Re: [SCA Newcomers] Thanks!

  • D'vorah bint Da'ud
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
      >> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 9:14 PM, shelbystein <shelbystein@...>wrote:
      >>
      >>> Thanks! I appreciate all of the great information. I realize the middle
      >>> ages, while being really cool, weren't so great for everyone! I think it
      >>> was mentioned that everyone is part of the nobility. Are there no serfs?

      I will say this: those who portray serfs, servants, and others with little to no status can get away with owning less garb (and less expensive garb) than those whose status would mean wearing the simpler/less expensive things would be instantly a point of embarrassment. I do know those who have decided to portray those of the peasant class, until they got their clothing and encampments a bit upgraded.
      D'vorah bint Da'ud
      Protégé to Meister Albrecht Waldfurster, OP
      Gyldenholt, Caid (Orange, CA)
      dvorah@...
      http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
      Twitter: @DvorahSCA
      Facebook: D'vorah bint Da'ud

      If you have a parrot, and don't teach it to say "Help, they've trapped me in the body of a parrot!" you are wasting everyone's time.
    • Shelby Stein
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
         That sounds like a great book.  Do you know of any books that include Ireland, or that cover Ireland specifically?  I don't mean the politics but the day-to-day living.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
          Actually the book mentioned does cover Ireland as well. Though not as
          completely. I'm still working my way through it as real life (you will
          hear that term a lot) keeps popping up taking time away from my hobby.

          I might suggest books by Dr Sean Duffy of the Trinity College in Ireland
          for books on Ireland Specifically. For example the book "Ireland in the
          Middle Ages."

          http://www.amazon.com/Ireland-British-History-Perspective-Paperback/dp/0312163908/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359690453&sr=1-1&keywords=ireland+in+the+middle+ages

          Ian

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
            Thanks!  I will look for into that.  Does anybody happen to know about banks in the middle ages?  I read that they existed in some form or another.  Did people just keep all their gold coin lying around?  How did they protect it?  I read some people used money changers to finance wars, thereby preserving their immediate wealth.

            ________________________________
            Actually the book mentioned does cover Ireland as well. Though not as
            completely.  I'm still working my way through it as real life (you will
            hear that term a lot) keeps popping up taking time away from my hobby.

            I might suggest books by Dr Sean Duffy of the Trinity College in Ireland
            for books on Ireland Specifically.  For example the book "Ireland in the
            Middle Ages."

            http://www.amazon.com/Ireland-British-History-Perspective-Paperback/dp/0312163908/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359690453&sr=1-1&keywords=ireland+in+the+middle+ages

            Ian

            On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Shelby Stein <shelbystein@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            >  That sounds like a great book.  Do you know of any books that include
            > Ireland, or that cover Ireland specifically?  I don't mean the politics but
            > the day-to-day living.
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Ian Green
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2013
              For many book subjects I use Amazon.com kind of like a book google search.

              I make sure to click on books then I type in the search query.

              In this case I typed in "Banks in the Middle Ages," and came up with a
              suitable list of books.

              "Money and the Middle Ages,"

              http://www.amazon.com/Money-Middle-Ages-Jacques-Goff/dp/0745652999/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359727283&sr=1-1&keywords=banks+in+the+middle+ages

              "Banking Trade and Industry: Europe, America and Asia from the 13th to the
              20th Century"

              http://www.amazon.com/Banking-Trade-Industry-Thirteenth-Twentieth/dp/0521188873/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359727283&sr=1-2&keywords=banks+in+the+middle+ages

              Then to make sure it is written by someone of authority I go to Google and
              search the Author's Name and then add the word Author after it.

              If that search results are too broad and I can't find the person, I will
              type in the book name as well and hope to get some good biographical
              information. I used to just click on the authors name on Amazon but in my
              experience it doesn't tell me often enough if the person is a Ph.D. in the
              subject or just some hack or anything in between.

              If it is something I want, I then contact my local bookstore and/or library
              and see if they carry it. If they don't I check various booksellers online
              for the best prices.

              Best of luck finding information on your interests! The more we learn the
              better people we become is my motto. Of course I'm the child of two
              teachers.

              Yours in Service,

              Ian the Green

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 1, 2013
                Thanks for the info!  I will definitely look into it.  I notice some conflicting information on the internet.  Probably best to stick to books!