Re: [SCA Newcomers] New member questions on personas.

  • Ian Green
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2012
      As Liam said, Sir Ix has been through this...

      Here is his Knight's page:

      http://chivalry.midrealm.org/peer_new.php?input=46

      The SCA covers ALL cultures from 1600 to the dawn of time. Granted we are
      more focused on Europe and the cultures that Europe was in contact with in
      our time span, but that does cover North, Central and South America and
      frankly pretty much the entire world.

      Per the Governing Documents of SCA inc called Corpora:

      "A BRIEF INTRODUCTION TO THE SOCIETY FOR CREATIVE ANACHRONISM
      The Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. (SCA, Society) is a nonprofit
      educational organization devoted to
      study of the Middle Ages and Renaissance. Most of its activities take place
      in the context of a social structure
      adapted from the forms of the European Middle Ages, which allows
      participants to take a first-hand look at
      various aspects of the life, culture and technology of the times under
      study.
      As a living history group, the Society provides an environment in which
      members can recreate various aspects
      of the culture and technology of the period, as well as doing more
      traditional historical research. We sponsor
      events such as tournaments and feasts where members dress in clothing
      styles worn in the Middle Ages and
      Renaissance, and participate in activities based on the civil and martial
      skills of the period. These activities
      recreate aspects of the life and culture of the landed nobility in Europe
      prior to 1600 CE. The dress, pastimes,
      and above all the chivalric ideals of the period serve to unify our events
      and activities.
      For Society members, most of the world, and all of the centuries prior to
      the 17th, can serve as a source for
      personal research. However, the further you go from the core of Medieval
      and Renaissance Europe, the less
      the environment we offer will resemble what someone of your time and
      country would find natural or
      homelike. For example, you can be an Asian or African guest at a European
      court, but you cannot expect
      others to share your special interests - like any long-term visitor in a
      foreign land, you are the one who will
      have to adapt to the customs you find around you. Since members have free
      choice of what areas they will
      explore, it follows that Society branches cannot decide to specialize in a
      specific time and place, since that
      would make it hard for members there to pursue their own interests in other
      times and places."

      This can be found on the first page immediately after all tables of content.

      http://www.sca.org/docs/pdf/govdocs.pdf

      I hope this is useful to you and others.

      Ian the Green

      --
      Yours In Service,

      Lord Ian the Green