Re: Greetings and Question

  • aranwen_of_willowford
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2013
      Though maybe some other readers here have more specifics to offer...
      I did a little Google searching around to see what I could come up with, and "sca irish persona" did indeed yield some goodies :)

      Keep in mind of course this isn't an "sca" link, but rather, that of a member. Some nice links for reading material, and if any old ones won't come up, try putting them in at archive.org to view the cached content... (this happens a LOT with old pages with links. The site is still online but the links are dead ones)
      http://www.angelfire.com/zine/kiarapanther/garb/irish.html

      This one has some pretty good thoughts I think, on the Japanese idea.
      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/sca.html

      Just a few thoughts to help get ideas started.
      I guess my answer for direction is... looking to others who have done those areas before. :)

      ~aranwen's tiny 2 cents' worth

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "The Hawk" wrote:

      > Good Eve to all,
      >
      > my name is David N Yanolatos, and I am new to the SCA. I am looking into both pre 17th century Japan and Ireland for my SCA background. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for my research
      >
      > David

    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2013
        <<< my name is David N Yanolatos, and I am new to the SCA. I am looking into both pre 17th century Japan and Ireland for my SCA background. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for my research

        David >>>

        Perhaps these files in the CULTURES section of the Florilegium might be of use:
        Ireland-lnks (20K) 12/25/03 Web links to medieval Ireland
        by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Ireland-lnks.html

        Ireland-msg (76K) 1/10/10 Irish culture, dress. Points of interest.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Ireland-msg.html

        Really, you may need to pin things down a bit closer, since early Irish clothes and culture differed quite a bit from late period, depending upon the class of person you are creating.

        Some files in the CLOTHING section:
        cl-Ireland-msg (98K) 2/ 6/08 Medieval Irish clothing.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/cl-Ireland-msg.html

        Irish-Brat-art (20K) 2/14/09 "Weaving an 11th Century Irish Brat"
        by THL Cassandra of Glastonbury.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/Irish-Brat-art.html

        Here's a file on period Irish food:
        fd-Ireland-msg (60K) 6/25/06 Medieval Irish food. references. recipes.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Ireland-msg.html

        Stefan
        --------
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris