Re: [SCA Newcomers] Thanks!

  • Shelby Stein
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
       That sounds like a great book.  Do you know of any books that include Ireland, or that cover Ireland specifically?  I don't mean the politics but the day-to-day living.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
        Actually the book mentioned does cover Ireland as well. Though not as
        completely. I'm still working my way through it as real life (you will
        hear that term a lot) keeps popping up taking time away from my hobby.

        I might suggest books by Dr Sean Duffy of the Trinity College in Ireland
        for books on Ireland Specifically. For example the book "Ireland in the
        Middle Ages."

        http://www.amazon.com/Ireland-British-History-Perspective-Paperback/dp/0312163908/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359690453&sr=1-1&keywords=ireland+in+the+middle+ages

        Ian

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
          Thanks!  I will look for into that.  Does anybody happen to know about banks in the middle ages?  I read that they existed in some form or another.  Did people just keep all their gold coin lying around?  How did they protect it?  I read some people used money changers to finance wars, thereby preserving their immediate wealth.

          ________________________________
          Actually the book mentioned does cover Ireland as well. Though not as
          completely.  I'm still working my way through it as real life (you will
          hear that term a lot) keeps popping up taking time away from my hobby.

          I might suggest books by Dr Sean Duffy of the Trinity College in Ireland
          for books on Ireland Specifically.  For example the book "Ireland in the
          Middle Ages."

          http://www.amazon.com/Ireland-British-History-Perspective-Paperback/dp/0312163908/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359690453&sr=1-1&keywords=ireland+in+the+middle+ages

          Ian

          On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Shelby Stein <shelbystein@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          >  That sounds like a great book.  Do you know of any books that include
          > Ireland, or that cover Ireland specifically?  I don't mean the politics but
          > the day-to-day living.
          >
          > ________________________________

        • Ian Green
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2013
            For many book subjects I use Amazon.com kind of like a book google search.

            I make sure to click on books then I type in the search query.

            In this case I typed in "Banks in the Middle Ages," and came up with a
            suitable list of books.

            "Money and the Middle Ages,"

            http://www.amazon.com/Money-Middle-Ages-Jacques-Goff/dp/0745652999/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359727283&sr=1-1&keywords=banks+in+the+middle+ages

            "Banking Trade and Industry: Europe, America and Asia from the 13th to the
            20th Century"

            http://www.amazon.com/Banking-Trade-Industry-Thirteenth-Twentieth/dp/0521188873/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359727283&sr=1-2&keywords=banks+in+the+middle+ages

            Then to make sure it is written by someone of authority I go to Google and
            search the Author's Name and then add the word Author after it.

            If that search results are too broad and I can't find the person, I will
            type in the book name as well and hope to get some good biographical
            information. I used to just click on the authors name on Amazon but in my
            experience it doesn't tell me often enough if the person is a Ph.D. in the
            subject or just some hack or anything in between.

            If it is something I want, I then contact my local bookstore and/or library
            and see if they carry it. If they don't I check various booksellers online
            for the best prices.

            Best of luck finding information on your interests! The more we learn the
            better people we become is my motto. Of course I'm the child of two
            teachers.

            Yours in Service,

            Ian the Green

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2013
              Thanks for the info!  I will definitely look into it.  I notice some conflicting information on the internet.  Probably best to stick to books!