Re: [SCA Newcomers] (unknown) [[ MODERATOR ]]

  • Justinos Tekton
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 20, 2012
      On 12/20/2012 05:52 PM, Justinos Tekton wrote:
      > On 12/20/2012 05:31 PM, Roman Guzman wrote:
      >> >http://laband
      > Spam link -- do not click (I have redacted most of it above to protect
      > the list).
      >
      > The posting member has been placed on "moderated" status
      > until the hacked email account is cleared, and I have deleted
      > the offending message from the archives.

      I should also mention that I carefully examined this link from a Linux
      system,
      which is much less prone to malware than Windows, and found that the page
      contains some highly suspicious JavaScript code. So *really* don't click
      that link.

      fesswise reversed sable.

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • Tom Hickey
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 20, 2012
        Justinos, please unsubscribe me from this SCA list.
        It's interesting and occasionally I've been able to learn interesting things from members of the group.
        However since I live and work full-time in Silver City I can't attend events or even meet members of the group.
        Also this isn't the first time someone on the list has been hacked and I just don't want to risk it happening to me if I open an e-mail.  Sorry, thank you.
        Tom Hickey

        ________________________________
        On 12/20/2012 05:31 PM, Roman Guzman wrote:
        > http://laband/

        Spam link -- do not click (I have redacted most of it above to protect
        the list).

        The posting member has been placed on "moderated" status
        until the hacked email account is cleared, and I have deleted
        the offending message from the archives.

        fesswise reversed sable.

        mailto:justin%404th.com http://4th.com/sca/justin/

      • Nikki
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 20, 2012
          Just as a note, you cannot be hacked from viewing an email. You need to
          execute, or take an action, for a virus to infect your computer. Yahoo
          had a load of accounts hacked recently...the hackers are not only using
          the actual yahoo accounts to send out their emails, but they are also
          using the names of people to send out emails from 'other' addresses. I
          randomly get emails from friends who are in yahoo groups with me, but do
          not use yahoo email addresses...it is their name, but is not from any
          email address they are connected to.

          Nicole

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 20, 2012
            Sorry, in the early 14th century we don't understand such sorcery.  Thank you.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 21, 2012
              On 12/20/2012 08:18 PM, Tom Hickey wrote:
              > Justinos, please unsubscribe me from this SCA list.
              > It's interesting and occasionally I've been able to learn interesting things from members of the group.
              > However since I live and work full-time in Silver City I can't attend events or even meet members of the group.
              > Also this isn't the first time someone on the list has been hacked and I just don't want to risk it happening to me if I open an e-mail. Sorry, thank you.
              > Tom Hickey

              Good morning!

              I'm sorry to see that you want to leave the list, but of course respect
              your decision. As moderator of this list on Yahoo and about two dozen
              lists on my own servers, I have been extremely frustrated by the hacking
              of Yahoo and Hotmail email accounts, particularly since most of the attacks
              I've seen have been "phishing" attacks, which work by tricking the user
              into divulging their password. If people would just be more careful about
              clicking links and believing "login" pages, phishing attacks would be
              almost unheard of.

              To unsubscribe from the list, you don't actually need my help. Just
              follow the instructions that appear in the footer of every message.

              Kind regards,