medieval banking

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2013
      Here is a message I've saved, which isn't in the Florilegium. Yet.

      <<< Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 20:55:05 -0400 (EDT)
      From: Daniel And elizabeth phelps <dephelps@...>
      To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks@...>
      Subject: [Sca-cooks] Odd Book

      Picked up an odd book a while back and just got around to reading it, "Trade and Banking in Early Modern England." Only the first chapter "The rise of metropolitan markets" might be of interest to the list. It has a map of England showing the "farming countries of England" and goes into great detail about where things were raised and marketed and the movement of cheese, cattle, sheep, and poultry in the 16th century. It talks about what went by pack horse and from where, what went by wagon two wheeled and four and what went by boat up canals. Fair amount of information on how the mail was carried and money transported. All in all an odd little book. The remaining chapters go into commercial credit, bills of exchange that sort of thing.

      Daniel >>>

      Stefan
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris