Unique names and name help

  • Sheree
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2012
      Hello all --

      Recently I found a name that I quite like, but after a quick search
      have found that a very well known member in the SCA is already using
      the name (Aryanhwy/Aryanwy). Are there any spoken (or unspoken) rules
      to using a similar/same name of someone in the group? Especially
      someone who is very prominent? Additionally, because she is awesome
      and has written a number of really helpful naming articles for all
      sorts of time periods and cultures, I'm having a heck of a time
      finding documentation and historical precedence for the name - all of
      my searches keep coming up for her! Has anyone had a similar issue?

      Thanks for your time!
    • Alison Choyce
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 27, 2012
        Hi Sheree!

        There are so many thoughts I have on your query. First and simplest is
        that, you most certainly can have portions of the same name as someone else
        in the SCA, not identical full names, but many people may have the same
        first name, or many may have the same last name (sir name, by-name, etc).
        You cannot have a name that makes assumptions as to who you are, for
        instance you cannot be Henry Tudor, though you could be Henry Black.

        Aryanhwy is a well known herald, who is known for her name research as you
        have discovered. She is one of many people who writes articles for the
        Academy of Saint Gabriel, which is a SCAdian subgroup of volunteers who
        have an interest and do somewhat intensive research on topics that fall
        under the heading of 'herald' in the SCA. Saint Gabe's has many, many well
        researched name articles and other research available. It is a great
        resource, which I've used for many years now. The search I just used for
        <Aryanhwy> turned up nothing. Here is the link
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/advancedsearch.html . Use brackets around the name
        in your search, because otherwise you will turn up loads of articles in
        which she is cited as a source.

        Although I do not know this for certain, my guess is that Aryanhwy chose
        and registered her name many years ago, because she has been writing
        articles for a long time now. This is relevant because the rules have
        changed through the years to reflect what we have learned as more people do
        more research, and the Society moves towards authenticity. Fantasy names
        can no longer be registered. There are still people in the SCA who have and
        use fantasy names, which were likely registered years ago, but at this time
        you cannot register names that cannot be documented as having been
        plausible in period.

        Try looking for a name on the St Gabriel website, it is a good starting
        point. http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/ . If there is a herald in your
        local group, try working with that person, or checking to see if they have
        a resources you can use.

        Best of luck!
        Alison Wodehalle

        --
        ~Alison

      • Sheree
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2012
          Hello Alison!

          Apologies for not replying sooner - I thought it odd that I'd not
          received any replies...until I looked in my spam folder!

          Thanks heaps for clearing up the first-name duplication for me. I was
          hoping that was the case, otherwise it would be quite difficult to
          find a name.

          I've contacted the herald for our group and she found this:
          http://www.midrealm.org/heraldry/escutcheon/ILoI/archive/9705/9705.html.
          In regards to "Aryanhwy" it says "Rather extensive documentation from
          Tangwystyl (Harpy Herald) is attached. It is difficult to summarize
          but says that Aryanhwy is a constructed given name and it documents
          the various roots. All elements have been modified to 11th century
          [Welsh] spellings. [Note: The original documentation runs 700 words
          and cites five sources -- I'd love to share its nuances with all of
          you but my wrists could never take that much retyping]. The client
          cares most about language, meaning, sound, and spelling."

          This brings up another set of questions: what is a "constructed given
          name" and are they common or able to be used? Is this the same as a
          "fantasy" name?.

          Thanks again for your help Alison, it is very much appreciated!
          Sheree