Re: [SCA Newcomers] Unique names and name help

  • Sheree
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2012
      Hello Alison!

      Apologies for not replying sooner - I thought it odd that I'd not
      received any replies...until I looked in my spam folder!

      Thanks heaps for clearing up the first-name duplication for me. I was
      hoping that was the case, otherwise it would be quite difficult to
      find a name.

      I've contacted the herald for our group and she found this:
      In regards to "Aryanhwy" it says "Rather extensive documentation from
      Tangwystyl (Harpy Herald) is attached. It is difficult to summarize
      but says that Aryanhwy is a constructed given name and it documents
      the various roots. All elements have been modified to 11th century
      [Welsh] spellings. [Note: The original documentation runs 700 words
      and cites five sources -- I'd love to share its nuances with all of
      you but my wrists could never take that much retyping]. The client
      cares most about language, meaning, sound, and spelling."

      This brings up another set of questions: what is a "constructed given
      name" and are they common or able to be used? Is this the same as a
      "fantasy" name?.

      Thanks again for your help Alison, it is very much appreciated!