Re: [SCA Newcomers] Thanks!

  • Alison Choyce
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 30, 2013
      You would be able to take on the persona if you chose to, but no, there are
      no serfs that I am aware of. :) The bylaws of the SCA actually say that all
      the people are considered to be minor nobility. But we can recreate
      anything-any part of any culture within the period and the geography that
      we cover (which is a pretty wide range!).

      Alison
      East Kingdom

      --
      ~Alison

    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 30, 2013
        officially, no serfs. If you were a serf, you would not have any time to do any of the fun stuff we do. You would be too busy just staying alive. LOL

        You can have an "alternate" persona as a serf. The folks I know who have those alternate personas usually use them when they are doing things that nobility typically would not do. Some examples would be preparing feast, picking up the "stuff" after equestrian events, and checking and restocking the porta-potties. I know a Barony that had a whole persona play thing for the folks that did the check and restock of the porta-potties. It became a popular position at events for them.

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "shelbystein" wrote:

        > Thanks! I appreciate all of the great information. I realize the middle ages, while being really cool, weren't so great for everyone! I think it was mentioned that everyone is part of the nobility. Are there no serfs?

      • Justinos Tekton
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
          On 01/30/2013 09:14 PM, shelbystein wrote:
          > I think it was mentioned that everyone is part of the nobility. Are there no serfs?

          We presume everyone to be "of noble birth" but not "of noble personal title"
          when they come into the SCA. That is, you are of a family line that the Lord
          High Muck-A-Muck would consider worthy of social interaction, but you have
          not yet inherited/been_awarded a *personal* status of rank.

          That is the presumption, with the effect that no one is ever forced to
          portray
          a serf. The life of a serf in the Middle Ages was a lot of hard work and
          poverty, so we don't expect anyone to want to do that as a hobby. We study
          the Middle Ages as they were, but re-create the Middle Ages as they
          should have
          been.

          All that being said, if anyone *wishes* to portray a serf, either as an
          alternate persona or as their main persona, it's not against the rules.

          There are also, even among those not portraying the lower class per se,
          cultural differences in how "minor nobility" is perceived and portrayed.
          For example, one new SCA member might wish to portray someone who is a
          very erudite and mannerly court hanger-on at Florence, whereas another new
          member might wish to portray a Norseman who thinks the whole notion of
          courtly
          behavior is ridiculous and pretentious. One might say, "But of course all
          civilized folk understand the nuances of civility!", whereas the other might
          say, "Pshaw. A man of honor speaks the truth, plainly as he sees it, to the
          other man's face, and none of this whispering behind his back!" Both of
          these
          gentles have the same SCA rank, but their personas' cultures would interpret
          that rank differently.

          With respect to doing chores at events and such, in our locale (Midrealm) it
          seems to be viewed one of two ways. Some people just temporarily suspend the
          illusion with respect to their persona..."There are dishes that need to be
          washed, and I'm going to help. For now, I'm just a guy washing dishes, not
          the Baron of Floobydust." On the other hand, as the *SCA* practices the art
          of nobility, helping out with scut work is not considered "beneath" those of
          high rank, but rather is esteemed as an act of "courtly generosity". It
          may or
          may not be period to have that attitude, but these are the Current Middle
          Ages, not the historical Middle Ages. :)

          Short answer: You are permitted to be a serf if you want, but no one can
          ever force you into that role.

          fesswise reversed sable.

          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        • Ian Green
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
            I know several people who have non-nobility personas. I know a couple of
            which who have personas and lowly lay friars as well.

            It is rare in the SCA to see these personas but they are as legitimate as
            any other persona to have and to play. That said, the default is that yes,
            you are minor nobility until or unless you have received awards that make
            you a "higher" class of nobility. Most of the people I know who play the
            serfs and lay friars are of the highest orders in the SCA. They still
            enjoy having serf personas.

            Much like other things in the SCA, we politely ignore the obvious
            inconsistencies. You can't be a peasant/serf and be a peer of the realm in
            historical reality. Becoming a peer of the realm would automatically
            elevate someone from whatever station they were into one of the highest
            possible stations. Oh well, its the SCA, where we let you be what you want
            to be more or less.

            You don't get to call yourself a Knight, but you can earn that title. You
            can't be Prince, Princess, King, Queen, Duke, Duchess, Count, Countess,
            Viscount, Viscountess, Baron, Baroness, The Honorable Lord, The Honorable
            Lady, Lord, Lady, Master and/or Mistress (feminine of Master,) unless you
            EARN those titles. Just about everything else is fair game.

            As for how much free time Peasants had, more than most people think. In
            fact for most of the time period of the SCA peasants and serfs had shorter
            work hours during the week than a full time employee does today. Yes,

            Yours in Service,

            Ian

            On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 9:14 PM, shelbystein <shelbystein@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Thanks! I appreciate all of the great information. I realize the middle
            > ages, while being really cool, weren't so great for everyone! I think it
            > was mentioned that everyone is part of the nobility. Are there no serfs?

            --
            Yours In Service,

            THLord Ian the Green

            "Veritatem resistit simplicitate"

          • Ian Green
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
              An excellent book about how people lived in the Middle Ages would be:

              Making a living in the Middle Ages: The People of Britain 850-1520 by
              Christopher Dyer, PhD.
              http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/historical/people/cdyer

              Book:

              http://www.amazon.com/Making-Living-Middle-Ages-850-1520/dp/0300101910/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1359653205&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=living+in+the+middle+ages+800+to+1600+book+england+scotland+wales

              Highly suggest the book for anyone interested in how people lived in the
              Middle ages for England, Wales and Scotland. It covers the nobility, the
              non-nobles and the Church very well.

              Yours in Service,

              Ian the Green

              --
              Yours In Service,

              THLord Ian the Green

              "Veritatem resistit simplicitate"

            • D'vorah bint Da'ud
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
                >> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 9:14 PM, shelbystein <shelbystein@...>wrote:
                >>
                >>> Thanks! I appreciate all of the great information. I realize the middle
                >>> ages, while being really cool, weren't so great for everyone! I think it
                >>> was mentioned that everyone is part of the nobility. Are there no serfs?

                I will say this: those who portray serfs, servants, and others with little to no status can get away with owning less garb (and less expensive garb) than those whose status would mean wearing the simpler/less expensive things would be instantly a point of embarrassment. I do know those who have decided to portray those of the peasant class, until they got their clothing and encampments a bit upgraded.
                D'vorah bint Da'ud
                Protégé to Meister Albrecht Waldfurster, OP
                Gyldenholt, Caid (Orange, CA)
                dvorah@...
                http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
                Twitter: @DvorahSCA
                Facebook: D'vorah bint Da'ud

                If you have a parrot, and don't teach it to say "Help, they've trapped me in the body of a parrot!" you are wasting everyone's time.
              • Shelby Stein
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
                   That sounds like a great book.  Do you know of any books that include Ireland, or that cover Ireland specifically?  I don't mean the politics but the day-to-day living.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
                    Actually the book mentioned does cover Ireland as well. Though not as
                    completely. I'm still working my way through it as real life (you will
                    hear that term a lot) keeps popping up taking time away from my hobby.

                    I might suggest books by Dr Sean Duffy of the Trinity College in Ireland
                    for books on Ireland Specifically. For example the book "Ireland in the
                    Middle Ages."

                    http://www.amazon.com/Ireland-British-History-Perspective-Paperback/dp/0312163908/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359690453&sr=1-1&keywords=ireland+in+the+middle+ages

                    Ian

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
                      Thanks!  I will look for into that.  Does anybody happen to know about banks in the middle ages?  I read that they existed in some form or another.  Did people just keep all their gold coin lying around?  How did they protect it?  I read some people used money changers to finance wars, thereby preserving their immediate wealth.

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 1, 2013
                        For many book subjects I use Amazon.com kind of like a book google search.

                        I make sure to click on books then I type in the search query.

                        In this case I typed in "Banks in the Middle Ages," and came up with a
                        suitable list of books.

                        "Money and the Middle Ages,"

                        http://www.amazon.com/Money-Middle-Ages-Jacques-Goff/dp/0745652999/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359727283&sr=1-1&keywords=banks+in+the+middle+ages

                        "Banking Trade and Industry: Europe, America and Asia from the 13th to the
                        20th Century"

                        http://www.amazon.com/Banking-Trade-Industry-Thirteenth-Twentieth/dp/0521188873/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359727283&sr=1-2&keywords=banks+in+the+middle+ages

                        Then to make sure it is written by someone of authority I go to Google and
                        search the Author's Name and then add the word Author after it.

                        If that search results are too broad and I can't find the person, I will
                        type in the book name as well and hope to get some good biographical
                        information. I used to just click on the authors name on Amazon but in my
                        experience it doesn't tell me often enough if the person is a Ph.D. in the
                        subject or just some hack or anything in between.

                        If it is something I want, I then contact my local bookstore and/or library
                        and see if they carry it. If they don't I check various booksellers online
                        for the best prices.

                        Best of luck finding information on your interests! The more we learn the
                        better people we become is my motto. Of course I'm the child of two
                        teachers.

                        Yours in Service,

                        Ian the Green

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 1, 2013
                          Thanks for the info!  I will definitely look into it.  I notice some conflicting information on the internet.  Probably best to stick to books!