Re: Confusion on colors

  • chemistbb3
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 22, 2012
      Red is Red is Red. Some of the red leathers age and wear to become "browner" than they started. Some folks are over sensitive and the customs in some kingdoms are a bit different than in other kingdoms.

      The first belt I made was out of latigo leather. I also got some flack for using a "red" leather. I just told them it was not red, but just latigo leather. Since I wear a lot of red, I would then point to some part of my clothes and say "this is what I call red".

      If you have a bunch for the leather and what the other folks are saying, buy a bottle of brown leather dye and dye over the origional color the leather.

      William

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "o.barsukov" <o.barsukov@...> wrote:

      > To state the obvious, I'm new to the SCA, and Uprising in Idaho this year was my first event. I absolutely loved it, and since then I've been working on things to improve the look of my persona and my garb.
      >
      > I'd gone through several no-no lists I'd found on google before I started and thought I had a pretty solid grasp on what not to do. One of the first things I worked on was a baldric for my sword(unsharpened and all), so I avoided red and white leathers. Several members of my local group saw the leather I was working with and got all over me for using red leather. This is where my apparent not so solid grasp of what not to do comes in.
      >
      > http://www.outfitterssupply.com/ShowAdditionalImg.asp?number=WLF403
      > That's the leather I got (in person it's got a bit more of a chestnut hue to it than the picture, but still close.) Is that considered red in the SCA? I'd assume shades/types of red (crimson, scarlet, et al) are covered in the definition of 'red', but are slight hues considered 'red' as well? Perhaps it's the artist in me, but that's not 'red'.
      >
      > Somewhat off topic, but a member mentioned looking up Chatelaine resources before I make anything more (which I did before I started anything, but apparently I'm doing things wrong.) Does anyone have a pretty thorough guide for new people on what not to make/avoid? I have googled for a list again (this time under Chatelaine) and all I've really dug up is info on how to be a Chatelaine, basic things I've already gone over, and lists that don't answer the questions I have.
      >
      > Thanks in advance!

    • Theanswerlady1
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 22, 2012
        Latigo is a leather process, usually waxy/oily making it a good choice for working leather like reins and harness. It is great for armor being tough. Generally available in black, brown, burgundy (more from Hide House in Napa CA). Because it is water repellent, it is not very tool-able or dyeable. Other leathers, (veg-tanned) are water permeable, dyeable, paintable, toolable, stampable, etc. unless they are sueded or rough-out.

        yis
        Tzipah of Clannah Drakonis
        Bestwode Shire
        Principality of Cynagua
        Kingdom of the West

        Red is Red is Red. Some of the red leathers age and wear to become "browner" than they started. Some folks are over sensitive and the customs in some kingdoms are a bit different than in other kingdoms.

        The first belt I made was out of latigo leather. I also got some flack for using a "red" leather. I just told them it was not red, but just latigo leather. Since I wear a lot of red, I would then point to some part of my clothes and say "this is what I call red".

        If you have a bunch for the leather and what the other folks are saying, buy a bottle of brown leather dye and dye over the origional color the leather.

        William

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "o.barsukov" <o.barsukov@...> wrote:

        > To state the obvious, I'm new to the SCA, and Uprising in Idaho this year was my first event. I absolutely loved it, and since then I've been working on things to improve the look of my persona and my garb.
        >
        > I'd gone through several no-no lists I'd found on google before I started and thought I had a pretty solid grasp on what not to do. One of the first things I worked on was a baldric for my sword(unsharpened and all), so I avoided red and white leathers. Several members of my local group saw the leather I was working with and got all over me for using red leather. This is where my apparent not so solid grasp of what not to do comes in.
        >
        > http://www.outfitterssupply.com/ShowAdditionalImg.asp?number=WLF403
        > That's the leather I got (in person it's got a bit more of a chestnut hue to it than the picture, but still close.) Is that considered red in the SCA? I'd assume shades/types of red (crimson, scarlet, et al) are covered in the definition of 'red', but are slight hues considered 'red' as well? Perhaps it's the artist in me, but that's not 'red'.
        >
        > Somewhat off topic, but a member mentioned looking up Chatelaine resources before I make anything more (which I did before I started anything, but apparently I'm doing things wrong.) Does anyone have a pretty thorough guide for new people on what not to make/avoid? I have googled for a list again (this time under Chatelaine) and all I've really dug up is info on how to be a Chatelaine, basic things I've already gone over, and lists that don't answer the questions I have.
        >
        > Thanks in advance!

      • Ian Green
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 22, 2012
          Don't wear white belts or baldrics or white scarves on your arms.

          Everything else, clothing wise, is pretty much fair game. There are some
          things that are culturally thought of as belonging to a certain kind of
          person it is only cultural.

          You see in the SCA we have knights who take on squires, laurels who take on
          apprentices and pelicans who take on proteges White Scarves = same on
          shoulder or arm Bronze Rings=bronze scarf on shoulder or arm.

          Squire = Red Belt
          Apprentice = Green Belt
          Protege = Yellow Belt
          Cadet = Red Scarf

          Here's the trick. NONE of those things is officially recognized by SCA,
          inc. not a one of them. They are however firmly entrenched in SCA
          culture, and in my opinion they should be. Since they are not officially
          recognized, they have no protections.

