Re: Ashcroft Baker

  • Sheree Fisher
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 11, 2012
      I had a similar question! Though I've emailed the address from the site a number of times over the last four weeks and haven't had a response. Has anyone done business with them recently and know if they're still taking orders?

      Cheers!
      Sheree - Lochac
    • tim belcher
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 11, 2012
        run far and run fastashcroft baker not only has marginal helms but a f rating from the bbb and a horrid reputation for taking money and possibly giving you some craptastic piece a year or two later

        if you need to find a good affordable helm go to the armor archiveswww.armourarchive.org and check there.  They have several armorers that are on par with about the same price as ashcroft baker and you will actually get your hat

        Valdemar Steinsson

        mka tim belcher

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 11, 2012
          they've been taking longer and longer to get orders out

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 12, 2012
            run far and run fast

            ashcroft baker not only has marginal helms but a f rating from the bbb and a horrid reputation for taking money and possibly giving you some craptastic piece a year or two later

            if you need to find a good affordable helm go to the armor archives

            www.armourarchive.org and check there. They have several armorers that are  about the same price as ashcroft baker and you will actually get your hat

            Valdemar Steinsson
            mka tim belcher

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 12, 2012
              I've bought things from them.  They've got some good basic gear at a reasonable price.

              Jeffs

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 12, 2012
                I could never get a response from them. The armorer I did locate is wonderful! My son will buy from no one else; Emorokian Arms. His basic "starter" helm is 100.00 (US) and he also has very nicely priced helms that are under 300.00 US that are a bit fancier than the basics.
                He can be found on facebook and is pretty good about returning emails in a timely manner.

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 12, 2012
                  emerokian arms is wonderfull
                  i would not send anyone to ashcroft baker

                  a good place for used gear and a few other budget armorers is the armour archives
                  www.armourarchives.org
                  hjalmr (spelling) does some great work for cheap, as do a few others

                  Valdemar Steinsson
                  mka tim belcher

                  I could never get a response from them. The armorer I did locate is wonderful! My son will buy from no one else; Emorokian Arms. His basic "starter" helm is 100.00 (US) and he also has very nicely priced helms that are under 300.00 US that are a bit fancier than the basics.
                  He can be found on facebook and is pretty good about returning emails in a timely manner.

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Etah" <db.etah@...> wrote:

                  > If I can't find someone local with a good used Helm, I will likely buy it online. Is Ashcroft Baker legit? Their helms are decently priced.

                • Stefan li Rous
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 12, 2012
                    <<< If I can't find someone local with a good used Helm, I will likely buy it online. Is Ashcroft Baker legit? Their helms are decently priced.>>>

                    I don't know if I have any reviews on this particular armorer, but as I see reviews about various armorers, I try to add them to this file in the COMBAT section of the Florilegium:
                    armorers-lst (86K) 4/19/10 List of and reviews of SCA armorers.
                    http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/armorers-lst.html

                    Stefan
                    --------
                    http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
                  • Joe Jj
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 12, 2012
                      Greetings Good CousinI no longer fight due to health problems (oh how I miss it!) but with years of experience behind me as fighter and buying off the net I offer these suggestions.First, find a local armorer to buy from or better yet learn to build from. If you build your own kit, then you know how to repair it. Many groups have armoring days that you can participate in, even if you go to a neighboring group.Second, if you do buy from an armorer then ask from your group for suggestions. When you buy on-line, check references, BBB ratings, reviews and then make your decision. A lot of work? Yes, but then so is earning your money. Be sure they have a return policy and state that they are in line with SCA Corporate fighting standards. Make sure its it fits your kingdoms armor standards Third, this is your first kit and if you continue with fighting it won't be your last. So go with a basic kit to start with, as the SCA is expensive for newcomers just
                      starting out. Try a second hand kit if you find one and make the needed changes to make it yours.Finally,  you need to get a marshal to okay the helm and the rest of the kit. Checking the welds, rivets and and other part of your new gear. Any part that doesn't pass, send it back, unless it's something very minor you can fix yourself.  I hope this helps you with your armor search.   And do avoid Ashcroft-Baker, though I had no dealings with the company, I know others who've had many problems with them.
                      Lady Leonarda
                      From: Etah <db.etah@...>

                      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

                      Date: Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 7:44 PM

                      If I can't find someone local with a good used Helm, I will likely buy it online. Is Ashcroft Baker legit? Their helms are decently priced.

                    • pipadeblakemere
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 12, 2012
                        I know of numerous people in recent months who have had difficulties in contacting Ashcroft Baker.

                        When you reach the point that you have the funds available for another helm down the road, I suggest you check out Armstreet. They are located in the Ukraine, but don't let that sway you. My husband designed a helm, and Armstreet gave us the deal around - at times, at even a third of the cost quoted by other armorers, and that included the shipping.

                        Just something to keep in mind.

                        In service,
                        Lady Pipa de Blakemere
                        al-Barran hospitaller

                        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Etah" <db.etah@...> wrote:

                        > If I can't find someone local with a good used Helm, I will likely buy it online. Is Ashcroft Baker legit? Their helms are decently priced.

                      • Sheree
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 13, 2012
                          Thank you everyone for your help! After the feedback here and elsewhere,
                          I've decided to contact Emeorkian - they've gotten great reviews and
                          are comparable to Ashcroft.

                          Cheers,
                          Sheree

                          On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 11:51 AM, pipadeblakemere <
                          michellechilders@...> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > I know of numerous people in recent months who have had difficulties in
                          > contacting Ashcroft Baker.
                          >
                          > When you reach the point that you have the funds available for another
                          > helm down the road, I suggest you check out Armstreet. They are located in
                          > the Ukraine, but don't let that sway you. My husband designed a helm, and
                          > Armstreet gave us the deal around - at times, at even a third of the cost
                          > quoted by other armorers, and that included the shipping.
                          >
                          > Just something to keep in mind.
                          >
                          > In service,
                          > Lady Pipa de Blakemere
                          > al-Barran hospitaller
                          >

                          > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Etah" <db.etah@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > If I can't find someone local with a good used Helm, I will likely buy
                          > it online. Is Ashcroft Baker legit? Their helms are decently priced.

                        • Jeff Suzuki
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 20, 2012
                            I'm saddened to hear that others have had bad experiences with them.  I made my purchases a few years back (around 2006, I think), so apparently their service and quality have gone downhill.

                            Jeffs

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 20, 2012
                              Not really about Ashcroft but GOSH! I am excited to see another Sheree on
                              here! Hello Sister With Strange Spelling!!!

                              Sheree
                              AKA Miranda d'Gages
                              Shire of Wyewood, An Tir
                              Starting The Studio. My adventures in starting an art space.
                              http://startingthestudio.blogspot.com/