Re: [SCA Newcomers] Norse-Gaelic personas and naming practice

  • Coblaigh inghean Uí Éinrí
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2012
      I'm switching to a Norse-Gael persona myself, tenth century. I am going to
      change my byname to mean 'daughter of' one of the handful of Norse names
      that have Gaelic versions recorded in the Irish annals, which you can find
      on the Medieval Scotland website (I'm also going to use an earlier,
      beastlier version of my first name, haha). I want to be a half-breed with
      an Irish mother, and my name will still be Gaelic. I've run this by a few
      SCA veterans and they thought it was fine. I wear mostly tunics right now,
      and I'm eager to make an apron dress for myself.

      By no means have I done enough research yet, but I'm going to have fun with
      it. I just need to choose the names...I'm thinking of doing something like
      Cobhfhlaith ingen Amlaíb meic Ímair (daughter of Olaf son of Ívarr).

      Have fun!
      Coblaigh (Cobhfhlaith)

    • Tisha elf
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 24, 2012
        I think that is cool i to am a norse gaelic persona but in a later century. Apron dresses are very simple to make and there are several sites that have great directions on making one.
        Abbatissa ingean Iohne

        Tisha