Finding a new home within the SCA

  • Christey
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2013
      Greetings my lords and ladies. I am a fairly new member to the SCA. When i started going to events I lived in the Kingdom of Meridies but have moved now to what I believe is Glenn Abhann. I would like to find a barony or shire so that I may become more involved in the Sca as a whole but I am having trouble doing so. How can I get some help finding a group fairly close to me so that I can grow in the SCA?
    • Ian Green
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30, 2013
        Christey73,

        You may wish to visit this helpful web page.

        http://www.sca.org/geography/findsca.html

        If you need further assistance, I will be happy to do what I can for you.

        The Honorable Lord Ian the Green

        --
        Yours In Service,

        THLord Ian the Green

        "Veritatem resistit simplicitate"

      • D'vorah bint Da'ud
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 2013
          On 28 Jan 2013, at 9:07 AM, Christey wrote:

          > Greetings my lords and ladies. I am a fairly new member to the SCA. When i started going to events I lived in the Kingdom of Meridies but have moved now to what I believe is Glenn Abhann. I would like to find a barony or shire so that I may become more involved in the Sca as a whole but I am having trouble doing so. How can I get some help finding a group fairly close to me so that I can grow in the SCA?

          You've come to the right place. :) Where exactly are you now, if you don't mind sharing the name of the town, county, and/or state with us? I'm confident someone from that area, or at least someone who knows someone from there, will be able to help.

          Alternatively you could try http://sca.org/geography/kingdom_lookup.html -- And so you'll be able to find it again if you lose that link, here's how I got to it:
          1. Go to http://www.sca.org
          2. Look in the right-hand margin, to the little red-outlined box titled "New to the SCA? Start here…" One of the five links is "Find your local group." Click that.
          3. The page you'll find has a paragraph that is headed/titled "How do I find them?" I have a small screen, so I had to scroll down to read that paragraph, but there's a link in the first sentence, and that link leads you to http://sca.org/geography/kingdom_lookup.html. That link will help you find your kingdom. At that point, the kingdom website SHOULD have a list of baronies and shires, and one or more of those will apply to you. :) If you're really bad at geography (like me), you might have to still contact the kingdom chatelaine and ask him/her to help you figure out where your town falls within the counties. I had to do that. But they'll help; that's the chatelaine's job. :) Some areas call this person the Hospitaller, and some may also call the person a greeter, newbie helper, or something else. But for sure, they'll hook you up.

          Good luck in your new home! :)
          D'vorah bint Da'ud
          Protégé to Meister Albrecht Waldfurster, OP
          Gyldenholt, Caid (Orange, CA)
          dvorah@...
          http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
          Twitter: @DvorahSCA
          Facebook: D'vorah bint Da'ud

          If you have a parrot, and don't teach it to say "Help, they've trapped me in the body of a parrot!" you are wasting everyone's time.
        • Alison Choyce
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 30, 2013
            Greetings All!

            I answered this good gentle privately, and copied the Kingdom Chatelaine of
            Gleann Abhann, who should be able to help Christey find her group, even if
            she has to help her look at a bordering kingdom. I have served the East for
            a period of time, and the quickest route, when you can't find it yourself
            on the web page, is to email the kingdom chatelaine, this exactly the type
            of request we are set up to deal with. And we want to help. :)

            Alison Wodehalle
            East Kingdom

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 20, 2013
              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, D'vorah bint Da'ud <dvorah@...> wrote:

              > On 28 Jan 2013, at 9:07 AM, Christey wrote:
              >
              > > Greetings my lords and ladies. I am a fairly new member to the SCA. When i started going to events I lived in the Kingdom of Meridies but have moved now to what I believe is Glenn Abhann. I would like to find a barony or shire so that I may become more involved in the Sca as a whole but I am having trouble doing so. How can I get some help finding a group fairly close to me so that I can grow in the SCA?
              >

              > You've come to the right place. :) Where exactly are you now, if you don't mind sharing the name of the town, county, and/or state with us? I'm confident someone from that area, or at least someone who knows someone from there, will be able to help.
              >
              > Alternatively you could try http://sca.org/geography/kingdom_lookup.html -- And so you'll be able to find it again if you lose that link, here's how I got to it:
              > 1. Go to http://www.sca.org
              > 2. Look in the right-hand margin, to the little red-outlined box titled "New to the SCA? Start here…" One of the five links is "Find your local group." Click that.
              > 3. The page you'll find has a paragraph that is headed/titled "How do I find them?" I have a small screen, so I had to scroll down to read that paragraph, but there's a link in the first sentence, and that link leads you to http://sca.org/geography/kingdom_lookup.html. That link will help you find your kingdom. At that point, the kingdom website SHOULD have a list of baronies and shires, and one or more of those will apply to you. :) If you're really bad at geography (like me), you might have to still contact the kingdom chatelaine and ask him/her to help you figure out where your town falls within the counties. I had to do that. But they'll help; that's the chatelaine's job. :) Some areas call this person the Hospitaller, and some may also call the person a greeter, newbie helper, or something else. But for sure, they'll hook you up.
              >
              > Good luck in your new home! :)
              > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
              > D'vorah bint Da'ud
              > Protégé to Meister Albrecht Waldfurster, OP
              > Gyldenholt, Caid (Orange, CA)
              > dvorah@...
              > http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
              > Twitter: @DvorahSCA
              > Facebook: D'vorah bint Da'ud
              >
              > If you have a parrot, and don't teach it to say "Help, they've trapped me in the body of a parrot!" you are wasting everyone's time.

              Thank you all for your help. I live in Sidon Mississippi. I believe the closest group to me is Colombus but that is quite a long way away. If the county helps that is Leflore County Mississippi. I just got my computer back online after it decided to crash on me but I will be trying your suggestions. Thank you very much m'lords and m'ladies hope to meet some of you at Gulf Wars.