Belt colors

  • Norana Cantrell
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
      I am going to weave a belt for myself using yarn and am choosing my
      colors. I know that I'm not allowed to have a belt in certain colors
      (white, red, yellow, and green) because they mean various things.
      Does this mean that I'm not allowed to have any green or any white in my
      belt, or just that my belt can not be entirely (or mostly) white, or green?

      Thank you,
      Norana

    • Chris Chastain
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
        Well the only color "officially" off limits is the solid white belt, youll get funny looks if you wear the others when you dont deserve it. You cant wear the solid colors but it can be mixed with those colors

        In Service,

        Dmitrii Ivanov
        "There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world, and that is an idea whose time has come"
        Victor Hugo

        To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
        From: noranac@...
        Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 08:56:38 -0500
        Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Belt colors

        I am going to weave a belt for myself using yarn and am choosing my

        colors. I know that I'm not allowed to have a belt in certain colors

        (white, red, yellow, and green) because they mean various things.

        Does this mean that I'm not allowed to have any green or any white in my

        belt, or just that my belt can not be entirely (or mostly) white, or green?

        Thank you,

        Norana

      • D'vorah bint Da'ud
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
          On 11 Feb 2013, at 5:56 AM, Norana Cantrell wrote:

          > I am going to weave a belt for myself using yarn and am choosing my
          > colors. I know that I'm not allowed to have a belt in certain colors
          > (white, red, yellow, and green) because they mean various things.
          > Does this mean that I'm not allowed to have any green or any white in my
          > belt, or just that my belt can not be entirely (or mostly) white, or green?
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Norana

          No, indeed, you may have any color IN your belt that you wish. And other than the white belt, the others are all custom, not law: you may have any color belt you wish, and simply correct people who ask who your laurel/knight/pelican is, "This is a gold belt, *this* color is yellow." Or if you want a reddish color, "Oh, no, this is a squire's knight's red, and this belt is my crimson/scarlet/murray."
          D'vorah bint Da'ud
          Protégé to Meister Albrecht Waldfurster, OP
          Gyldenholt, Caid (Orange, CA)
          dvorah@...
          http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
          Twitter: @DvorahSCA
          Facebook: D'vorah bint Da'ud

          If you have a parrot, and don't teach it to say "Help, they've trapped me in the body of a parrot!" you are wasting everyone's time.
        • chemistbb3
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
            Those colors in solid color belts may be a problem, especially white, which is reserved. Other color combinations as stripes may also be an issue as they might resemble awards. Other colors may be problematic in some areas. It is always best to check with some of the weavers in your area for specifics. to be sure you are not stepping on traditions, (or toes).

            William

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Norana Cantrell wrote:

            > I am going to weave a belt for myself using yarn and am choosing my
            > colors. I know that I'm not allowed to have a belt in certain colors
            > (white, red, yellow, and green) because they mean various things.
            > Does this mean that I'm not allowed to have any green or any white in my
            > belt, or just that my belt can not be entirely (or mostly) white, or green?
            >
            > Thank you,
            > Norana

          • Ian Green
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
              One might note that in TWO Kingdom the colors of the belt ARE KINGDOM LAW.

              Atenveldt -
              http://www.atenveldt.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=LRKU_inRS9Q%3d&tabid=114&mid=1383

              Where in part it is stated:

              G. BELTS AND BALDRICS
              Belts and Baldrics are used to denote accomplishment and status, or to
              symbolize a special relationship
              between a Peer of the Realm and a member of the populace.
              1. Belts
               White Belts are reserved for the exclusive use of the Knights.
               Simple Red Belts are reserved for the use of Squires, to denote their
              special bond with a Knight.
               Simple Green Belts are reserved for the use of Apprentices, to denote
              their special bond with a
              Master or Mistress of the Laurel.
               Simple Yellow Belts are reserved for

              AND

              Trimaris - http://www.trimaris.org/files/seneschal/Kingdom-Law-2010.pdf

              Where in part it is stated:

              B. Other Regalia
              1. Members of the Order of the Pelican may wear caps of maintenance of
              gules, turned plumetty argent
              goute de sange.
              2. Members of the Order of the Laurel may wear caps of maintenance of vert,
              turned argent.
              3. Unadorned chains of gold are reserved for use by the Chivalry, but only
              if they have sworn their fealty
              to the Crown. Spurs of gold, simple white belts and simple white garters
              are reserved for use of the
              Chivalry.
              4. White scarfs worn about the left shoulder are reserved for use by Dons
              of the Order of the White Scarf.
              5. Persons holding Grants of Arms may wear a collar of badges.
              6. Simple red belts are reserved for use by the direct associates of
              members of the Order of Chivalry.
              7. Simple yellow belts are reserved for use by the direct associates of
              members of the Order of the
              Pelican.
              8. Simple green belts are reserved for use by the direct associates of
              members of the Order of the Laurel
              9. Red scarfs worn about the left shoulder are reserved for use by the
              direct associates of members of the
              Order of the White Scarf.

              In all other 18 kingdoms of the SCA it is by tradition only, NOT LAW.

              Yours in Service,

              THLord Ian the Green

              On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM, chemistbb3 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Those colors in solid color belts may be a problem, especially white,
              > which is reserved. Other color combinations as stripes may also be an issue
              > as they might resemble awards. Other colors may be problematic in some
              > areas. It is always best to check with some of the weavers in your area for
              > specifics. to be sure you are not stepping on traditions, (or toes).
              >
              > William
              >

              > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Norana Cantrell wrote:
              > >
              > > I am going to weave a belt for myself using yarn and am choosing my
              > > colors. I know that I'm not allowed to have a belt in certain colors
              > > (white, red, yellow, and green) because they mean various things.
              > > Does this mean that I'm not allowed to have any green or any white in my
              > > belt, or just that my belt can not be entirely (or mostly) white, or
              > green?
              > >
              > > Thank you,
              > > Norana

              Yours In Service,