          A story once told to me was about a new lady who got dressed up, did a fine
          job and wore a red belt because that was went well with the outfit. Well a
          couple of squires happened upon this lady and started questioning her and
          telling her she couldn't wear the belt. This story supposedly takes place
          in the Kingdom of An Tir. A Laurel walks up and sees these two squires and
          asks them who their Knight is. This is a question you answer when asked
          but they himmed and hawed about it.

          The Laurel asked them if they were ashamed of their Knight to which they
          responded "No," and gave the name of their Knight. The Laurel went and
          spoke with that Knight. The new lady had two men-at-arms who did her every
          bidding for the rest of that event.

          There is no reason not to be wearing a red baldric that I can think of.
          Not one. "Oh you could be mistaken for a squire," I doubt it, they wear
          red belts. And you know what? Squire is not a rank. Like that of
          apprentice or protege is nothing more than a title taken by someone who has
          a formal attachment (is a "dependent" of) to the requisite peer. It means
          only what it means between those who have that relationship and for the
          rest of us it means that if we catch the "dependent," doing something good
          or wrong we have someone to go talk to about it.

          Now, I'm not belittling those relationships in the slightest. They are
          important to those who have them. I myself am an apprentice. I have asked
          people who were wearing a green belt who they were apprenticed to. I have
          been given names and I have been told, "I'm not an apprentice." My
          response either way is, "Okay, that's cool." And that should be the
          response, in their own way, of everyone else.

          When I was a Chatelian I told my newcomers that if they chose to wear those
          color belts to be ready to explain that they weren't whatever belt color
          might be indicating, but they shouldn't be harassed about it at all. And if
          they were, to get that person's name and _I_ would deal with it.

          It is getting to the point in the SCA that if we reserved all culturally
          accepted things that it would be utterly ridiculous in my mind.

          Belt colors could not be red, yellow, green or blue. Scarves could not be
          red or black.

          Or we can all just take a chill pill, ask if we are curious and once
          getting our answer, move on. As chivalrous behavior should do.

          Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

          Ian the Green

          Yours In Service,

          Lord Ian the Green

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 22, 2012
            Nope, that's not red. I have a belt the same color. I've never fought, never wanted to, but I still had a few people (who had known me for years when I bought the belt) ask in obvious confusion if I was squired to someone.

            People take the whole belt and baldric thing way too far. I've seen someone go after an 11-year-old girl for wearing a white piece of rope as a belt. I mean, seriously? Not even old enough to fight, and certainly not expecting to be treated like a knight. On the other hand, SCA regs say that the insignia of a knight is an "unadorned white belt". Let me tell you, in 20 years I've seen some pretty snazzed up white belts on knights.

            Do I think knights deserve respect, and that you shouldn't wear a white belt if you aren't one? Yeah. Squire belt being red isn't even SCA wide; theres at least one household that uses blue. It's also not in SCA law, although I think it is in some kingdom laws.

            I'd say use the leather (which will probably darken and look less red over time), and get used to explaining that it's not a red squire's belt.

            Lancaster, PA

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 23, 2012
              <<< I'd gone through several no-no lists I'd found on google before I
              started and thought I had a pretty solid grasp on what not to do. One
              of the first things I worked on was a baldric for my sword(unsharpened
              and all), so I avoided red and white leathers. Several members of my
              local group saw the leather I was working with and got all over me for
              using red leather. This is where my apparent not so solid grasp of
              what not to do comes in. >>>

              Take all such lists with a grain of salt, even the ones in my
              Florilegium files. They are written by individuals with their own
              opinions of what the SCA rules and traditions say. Perhaps reading
              multiple ones and taking the points that are in common is the way to
              go. :-)

              <<< http://www.outfitterssupply.com/ShowAdditionalImg.asp?number=WLF403
              That's the leather I got (in person it's got a bit more of a chestnut
              hue to it than the picture, but still close.) Is that considered red
              in the SCA? I'd assume shades/types of red (crimson, scarlet, et al)
              are covered in the definition of 'red', but are slight hues considered
              'red' as well? Perhaps it's the artist in me, but that's not 'red'. >>>

              The first belt I made in the SCA was a reddish brown. I got hassled by
              several people about it and overdyed it with a brown dye. Maybe I'm
              just an old curmurgeon now, but I'm much more likely to simply ignore
              them, refer them to the appropriate file(s) in the Florilegium or ask
              them who their Knight is, if they are squires. I think Ian the Green
              had a very good reply. I may appropriate it for the Florilegium. :-)

              <<< Somewhat off topic, but a member mentioned looking up Chatelaine
              resources before I make anything more (which I did before I started
              anything, but apparently I'm doing things wrong.) Does anyone have a
              pretty thorough guide for new people on what not to make/avoid? I have
              googled for a list again (this time under Chatelaine) and all I've
              really dug up is info on how to be a Chatelaine, basic things I've
              already gone over, and lists that don't answer the questions I have. >>>

              I highly recommend the Known World Handbook. A new version came out
              within the past few years and it is still fairly inexpensive. Other
              reviews, as well as ordering information can be found in this file in
              the NEWCOMERS section of the Florilegium:
              KW-Handbook-msg (12K) 11/25/10 Comments about the Known World
              Handbook.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/KW-Handbook-msg.html

              Also in that section are a number of articles and message files
              (collections of messages) that you might wish to read. I,
              intentionally, don't have any big, comprehensive files for beginners,
              but rather a collection of various files and articles.

              And when you've perused this section there are many more on a wide
              variety of SCA and medieval subjexts. There are about 2400 different
              files in the Florilegium, so I hope there are a few other files that
              might also interest you.

              Stefan

              --------
              http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris