Re: [SCA Newcomers] Norse-Gaelic personas and naming practice

  • Nicole E. Miller
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2012
      Those cultures actually had a lot of contact. There was a good amount of trading and (unfortunately) altercations between the people of the British Isles and the Danish/Scandinavian peoples especially before the Norman invasion. In Ireland the influence was greatest along the east coast where the Vikings found many towns at the estuaries of rivers, e.g. Waterford, Wexford and to a large extent Dublin itself. The heaviest influence was in the northern parts of Scotland, but settlements went as far south as Leicester on the east coast of England

      Scandinavian Invasions and Danelaw settlements
      http://www.uni-due.de/SHE/HE_ScandinavianInvasions.htm

      Sian

      ---- shereetheconqueror <shereetheconqueror@...> wrote:

      =============
      Howdy all --

      After recently scrapping my first idea for a persona, I've decided to try a Norse–Gaelic one on for size. My question is, how much leeway did these groups have in terms of "cultural sharing"? For example, I'm very much interested in Norse women's garb (the apron dress) and knotwork, but also interested in having a Gaelic name. Would this be appropriate? Or would I still have to choose a predominately Norse/Viking persona (name, dress etc.) but live in Ireland/Scotland?

      Any and all help is much appreciated!
    • Coblaigh inghean Uí Éinrí
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 23, 2012
        I'm switching to a Norse-Gael persona myself, tenth century. I am going to
        change my byname to mean 'daughter of' one of the handful of Norse names
        that have Gaelic versions recorded in the Irish annals, which you can find
        on the Medieval Scotland website (I'm also going to use an earlier,
        beastlier version of my first name, haha). I want to be a half-breed with
        an Irish mother, and my name will still be Gaelic. I've run this by a few
        SCA veterans and they thought it was fine. I wear mostly tunics right now,
        and I'm eager to make an apron dress for myself.

        By no means have I done enough research yet, but I'm going to have fun with
        it. I just need to choose the names...I'm thinking of doing something like
        Cobhfhlaith ingen Amlaíb meic Ímair (daughter of Olaf son of Ívarr).

        Have fun!
        Coblaigh (Cobhfhlaith)

      • Tisha elf
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 24, 2012
          I think that is cool i to am a norse gaelic persona but in a later century. Apron dresses are very simple to make and there are several sites that have great directions on making one.
          Abbatissa ingean Iohne

          Tisha