Norse-Gaelic personas and naming practice

  • shereetheconqueror
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2012
      Howdy all --

      After recently scrapping my first idea for a persona, I've decided to try a Norse–Gaelic one on for size. My question is, how much leeway did these groups have in terms of "cultural sharing"? For example, I'm very much interested in Norse women's garb (the apron dress) and knotwork, but also interested in having a Gaelic name. Would this be appropriate? Or would I still have to choose a predominately Norse/Viking persona (name, dress etc.) but live in Ireland/Scotland?

      Any and all help is much appreciated!
    • Nicole E. Miller
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 23, 2012
        Those cultures actually had a lot of contact. There was a good amount of trading and (unfortunately) altercations between the people of the British Isles and the Danish/Scandinavian peoples especially before the Norman invasion. In Ireland the influence was greatest along the east coast where the Vikings found many towns at the estuaries of rivers, e.g. Waterford, Wexford and to a large extent Dublin itself. The heaviest influence was in the northern parts of Scotland, but settlements went as far south as Leicester on the east coast of England

        Scandinavian Invasions and Danelaw settlements
        http://www.uni-due.de/SHE/HE_ScandinavianInvasions.htm

        Sian

        ---- shereetheconqueror <shereetheconqueror@...> wrote:

        =============
        Howdy all --

        After recently scrapping my first idea for a persona, I've decided to try a Norse–Gaelic one on for size. My question is, how much leeway did these groups have in terms of "cultural sharing"? For example, I'm very much interested in Norse women's garb (the apron dress) and knotwork, but also interested in having a Gaelic name. Would this be appropriate? Or would I still have to choose a predominately Norse/Viking persona (name, dress etc.) but live in Ireland/Scotland?

        Any and all help is much appreciated!
      • Coblaigh inghean Uí Éinrí
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 23, 2012
          I'm switching to a Norse-Gael persona myself, tenth century. I am going to
          change my byname to mean 'daughter of' one of the handful of Norse names
          that have Gaelic versions recorded in the Irish annals, which you can find
          on the Medieval Scotland website (I'm also going to use an earlier,
          beastlier version of my first name, haha). I want to be a half-breed with
          an Irish mother, and my name will still be Gaelic. I've run this by a few
          SCA veterans and they thought it was fine. I wear mostly tunics right now,
          and I'm eager to make an apron dress for myself.

          By no means have I done enough research yet, but I'm going to have fun with
          it. I just need to choose the names...I'm thinking of doing something like
          Cobhfhlaith ingen Amlaíb meic Ímair (daughter of Olaf son of Ívarr).

          Have fun!
          Coblaigh (Cobhfhlaith)

        • Tisha elf
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 24, 2012
            I think that is cool i to am a norse gaelic persona but in a later century. Apron dresses are very simple to make and there are several sites that have great directions on making one.
            Abbatissa ingean Iohne

            Tisha