Re: [SCA Newcomers] Joining a house hold

  • Gavin Kinkade
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 22, 2013
      Greetings,

      Households are a part of the Society that have their own rules, requirements, and membership. Generally they are started by a peer, in the effort to instruct non-belts in the craft of that house. Membership may be a simple as being asked, while others only accept members of a certain type of craft or skill. A fighting household is one example. Joining a household should not be something you jump into freely or rapidly. And it is certainly not a requirement to be knighted, if that is your ultimate goal.

      Different households have different ways of getting or recruting new members. I had been fighting for over a year and a half before being asked by my Knight to join the house. We met because I accidentlaly camped in their area, and after talking found out we were very much a like in values, and things we enjoy. Others are guested into the house by a squire or man-at-arms to be looked over, and still others join by asking the knight or peer if they can join. IT all depends on the household.

      BEcause it is fighting related I would certainly want to look around for a while before commting to one house. Knights take squires for many different reasons. Friendship is one reason, likeability is another and not just with the head of the household but the other members as well. I know that my Don, asked all my Cadet brothers and sisters if they felt I was a good fit, and they agreed. MY Knight asked me after watching me fight at several practices and because we have lots in common. OUr birthday being one of them :) LOL

      About the only good advise I can tell you is take your time, meet the people, see if there is checmistry, and if so, then you will know.

      dont be discouraged if you are not asked to join, there are many reasons you might not be asked, and if that happens move on and keep fighting and playing the game, above all have fun.

      In Loyal Service
      Lord Gavin Kyncade

      Marcaster Archery and Thrown weapons Ranger
      Squire to Sir Takamatsu
      Apprentice to Maitresse Aspasia Moonwind
      Cadet to Don Tomas Mac Coran
      gavin.kinkade@...
      941-782-8464    (home)
      941-565-7592     (cell)