Re: [SCA Newcomers] (unknown) [[ MODERATOR ]]

  • Justinos Tekton
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 20, 2012
      On 12/20/2012 05:31 PM, Roman Guzman wrote:
      > http://laband

      Spam link -- do not click (I have redacted most of it above to protect
      the list).

      The posting member has been placed on "moderated" status
      until the hacked email account is cleared, and I have deleted
      the offending message from the archives.

      fesswise reversed sable.

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • Justinos Tekton
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 20, 2012
        On 12/20/2012 05:52 PM, Justinos Tekton wrote:
        > On 12/20/2012 05:31 PM, Roman Guzman wrote:
        >> >http://laband
        > Spam link -- do not click (I have redacted most of it above to protect
        > the list).
        >
        > The posting member has been placed on "moderated" status
        > until the hacked email account is cleared, and I have deleted
        > the offending message from the archives.

        I should also mention that I carefully examined this link from a Linux
        system,
        which is much less prone to malware than Windows, and found that the page
        contains some highly suspicious JavaScript code. So *really* don't click
        that link.

        fesswise reversed sable.

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • Tom Hickey
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 20, 2012
          Justinos, please unsubscribe me from this SCA list.
          It's interesting and occasionally I've been able to learn interesting things from members of the group.
          However since I live and work full-time in Silver City I can't attend events or even meet members of the group.
          Also this isn't the first time someone on the list has been hacked and I just don't want to risk it happening to me if I open an e-mail.  Sorry, thank you.
          Tom Hickey

          ________________________________
          On 12/20/2012 05:31 PM, Roman Guzman wrote:
          > http://laband/

          Spam link -- do not click (I have redacted most of it above to protect
          the list).

          The posting member has been placed on "moderated" status
          until the hacked email account is cleared, and I have deleted
          the offending message from the archives.

          fesswise reversed sable.

          mailto:justin%404th.com http://4th.com/sca/justin/

        • Nikki
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 20, 2012
            Just as a note, you cannot be hacked from viewing an email. You need to
            execute, or take an action, for a virus to infect your computer. Yahoo
            had a load of accounts hacked recently...the hackers are not only using
            the actual yahoo accounts to send out their emails, but they are also
            using the names of people to send out emails from 'other' addresses. I
            randomly get emails from friends who are in yahoo groups with me, but do
            not use yahoo email addresses...it is their name, but is not from any
            email address they are connected to.

            Nicole

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 20, 2012
              Sorry, in the early 14th century we don't understand such sorcery.  Thank you.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 21, 2012
                On 12/20/2012 08:18 PM, Tom Hickey wrote:
                > Justinos, please unsubscribe me from this SCA list.
                > It's interesting and occasionally I've been able to learn interesting things from members of the group.
                > However since I live and work full-time in Silver City I can't attend events or even meet members of the group.
                > Also this isn't the first time someone on the list has been hacked and I just don't want to risk it happening to me if I open an e-mail. Sorry, thank you.
                > Tom Hickey

                Good morning!

                I'm sorry to see that you want to leave the list, but of course respect
                your decision. As moderator of this list on Yahoo and about two dozen
                lists on my own servers, I have been extremely frustrated by the hacking
                of Yahoo and Hotmail email accounts, particularly since most of the attacks
                I've seen have been "phishing" attacks, which work by tricking the user
                into divulging their password. If people would just be more careful about
                clicking links and believing "login" pages, phishing attacks would be
                almost unheard of.

                To unsubscribe from the list, you don't actually need my help. Just
                follow the instructions that appear in the footer of every message.

                Kind regards,