Re: [SCA Newcomers] beginner garb

  • Susan B. Farmer
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2013
      On 2/3/2013 5:42 PM, annonymousey wrote:
      > Good afternoon,
      >
      > I'd like to make some garb for myself and my husband. It's been a LONG time since I have sewed and I am not that good at it. There seems to be LOTS of SCA garb information on the internet - so much so that I'm a little overwhelmed.
      >
      > Could you recommend a basic, simple site or pattern (I'm willing to purchase one) that will walk me through putting together simple garb for myself and my husband? I'm thinking a chemise and a viking apron for me and a t-tunic for him (??) but am open to suggestions.

      Keep in mind that a chemise is "body linen" -- i.e., you slip -- it's
      not somthing that's going to show. *IF* you wanted to have all the
      layers, you'd have a chemise, then a tunic or gown and *then* the Viking
      Apron.

      Viking is super easy to make, and looks very good. If you've got a tape
      measure and a straight-edge, you can do Viking! :-) Here's my
      handy-dandy quick guide to Viking (mostly links to other places! It's
      easier than sending you my bookmark file! :-)

      Holler if you need additional help!

      Jerusha
      --
      Susan B. Farmer
      sfarmer@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2013
        On 2/8/2013 3:53 PM, Susan B. Farmer wrote:
        > On 2/3/2013 5:42 PM, annonymousey wrote:
        >> Good afternoon,
        >>
        >> I'd like to make some garb for myself and my husband. It's been a
        >> LONG time since I have sewed and I am not that good at it. There
        >> seems to be LOTS of SCA garb information on the internet - so much so
        >> that I'm a little overwhelmed.
        >>
        >> Could you recommend a basic, simple site or pattern (I'm willing to
        >> purchase one) that will walk me through putting together simple garb
        >> for myself and my husband? I'm thinking a chemise and a viking apron
        >> for me and a t-tunic for him (??) but am open to suggestions.
        >>

        > Keep in mind that a chemise is "body linen" -- i.e., you slip -- it's
        > not somthing that's going to show. *IF* you wanted to have all the
        > layers, you'd have a chemise, then a tunic or gown and *then* the Viking
        > Apron.
        >
        > Viking is super easy to make, and looks very good. If you've got a tape
        > measure and a straight-edge, you can do Viking! :-) Here's my
        > handy-dandy quick guide to Viking (mostly links to other places! It's
        > easier than sending you my bookmark file! :-)

        *DuH* It would have helped if I'd included the link!

        http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/SCA/Articles/VikingResources.html

        Jerusha
        --
        http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Faculty