re: Modern-day monks' cloth

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2012
      <<< I found some lovely modern monks cloth at a thrift store - about 2 yards of 100% cotton fabric, off-white, a fairly loose weave, and was wondering what to do with it.

      I'm not into needlepoint arts, I'd like to turn it into some sort of period-looking garb, except that I'm not sure what - if anything - this sort of loosely-woven fabric would have been used for.

      Any suggestions? Any info???>>>

      I'm not sure if modern "monk's cloth" has any real connection with what the Monks wore in medieval times. As you may be aware, it certainly would not have been cotton. There's lots of arguments about how common cotton might or might not have been, but it would have been a high-priced fabric and monks would not have been wearing it. Of course if you or someone else wanted to use it for a monk's persona, either temporary or permanent, few would probably be able to tell it wasn't the wool (probably undyed) the monks would have worn.

      A little bit on monks and a tiny bit on their clothing:
      monks-msg (90K) 2/ 6/11 Medieval monks and orders. Monk's clothing.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/RELIGION/monks-msg.html

      And some more info for those who might be interested in monks.
      nuns-a-monks-lnks (8K) 8/25/04 Links to medieval holy orders by Dame Aoife
      Finn of Ynos Mon. Nuns. Monks.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/RELIGION/nuns-a-monks-lnks.html

      Domin-Order-art (22K) 11/ 7/97 "Friars Preachers: The Dominican Order in
      the Middle Ages" by Mistress Nicolaa de Bracton of Leicester
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/RELIGION/Domin-Order-art.html

      Stefan
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 29, 2012
        Thanks for that information!!

        I've already determined that this modern version isn't ANYthing like the fabric used by real monks - if I recall correctly, they used a coarse wool fabric.

        I'm thinking in terms of period Egyptian garb, maybe North African garb...

        For that matter, can anyone suggest a MODERN garment application??

        (Can you tell that I REALLY REALLY want to wear that fabric?  It's soooooooo soft and comfortable!!)

        Zid