A Woman's Place

  • shelbystein
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2013
      Hi,I am Shelby. I am brand new to the SCA. I hadn't had any exposure to the SCA until recently when I stumbled on the website. I was very happy to find it! Don't know how I've missed it for all this time, but I'm glad to be here!

      One question is that I am assuming the SCA is not strictly literal to the medieval period? For instance, the role of women being seen as inferior to that of men.
    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2013
        One of the sayings associated with the SCA is "Not as it was but as is should have been".

        There are a lot of roles that Ladies' in the SCA are involved in that, in the time period that the SCA encompasses, would have been pretty much bared to them. So no, it is not literal.

        William

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "shelbystein" wrote:

        > Hi,I am Shelby. I am brand new to the SCA. I hadn't had any exposure to the SCA until recently when I stumbled on the website. I was very happy to find it! Don't know how I've missed it for all this time, but I'm glad to be here!
        >
        > One question is that I am assuming the SCA is not strictly literal to the medieval period? For instance, the role of women being seen as inferior to that of men.

      • D'vorah bint Da'ud
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2013
          On 30 Jan 2013, at 10:41 AM, shelbystein wrote:

          > One question is that I am assuming the SCA is not strictly literal to the medieval period? For instance, the role of women being seen as inferior to that of men.

          Welcome, Shelby! :) You're right, we're not strict literalists. We take our name pretty seriously: Society for *Creative* Anachronism. What we seek to do isn't reply everything about the Middle Ages, but rather, to re-create the positive aspects of them. We don't mandate sexism, homophobia, racism, any one particular religion, or Plague.

          What we DO re-create are the skills and knowledges of the medieval period (well, actually, *any* time before 1600, but usually from about the… what, 7th century onwards? someone check me out on that). Women can fight if that's what interests them. Men can sew and cook, if that's what interests them. Anything -- ANYTHING -- that interests you about the Middle Ages, you're permitted and encouraged to pursue, regardless of whether your gender would've been permitted to do it in the Middle Ages.

          And it's broader than that, too. If you choose to portray, say, a 6th century Norsewoman, but suddenly find yourself drawn to a style of calligraphy or sword work that didn't exist until the 9th or the 13th century in Arabia or Hungary or Italy, that's completely fine. Just do what you enjoy, and there'll be others who are probably doing it too, and who think it's very cool that you're into it.
          D'vorah bint Da'ud
          Protégé to Meister Albrecht Waldfurster, OP
          Gyldenholt, Caid (Orange, CA)
          dvorah@...
          http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
          Twitter: @DvorahSCA
          Facebook: D'vorah bint Da'ud

          If you have a parrot, and don't teach it to say "Help, they've trapped me in the body of a parrot!" you are wasting everyone's time.
        • Alison Choyce
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2013
            Now that is an excellent question!!

            First of all, it is a myth that women were inferior to men throughout the
            medieval period, there were cultures where the women were certainly viewed
            as property, but there were also cultures where the women had equality,
            could rule, own property and choose whether or not to marry. The Norse
            cultures are known for this.

            In the SCA, we try to learn and understand what the truth was, meaning that
            some of us try to understand how they thought. Religion is the biggest
            hurdle for us, because religion has a very different role in society today
            than it did then. We tend to pigeon-hole the importance of it, as in
            understanding that some people were more faithful than others. What is hard
            for us to comprehend is how ever present of a role religion played in all
            aspects of life, including how women were viewed.

            In the SCA, women hold every role that men can hold, women fight in
            tourneys, hold major offices, and do anything that they choose to do. We
            are very open in our thought processes. We re-enact 'best of the middle
            ages', we don't have too many people portraying lepers either.

            We are all considered to be at least minor nobility, thus the manner of
            addressing someone you don't know as m'lord, or m'lady (note the lower case
            "L", which indicates that either the person's status is unknown, or they
            have not yet received the Award of Arms)

            This is East Kingdom-centric, but feel free to read these articles, you may
            find useful information in them
            http://chatelaine.eastkingdom.org/newcomers.html

            In service,
            Lady Alison Wodehalle
            East Kingdom

            --
            ~Alison

          • Ian Green
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 30, 2013
              Shelby,

              I met my wife at an SCA event.

              She used to be able to stab me a whole lot better than I could stab her.
              Fencing with dull blunted rapiers mind you, but she could kick my butt.
              Life happened so not so much anymore.

              BTW in the SCA the most common conversation I hear men having is about
              different sewing, embroidery and clothing techniques to use to make
              something pretty.

              Me? I'm a callgraphy scribe, do fencing and have taught some classes on
              gender roles in the time period the SCA covers. More egalitarian than one
              might think really.

              In the SCA being a male or a female is NOT a barrier to doing any activity
              you want. Including heavy fighting and winning the right to be queen by
              winning the Crown Tournament. It has happened.

              Welcome to the wonderful world of the SCA, an educational not-for-profit
              that thinks that learning about the middle ages shouldn't be limited by
              one's gender.

              Yours in Service,

              The Honorable Lord Ian the Green

              --
              Yours In Service,

              THLord Ian the Green

              "Veritatem resistit simplicitate"

            • j davis
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 23, 2013
                hi there shelby. welcome to the SCA. a woman's place is always below that of a supiour man. but only if she can find one. those of us who thought that we were supiour, soon met many women that proved us to be in error.  seriously, even in the middle ages women were not as subjegated as modern feminists want you to believe. so, (i am assuming here that you are of the female gender), no man in his proper mind, will treat you as beneath him. if you find one that does, please point him out-loudly-so we might all enjoy seeing this rare example of a dying moronity.

                the basic idea of the society is to recreate the better parts of the middle ages, and improve on the bad parts. (we believe in baths and deodorant!) so, please meet up with us, tell us where you are located. we might be able to help you find a local group join. and feel free in any case to come on here and ask any question you want.  when i was teaching i often told my students that the only stupid question was the one that was not asked. ( i taught soliders in the army in the early eighties. NEVER challenge these types like that! the results are terriffying!)

                again, welcome, have fun!  brother john of antioche