Re: [SCA Newcomers] A Woman's Place

  • Ian Green
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2013
      Shelby,

      I met my wife at an SCA event.

      She used to be able to stab me a whole lot better than I could stab her.
      Fencing with dull blunted rapiers mind you, but she could kick my butt.
      Life happened so not so much anymore.

      BTW in the SCA the most common conversation I hear men having is about
      different sewing, embroidery and clothing techniques to use to make
      something pretty.

      Me? I'm a callgraphy scribe, do fencing and have taught some classes on
      gender roles in the time period the SCA covers. More egalitarian than one
      might think really.

      In the SCA being a male or a female is NOT a barrier to doing any activity
      you want. Including heavy fighting and winning the right to be queen by
      winning the Crown Tournament. It has happened.

      Welcome to the wonderful world of the SCA, an educational not-for-profit
      that thinks that learning about the middle ages shouldn't be limited by
      one's gender.

      Yours in Service,

      The Honorable Lord Ian the Green

      --
      Yours In Service,

      THLord Ian the Green

      "Veritatem resistit simplicitate"

    • j davis
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 23, 2013
        hi there shelby. welcome to the SCA. a woman's place is always below that of a supiour man. but only if she can find one. those of us who thought that we were supiour, soon met many women that proved us to be in error.  seriously, even in the middle ages women were not as subjegated as modern feminists want you to believe. so, (i am assuming here that you are of the female gender), no man in his proper mind, will treat you as beneath him. if you find one that does, please point him out-loudly-so we might all enjoy seeing this rare example of a dying moronity.

        the basic idea of the society is to recreate the better parts of the middle ages, and improve on the bad parts. (we believe in baths and deodorant!) so, please meet up with us, tell us where you are located. we might be able to help you find a local group join. and feel free in any case to come on here and ask any question you want.  when i was teaching i often told my students that the only stupid question was the one that was not asked. ( i taught soliders in the army in the early eighties. NEVER challenge these types like that! the results are terriffying!)

        again, welcome, have fun!  brother john of antioche