradition only, NOT LAW.

          Yours in Service,

          THLord Ian the Green

          On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM, chemistbb3 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Those colors in solid color belts may be a problem, especially white,
          > which is reserved. Other color combinations as stripes may also be an issue
          > as they might resemble awards. Other colors may be problematic in some
          > areas. It is always best to check with some of the weavers in your area for
          > specifics. to be sure you are not stepping on traditions, (or toes).
          >
          > William
          >

          > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Norana Cantrell wrote:
          > >
          > > I am going to weave a belt for myself using yarn and am choosing my
          > > colors. I know that I'm not allowed to have a belt in certain colors
          > > (white, red, yellow, and green) because they mean various things.
          > > Does this mean that I'm not allowed to have any green or any white in my
          > > belt, or just that my belt can not be entirely (or mostly) white, or
          > green?
          > >
          > > Thank you,
          > > Norana

          Yours In Service,