Re: [SCA Newcomers] A Woman's Place

  • Alison Choyce
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2013
      Now that is an excellent question!!

      First of all, it is a myth that women were inferior to men throughout the
      medieval period, there were cultures where the women were certainly viewed
      as property, but there were also cultures where the women had equality,
      could rule, own property and choose whether or not to marry. The Norse
      cultures are known for this.

      In the SCA, we try to learn and understand what the truth was, meaning that
      some of us try to understand how they thought. Religion is the biggest
      hurdle for us, because religion has a very different role in society today
      than it did then. We tend to pigeon-hole the importance of it, as in
      understanding that some people were more faithful than others. What is hard
      for us to comprehend is how ever present of a role religion played in all
      aspects of life, including how women were viewed.

      In the SCA, women hold every role that men can hold, women fight in
      tourneys, hold major offices, and do anything that they choose to do. We
      are very open in our thought processes. We re-enact 'best of the middle
      ages', we don't have too many people portraying lepers either.

      We are all considered to be at least minor nobility, thus the manner of
      addressing someone you don't know as m'lord, or m'lady (note the lower case
      "L", which indicates that either the person's status is unknown, or they
      have not yet received the Award of Arms)

      This is East Kingdom-centric, but feel free to read these articles, you may
      find useful information in them
      http://chatelaine.eastkingdom.org/newcomers.html

      In service,
      Lady Alison Wodehalle
      East Kingdom

      --
      ~Alison

    • Ian Green
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2013
        Shelby,

        I met my wife at an SCA event.

        She used to be able to stab me a whole lot better than I could stab her.
        Fencing with dull blunted rapiers mind you, but she could kick my butt.
        Life happened so not so much anymore.

        BTW in the SCA the most common conversation I hear men having is about
        different sewing, embroidery and clothing techniques to use to make
        something pretty.

        Me? I'm a callgraphy scribe, do fencing and have taught some classes on
        gender roles in the time period the SCA covers. More egalitarian than one
        might think really.

        In the SCA being a male or a female is NOT a barrier to doing any activity
        you want. Including heavy fighting and winning the right to be queen by
        winning the Crown Tournament. It has happened.

        Welcome to the wonderful world of the SCA, an educational not-for-profit
        that thinks that learning about the middle ages shouldn't be limited by
        one's gender.

        Yours in Service,

        The Honorable Lord Ian the Green

        --
        Yours In Service,

        THLord Ian the Green

        "Veritatem resistit simplicitate"

      • j davis
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 23, 2013
          hi there shelby. welcome to the SCA. a woman's place is always below that of a supiour man. but only if she can find one. those of us who thought that we were supiour, soon met many women that proved us to be in error.  seriously, even in the middle ages women were not as subjegated as modern feminists want you to believe. so, (i am assuming here that you are of the female gender), no man in his proper mind, will treat you as beneath him. if you find one that does, please point him out-loudly-so we might all enjoy seeing this rare example of a dying moronity.

          the basic idea of the society is to recreate the better parts of the middle ages, and improve on the bad parts. (we believe in baths and deodorant!) so, please meet up with us, tell us where you are located. we might be able to help you find a local group join. and feel free in any case to come on here and ask any question you want.  when i was teaching i often told my students that the only stupid question was the one that was not asked. ( i taught soliders in the army in the early eighties. NEVER challenge these types like that! the results are terriffying!)

          again, welcome, have fun!  brother john of antioche