RE: [SCA Newcomers] Belt colors

  • Chris Chastain
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
      Well the only color "officially" off limits is the solid white belt, youll get funny looks if you wear the others when you dont deserve it. You cant wear the solid colors but it can be mixed with those colors

      In Service,

      Dmitrii Ivanov
      "There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world, and that is an idea whose time has come"
      Victor Hugo

      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      From: noranac@...
      Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 08:56:38 -0500
      Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Belt colors

      I am going to weave a belt for myself using yarn and am choosing my

      colors. I know that I'm not allowed to have a belt in certain colors

      (white, red, yellow, and green) because they mean various things.

      Does this mean that I'm not allowed to have any green or any white in my

      belt, or just that my belt can not be entirely (or mostly) white, or green?

      Thank you,

      Norana

    • D'vorah bint Da'ud
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
        On 11 Feb 2013, at 5:56 AM, Norana Cantrell wrote:

        > I am going to weave a belt for myself using yarn and am choosing my
        > colors. I know that I'm not allowed to have a belt in certain colors
        > (white, red, yellow, and green) because they mean various things.
        > Does this mean that I'm not allowed to have any green or any white in my
        > belt, or just that my belt can not be entirely (or mostly) white, or green?
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Norana

        No, indeed, you may have any color IN your belt that you wish. And other than the white belt, the others are all custom, not law: you may have any color belt you wish, and simply correct people who ask who your laurel/knight/pelican is, "This is a gold belt, *this* color is yellow." Or if you want a reddish color, "Oh, no, this is a squire's knight's red, and this belt is my crimson/scarlet/murray."
        D'vorah bint Da'ud
        Protégé to Meister Albrecht Waldfurster, OP
        Gyldenholt, Caid (Orange, CA)
        dvorah@...
        http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
        Twitter: @DvorahSCA
        Facebook: D'vorah bint Da'ud

        If you have a parrot, and don't teach it to say "Help, they've trapped me in the body of a parrot!" you are wasting everyone's time.
      • chemistbb3
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
          Those colors in solid color belts may be a problem, especially white, which is reserved. Other color combinations as stripes may also be an issue as they might resemble awards. Other colors may be problematic in some areas. It is always best to check with some of the weavers in your area for specifics. to be sure you are not stepping on traditions, (or toes).

          William

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Norana Cantrell wrote:

          > I am going to weave a belt for myself using yarn and am choosing my
          > colors. I know that I'm not allowed to have a belt in certain colors
          > (white, red, yellow, and green) because they mean various things.
          > Does this mean that I'm not allowed to have any green or any white in my
          > belt, or just that my belt can not be entirely (or mostly) white, or green?
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Norana

        • Ian Green
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
            One might note that in TWO Kingdom the colors of the belt ARE KINGDOM LAW.

            Atenveldt -
            http://www.atenveldt.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=LRKU_inRS9Q%3d&tabid=114&mid=1383

            Where in part it is stated:

            G. BELTS AND BALDRICS
            Belts and Baldrics are used to denote accomplishment and status, or to
            symbolize a special relationship
            between a Peer of the Realm and a member of the populace.
            1. Belts
             White Belts are reserved for the exclusive use of the Knights.
             Simple Red Belts are reserved for the use of Squires, to denote their
            special bond with a Knight.
             Simple Green Belts are reserved for the use of Apprentices, to denote
            their special bond with a
            Master or Mistress of the Laurel.
             Simple Yellow Belts are reserved for

            AND

            Trimaris - http://www.trimaris.org/files/seneschal/Kingdom-Law-2010.pdf

            Where in part it is stated:

            B. Other Regalia
            1. Members of the Order of the Pelican may wear caps of maintenance of
            gules, turned plumetty argent
            goute de sange.
            2. Members of the Order of the Laurel may wear caps of maintenance of vert,
            turned argent.
            3. Unadorned chains of gold are reserved for use by the Chivalry, but only
            if they have sworn their fealty
            to the Crown. Spurs of gold, simple white belts and simple white garters
            are reserved for use of the
            Chivalry.
            4. White scarfs worn about the left shoulder are reserved for use by Dons
            of the Order of the White Scarf.
            5. Persons holding Grants of Arms may wear a collar of badges.
            6. Simple red belts are reserved for use by the direct associates of
            members of the Order of Chivalry.
            7. Simple yellow belts are reserved for use by the direct associates of
            members of the Order of the
            Pelican.
            8. Simple green belts are reserved for use by the direct associates of
            members of the Order of the Laurel
            9. Red scarfs worn about the left shoulder are reserved for use by the
            direct associates of members of the
            Order of the White Scarf.

            In all other 18 kingdoms of the SCA it is by tradition only, NOT LAW.

            Yours in Service,

            THLord Ian the Green

            On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM, chemistbb3 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Those colors in solid color belts may be a problem, especially white,
            > which is reserved. Other color combinations as stripes may also be an issue
            > as they might resemble awards. Other colors may be problematic in some
            > areas. It is always best to check with some of the weavers in your area for
            > specifics. to be sure you are not stepping on traditions, (or toes).
            >
            > William
            >

            > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Norana Cantrell wrote:
            > >
            > > I am going to weave a belt for myself using yarn and am choosing my
            > > colors. I know that I'm not allowed to have a belt in certain colors
            > > (white, red, yellow, and green) because they mean various things.
            > > Does this mean that I'm not allowed to have any green or any white in my
            > > belt, or just that my belt can not be entirely (or mostly) white, or
            > green?
            > >
            > > Thank you,
            > > Norana

            Yours In Service,