Greetings and Question

  • The Hawk
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2013
      Good Eve to all,

      my name is David N Yanolatos, and I am new to the SCA. I am looking into both pre 17th century Japan and Ireland for my SCA background. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for my research

      David
    • aranwen_of_willowford
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2013
        Though maybe some other readers here have more specifics to offer...
        I did a little Google searching around to see what I could come up with, and "sca irish persona" did indeed yield some goodies :)

        Keep in mind of course this isn't an "sca" link, but rather, that of a member. Some nice links for reading material, and if any old ones won't come up, try putting them in at archive.org to view the cached content... (this happens a LOT with old pages with links. The site is still online but the links are dead ones)
        http://www.angelfire.com/zine/kiarapanther/garb/irish.html

        This one has some pretty good thoughts I think, on the Japanese idea.
        http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/sca.html

        Just a few thoughts to help get ideas started.
        I guess my answer for direction is... looking to others who have done those areas before. :)

        ~aranwen's tiny 2 cents' worth

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "The Hawk" wrote:

        > Good Eve to all,
        >
        > my name is David N Yanolatos, and I am new to the SCA. I am looking into both pre 17th century Japan and Ireland for my SCA background. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for my research
        >
        > David

      • Stefan li Rous
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 9, 2013
          <<< my name is David N Yanolatos, and I am new to the SCA. I am looking into both pre 17th century Japan and Ireland for my SCA background. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for my research

          David >>>

          Perhaps these files in the CULTURES section of the Florilegium might be of use:
          Ireland-lnks (20K) 12/25/03 Web links to medieval Ireland
          by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Ireland-lnks.html

          Ireland-msg (76K) 1/10/10 Irish culture, dress. Points of interest.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Ireland-msg.html

          Really, you may need to pin things down a bit closer, since early Irish clothes and culture differed quite a bit from late period, depending upon the class of person you are creating.

          Some files in the CLOTHING section:
          cl-Ireland-msg (98K) 2/ 6/08 Medieval Irish clothing.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/cl-Ireland-msg.html

          Irish-Brat-art (20K) 2/14/09 "Weaving an 11th Century Irish Brat"
          by THL Cassandra of Glastonbury.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/Irish-Brat-art.html

          Here's a file on period Irish food:
          fd-Ireland-msg (60K) 6/25/06 Medieval Irish food. references. recipes.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Ireland-msg.html

          Stefan
          --------
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris