Re: [SCA Newcomers] Joining a house hold

  • Sumayya al Ghaziyya
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 22, 2013
      I struggled with this for awhile too, and before joining a household I received a lot of great advice. If you have any specific questions feel free to track me down off the list, i'm always happy to talk to other fighters, and if I get the opportunity to share some of the great advice i've been given, i'm all for it!

      The first piece which I ignored because i'm stubborn, was to wait a year. That gives you time to find the right household. There's a lot of them out there, and there's absolutely no reason you have to join any of them. If you want to learn from someone, there's likely throngs of people willing to work with you regardless of whether or not you're part of their household.

      If you've made the decision that joining a household is something that will add enjoyment to your SCA time, then make sure that you join knowing what that entails. Every household works differently and has different opinions on what we do in the SCA. Make sure that their opinions and yours align, as most of the households that i've interacted with tend to be of the opinion that once you've joined you're in it for the long run.

      Before making the decision to join a particular household, spend a lot of time with them. If possible, camp with them, get to know what they're like on a personal level. I've found that how people act at practice is not necessarily how they act after a few beers when they're comfortable in camp. I've made friends at practice, but great friends around a campfire after battle.

      With regards to your specific question, now that i've rambled for far too long� I've found that the direct approach works best with fighters. It's not impolite to follow up. If you don't feel comfortable asking again, then talk to you friend who is a part of the house and ask what the protocol for joining is.

      Anyhow, I hope that this is a little helpful, and again feel free to contact me off list with any additional questions!

      Sumayya Hatun al Ghaziyya

      MKA: Megan O�Shea

      On Jan 19, 2013, at 3:23 PM, godsbeachchick <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > Ok i"m one of the only women heavy fighters in my local group an I want to join one of the house holds thats a fighting house hold..I'm not sure what to do or how to go about it..I approched the head of the house an told him my request but have not heard back from m'lord about it.Dont want to hound him but its been a few weeks since it's happened..an i'm not on watch about it..my good friend/ brother is in the house an was put on watch in march..not sure what to do now

    • Gavin Kinkade
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 22, 2013
        Greetings,

        Households are a part of the Society that have their own rules, requirements, and membership. Generally they are started by a peer, in the effort to instruct non-belts in the craft of that house. Membership may be a simple as being asked, while others only accept members of a certain type of craft or skill. A fighting household is one example. Joining a household should not be something you jump into freely or rapidly. And it is certainly not a requirement to be knighted, if that is your ultimate goal.

        Different households have different ways of getting or recruting new members. I had been fighting for over a year and a half before being asked by my Knight to join the house. We met because I accidentlaly camped in their area, and after talking found out we were very much a like in values, and things we enjoy. Others are guested into the house by a squire or man-at-arms to be looked over, and still others join by asking the knight or peer if they can join. IT all depends on the household.

        BEcause it is fighting related I would certainly want to look around for a while before commting to one house. Knights take squires for many different reasons. Friendship is one reason, likeability is another and not just with the head of the household but the other members as well. I know that my Don, asked all my Cadet brothers and sisters if they felt I was a good fit, and they agreed. MY Knight asked me after watching me fight at several practices and because we have lots in common. OUr birthday being one of them :) LOL

        About the only good advise I can tell you is take your time, meet the people, see if there is checmistry, and if so, then you will know.

        dont be discouraged if you are not asked to join, there are many reasons you might not be asked, and if that happens move on and keep fighting and playing the game, above all have fun.

        In Loyal Service
        Lord Gavin Kyncade

        Marcaster Archery and Thrown weapons Ranger
        Squire to Sir Takamatsu
        Apprentice to Maitresse Aspasia Moonwind
        Cadet to Don Tomas Mac Coran
        gavin.kinkade@...
        941-782-8464    (home)
        941-565-7592     (cell)