Re: [SCA Newcomers] (unknown) [[ MODERATOR ]]

  • Tom Hickey
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 20, 2012
      Justinos, please unsubscribe me from this SCA list.
      It's interesting and occasionally I've been able to learn interesting things from members of the group.
      However since I live and work full-time in Silver City I can't attend events or even meet members of the group.
      Also this isn't the first time someone on the list has been hacked and I just don't want to risk it happening to me if I open an e-mail.  Sorry, thank you.
      Tom Hickey

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 20, 2012
        Just as a note, you cannot be hacked from viewing an email. You need to
        execute, or take an action, for a virus to infect your computer. Yahoo
        had a load of accounts hacked recently...the hackers are not only using
        the actual yahoo accounts to send out their emails, but they are also
        using the names of people to send out emails from 'other' addresses. I
        randomly get emails from friends who are in yahoo groups with me, but do
        not use yahoo email addresses...it is their name, but is not from any
        email address they are connected to.

        Nicole

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 20, 2012
          Sorry, in the early 14th century we don't understand such sorcery.  Thank you.

          ________________________________
          Just as a note, you cannot be hacked from viewing an email. You need to
          execute, or take an action, for a virus to infect your computer. Yahoo
          had a load of accounts hacked recently...the hackers are not only using
          the actual yahoo accounts to send out their emails, but they are also
          using the names of people to send out emails from 'other' addresses. I
          randomly get emails from friends who are in yahoo groups with me, but do
          not use yahoo email addresses...it is their name, but is not from any
          email address they are connected to.

          Nicole

          On 12/20/2012 8:18 PM, Tom Hickey wrote:

          > Justinos, please unsubscribe me from this SCA list.
          > It's interesting and occasionally I've been able to learn interesting
          > things from members of the group.
          > However since I live and work full-time in Silver City I can't attend
          > events or even meet members of the group.
          > Also this isn't the first time someone on the list has been hacked and
          > I just don't want to risk it happening to me if I open an e-mail.
          > Sorry, thank you.
          > Tom Hickey
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Justinos Tekton
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 21, 2012
            On 12/20/2012 08:18 PM, Tom Hickey wrote:
            > Justinos, please unsubscribe me from this SCA list.
            > It's interesting and occasionally I've been able to learn interesting things from members of the group.
            > However since I live and work full-time in Silver City I can't attend events or even meet members of the group.
            > Also this isn't the first time someone on the list has been hacked and I just don't want to risk it happening to me if I open an e-mail. Sorry, thank you.
            > Tom Hickey

            Good morning!

            I'm sorry to see that you want to leave the list, but of course respect
            your decision. As moderator of this list on Yahoo and about two dozen
            lists on my own servers, I have been extremely frustrated by the hacking
            of Yahoo and Hotmail email accounts, particularly since most of the attacks
            I've seen have been "phishing" attacks, which work by tricking the user
            into divulging their password. If people would just be more careful about
            clicking links and believing "login" pages, phishing attacks would be
            almost unheard of.

            To unsubscribe from the list, you don't actually need my help. Just
            follow the instructions that appear in the footer of every message.

            Kind regards,

            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/