Re: [SCA Newcomers] Thanks!

  • Ian Green
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
      I know several people who have non-nobility personas. I know a couple of
      which who have personas and lowly lay friars as well.

      It is rare in the SCA to see these personas but they are as legitimate as
      any other persona to have and to play. That said, the default is that yes,
      you are minor nobility until or unless you have received awards that make
      you a "higher" class of nobility. Most of the people I know who play the
      serfs and lay friars are of the highest orders in the SCA. They still
      enjoy having serf personas.

      Much like other things in the SCA, we politely ignore the obvious
      inconsistencies. You can't be a peasant/serf and be a peer of the realm in
      historical reality. Becoming a peer of the realm would automatically
      elevate someone from whatever station they were into one of the highest
      possible stations. Oh well, its the SCA, where we let you be what you want
      to be more or less.

      You don't get to call yourself a Knight, but you can earn that title. You
      can't be Prince, Princess, King, Queen, Duke, Duchess, Count, Countess,
      Viscount, Viscountess, Baron, Baroness, The Honorable Lord, The Honorable
      Lady, Lord, Lady, Master and/or Mistress (feminine of Master,) unless you
      EARN those titles. Just about everything else is fair game.

      As for how much free time Peasants had, more than most people think. In
      fact for most of the time period of the SCA peasants and serfs had shorter
      work hours during the week than a full time employee does today. Yes,

      Yours in Service,

      Ian

      --
      Yours In Service,

      THLord Ian the Green

      "Veritatem resistit simplicitate"

    • Ian Green
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
        An excellent book about how people lived in the Middle Ages would be:

        Making a living in the Middle Ages: The People of Britain 850-1520 by
        Christopher Dyer, PhD.
        http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/historical/people/cdyer

        Book:

        http://www.amazon.com/Making-Living-Middle-Ages-850-1520/dp/0300101910/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1359653205&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=living+in+the+middle+ages+800+to+1600+book+england+scotland+wales

        Highly suggest the book for anyone interested in how people lived in the
        Middle ages for England, Wales and Scotland. It covers the nobility, the
        non-nobles and the Church very well.

        Yours in Service,

        Ian the Green

        --
        Yours In Service,

        THLord Ian the Green

        "Veritatem resistit simplicitate"

      • D'vorah bint Da'ud
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
          >> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 9:14 PM, shelbystein <shelbystein@...>wrote:
          >>
          >>> Thanks! I appreciate all of the great information. I realize the middle
          >>> ages, while being really cool, weren't so great for everyone! I think it
          >>> was mentioned that everyone is part of the nobility. Are there no serfs?

          I will say this: those who portray serfs, servants, and others with little to no status can get away with owning less garb (and less expensive garb) than those whose status would mean wearing the simpler/less expensive things would be instantly a point of embarrassment. I do know those who have decided to portray those of the peasant class, until they got their clothing and encampments a bit upgraded.
          D'vorah bint Da'ud
          Protégé to Meister Albrecht Waldfurster, OP
          Gyldenholt, Caid (Orange, CA)
          dvorah@...
          http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
          Twitter: @DvorahSCA
          Facebook: D'vorah bint Da'ud

          If you have a parrot, and don't teach it to say "Help, they've trapped me in the body of a parrot!" you are wasting everyone's time.
        • Shelby Stein
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
             That sounds like a great book.  Do you know of any books that include Ireland, or that cover Ireland specifically?  I don't mean the politics but the day-to-day living.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
              Actually the book mentioned does cover Ireland as well. Though not as
              completely. I'm still working my way through it as real life (you will
              hear that term a lot) keeps popping up taking time away from my hobby.

              I might suggest books by Dr Sean Duffy of the Trinity College in Ireland
              for books on Ireland Specifically. For example the book "Ireland in the
              Middle Ages."

              http://www.amazon.com/Ireland-British-History-Perspective-Paperback/dp/0312163908/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359690453&sr=1-1&keywords=ireland+in+the+middle+ages

              Ian

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
                Thanks!  I will look for into that.  Does anybody happen to know about banks in the middle ages?  I read that they existed in some form or another.  Did people just keep all their gold coin lying around?  How did they protect it?  I read some people used money changers to finance wars, thereby preserving their immediate wealth.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 1, 2013
                  For many book subjects I use Amazon.com kind of like a book google search.

                  I make sure to click on books then I type in the search query.

                  In this case I typed in "Banks in the Middle Ages," and came up with a
                  suitable list of books.

                  "Money and the Middle Ages,"

                  http://www.amazon.com/Money-Middle-Ages-Jacques-Goff/dp/0745652999/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359727283&sr=1-1&keywords=banks+in+the+middle+ages

                  "Banking Trade and Industry: Europe, America and Asia from the 13th to the
                  20th Century"

                  http://www.amazon.com/Banking-Trade-Industry-Thirteenth-Twentieth/dp/0521188873/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359727283&sr=1-2&keywords=banks+in+the+middle+ages

                  Then to make sure it is written by someone of authority I go to Google and
                  search the Author's Name and then add the word Author after it.

                  If that search results are too broad and I can't find the person, I will
                  type in the book name as well and hope to get some good biographical
                  information. I used to just click on the authors name on Amazon but in my
                  experience it doesn't tell me often enough if the person is a Ph.D. in the
                  subject or just some hack or anything in between.

                  If it is something I want, I then contact my local bookstore and/or library
                  and see if they carry it. If they don't I check various booksellers online
                  for the best prices.

                  Best of luck finding information on your interests! The more we learn the
                  better people we become is my motto. Of course I'm the child of two
                  teachers.

                  Yours in Service,

                  Ian the Green

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 1, 2013
                    Thanks for the info!  I will definitely look into it.  I notice some conflicting information on the internet.  Probably best to stick to books!