Colors

  • shelbystein
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2013
      Does anyone know if people wore black? Did warriors wear black leather, or is that just in the movies?
    • S H
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2013
        Well Nat. black wool I would think would be available, and there were as
        I understand black dyes- but they were expansive. Late era might
        have Puritanical or Judaic overtones. Maybe I don't have dates on hand.
        errr I'm just a lurker on this list and Not really SCA sadly (thought I was
        for a year) so take this with a grain of salt.

        --
        "There are women I've been who you haven't seen yet
        There are women I shall be who you've never met

      • Stephen Deck
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1 4:51 AM
          Depends, as with most things, on your period and location. Usually our
          best guesses are archaeological sources and analysis of fibers found
          in grave sites, with a strong other source being the surviving
          paintings and tapestries.

          http://www.sjolander.com/viking/museum/bt/bt.htm

          This is from the Bayeux Tapestry, which dates back to about 1070. The
          image is fairly small, but it looks like 2 of the vikings are in
          black, or a dark enough green that it would make no difference. I
          hope that helps! Good luck
          On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 7:18 PM, S H <ilovdalone@...> wrote:
          > Well Nat. black wool I would think would be available, and there were as
          > I understand black dyes- but they were expansive. Late era might
          > have Puritanical or Judaic overtones. Maybe I don't have dates on hand.
          > errr I'm just a lurker on this list and Not really SCA sadly (thought I was
          > for a year) so take this with a grain of salt.
          >
          > On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 3:58 PM, shelbystein <shelbystein@...> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> Does anyone know if people wore black? Did warriors wear black leather, or
          >> is that just in the movies?
          >>

          > --
          > "There are women I've been who you haven't seen yet
          > There are women I shall be who you've never met
          > As to who I am now if you're prompted to ask
          > I'm the ghost of my future and the sum of my past"-Talis Kimberley:Small
          > Mended Corners

        • Ian Green
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1 6:00 AM
            Hi, I deal with pigments and dyes, though I am not a fiber arts dye person.

            What I know is that black was a very expensive color to use for clothing.
            It was not the norm and those who could afford it used it to show off
            their wealth. This is one of the reasons that the Spanish Court in the Age
            of Exploration wore so much black. Could it be done? Yes, Was it common?
            No.

            Can you do it in the SCA? Sure.

            Ian

            --
            Yours In Service,

            THLord Ian the Green

            "Veritatem resistit simplicitate"

          • Alizaundre
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6 4:00 PM
              Respected friend:

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "shelbystein" wrote:

              > Does anyone know if people wore black? Did warriors wear black leather, or is that just in the movies?

              It depends on what you call black. Brown-black was easy, common and cheap; black sheep are brown-black, and any form of tannin (such as acorns) combined with any source of iron (such as old armor scraps) produces brown-black. Thus, brown-black was the last attempt to dye hopelessly stained cloth back to something quasi-respectable and was associated with poverty. Blue-black is harder, and true black really requires dyes that were fabulously expensive till the Renaissance.
              So a warrior could easily have brown-black but wouldn't want to; it would make him look poor. Blue-black varied in availability and popularity, but generally wasn't widely available. True black was for the rich and the Renaissance.