Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Ashcroft Baker

  • tim belcher
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 12, 2012
      emerokian arms is wonderfull
      i would not send anyone to ashcroft baker

      a good place for used gear and a few other budget armorers is the armour archives
      www.armourarchives.org
      hjalmr (spelling) does some great work for cheap, as do a few others

      Valdemar Steinsson
      mka tim belcher

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 12, 2012
        <<< If I can't find someone local with a good used Helm, I will likely buy it online. Is Ashcroft Baker legit? Their helms are decently priced.>>>

        I don't know if I have any reviews on this particular armorer, but as I see reviews about various armorers, I try to add them to this file in the COMBAT section of the Florilegium:
        armorers-lst (86K) 4/19/10 List of and reviews of SCA armorers.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/armorers-lst.html

        Stefan
        --------
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
      • Joe Jj
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 12, 2012
          Greetings Good CousinI no longer fight due to health problems (oh how I miss it!) but with years of experience behind me as fighter and buying off the net I offer these suggestions.First, find a local armorer to buy from or better yet learn to build from. If you build your own kit, then you know how to repair it. Many groups have armoring days that you can participate in, even if you go to a neighboring group.Second, if you do buy from an armorer then ask from your group for suggestions. When you buy on-line, check references, BBB ratings, reviews and then make your decision. A lot of work? Yes, but then so is earning your money. Be sure they have a return policy and state that they are in line with SCA Corporate fighting standards. Make sure its it fits your kingdoms armor standards Third, this is your first kit and if you continue with fighting it won't be your last. So go with a basic kit to start with, as the SCA is expensive for newcomers just
          starting out. Try a second hand kit if you find one and make the needed changes to make it yours.Finally,  you need to get a marshal to okay the helm and the rest of the kit. Checking the welds, rivets and and other part of your new gear. Any part that doesn't pass, send it back, unless it's something very minor you can fix yourself.  I hope this helps you with your armor search.   And do avoid Ashcroft-Baker, though I had no dealings with the company, I know others who've had many problems with them.
          Lady Leonarda
          From: Etah <db.etah@...>

          Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Ashcroft Baker

          To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

          Date: Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 7:44 PM

          If I can't find someone local with a good used Helm, I will likely buy it online. Is Ashcroft Baker legit? Their helms are decently priced.

        • pipadeblakemere
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 12, 2012
            I know of numerous people in recent months who have had difficulties in contacting Ashcroft Baker.

            When you reach the point that you have the funds available for another helm down the road, I suggest you check out Armstreet. They are located in the Ukraine, but don't let that sway you. My husband designed a helm, and Armstreet gave us the deal around - at times, at even a third of the cost quoted by other armorers, and that included the shipping.

            Just something to keep in mind.

            In service,
            Lady Pipa de Blakemere
            al-Barran hospitaller

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Etah" <db.etah@...> wrote:

            > If I can't find someone local with a good used Helm, I will likely buy it online. Is Ashcroft Baker legit? Their helms are decently priced.

          • Sheree
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 13, 2012
              Thank you everyone for your help! After the feedback here and elsewhere,
              I've decided to contact Emeorkian - they've gotten great reviews and
              are comparable to Ashcroft.

              Cheers,
              Sheree

              On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 11:51 AM, pipadeblakemere <
              michellechilders@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > I know of numerous people in recent months who have had difficulties in
              > contacting Ashcroft Baker.
              >
              > When you reach the point that you have the funds available for another
              > helm down the road, I suggest you check out Armstreet. They are located in
              > the Ukraine, but don't let that sway you. My husband designed a helm, and
              > Armstreet gave us the deal around - at times, at even a third of the cost
              > quoted by other armorers, and that included the shipping.
              >
              > Just something to keep in mind.
              >
              > In service,
              > Lady Pipa de Blakemere
              > al-Barran hospitaller
              >

              > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Etah" <db.etah@...> wrote:
              >
              > > If I can't find someone local with a good used Helm, I will likely buy
              > it online. Is Ashcroft Baker legit? Their helms are decently priced.

            • Jeff Suzuki
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 20, 2012
                I'm saddened to hear that others have had bad experiences with them.  I made my purchases a few years back (around 2006, I think), so apparently their service and quality have gone downhill.

                Jeffs

                ________________________________
                I've bought things from them.  They've got some good basic gear at a reasonable price.

                Jeffs

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 20, 2012
                  Not really about Ashcroft but GOSH! I am excited to see another Sheree on
                  here! Hello Sister With Strange Spelling!!!

                  Sheree
                  AKA Miranda d'Gages
                  Shire of Wyewood, An Tir
                  Starting The Studio. My adventures in starting an art space.
                  http://startingthestudio.blogspot.com/