New member questions on personas.

  • shereetheconqueror
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2012
      Hello all --

      I've recently joined my local kingdom and am just now working on a persona/name for myself. I'm female and primarily interested in heavy combat and brewing. I've spent the past week looking up and reading all manner of articles and books about personas and time periods and didn't really find something I was interested in until I read an old post on this group from 2007. The person in question was asking about the viability of a new world, Native American persona - and this definitely caught my eye. I was under the impression initially that members were only allowed to choose a time/culture from Europe/the Near East/Asia, which I found disappointing as I'd love to try a Yucatan/Aztec persona. I did read in the SCA Organisational Handbook that "For Society members, most of the world, and all of the centuries prior to the 17th, can serve as a source for personal research. However, the further you go from the core of Medieval and Renaissance Europe, the less the environment we offer will resemble what someone of your time and country would find natural or homelike."

      So with that in mind, I don't want to totally alienate myself at events that are predominantly "European" so was thinking of trying to combine a Spanish/Aztec persona in a way that would be accurate while allowing me to use elements of Aztec dress and decoration. To these ends, I was thinking early-mid 15th century time frame...and that's about as far as I've gotten.

      Does anyone else have any experience with this sort of persona or know someone who does? Do you think it would be viable? Any and all help is most appreciated!

      Cheers,
      Sheree
    • Bill Toscano
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2012
        Sheree: The man you are looking for is Sir Ix of the Midrealm.

        He is the only Aztec persona I know.

        I will pass your contact information on.

        Liam

        On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 3:51 AM, shereetheconqueror <
        shereetheconqueror@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hello all --
        >
        > I've recently joined my local kingdom and am just now working on a
        > persona/name for myself. I'm female and primarily interested in heavy
        > combat and brewing. I've spent the past week looking up and reading all
        > manner of articles and books about personas and time periods and didn't
        > really find something I was interested in until I read an old post on this
        > group from 2007. The person in question was asking about the viability of a
        > new world, Native American persona - and this definitely caught my eye. I
        > was under the impression initially that members were only allowed to choose
        > a time/culture from Europe/the Near East/Asia, which I found disappointing
        > as I'd love to try a Yucatan/Aztec persona. I did read in the SCA
        > Organisational Handbook that "For Society members, most of the world, and
        > all of the centuries prior to the 17th, can serve as a source for personal
        > research. However, the further you go from the core of Medieval and
        > Renaissance Europe, the less the environment we offer will resemble what
        > someone of your time and country would find natural or homelike."
        >
        > So with that in mind, I don't want to totally alienate myself at events
        > that are predominantly "European" so was thinking of trying to combine a
        > Spanish/Aztec persona in a way that would be accurate while allowing me to
        > use elements of Aztec dress and decoration. To these ends, I was thinking
        > early-mid 15th century time frame...and that's about as far as I've gotten.
        >
        > Does anyone else have any experience with this sort of persona or know
        > someone who does? Do you think it would be viable? Any and all help is most
        > appreciated!
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Sheree

      • Ian Green
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 16, 2012
          As Liam said, Sir Ix has been through this...

          Here is his Knight's page:

          http://chivalry.midrealm.org/peer_new.php?input=46

          The SCA covers ALL cultures from 1600 to the dawn of time. Granted we are
          more focused on Europe and the cultures that Europe was in contact with in
          our time span, but that does cover North, Central and South America and
          frankly pretty much the entire world.

          Per the Governing Documents of SCA inc called Corpora:

          "A BRIEF INTRODUCTION TO THE SOCIETY FOR CREATIVE ANACHRONISM
          The Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. (SCA, Society) is a nonprofit
          educational organization devoted to
          study of the Middle Ages and Renaissance. Most of its activities take place
          in the context of a social structure
          adapted from the forms of the European Middle Ages, which allows
          participants to take a first-hand look at
          various aspects of the life, culture and technology of the times under
          study.
          As a living history group, the Society provides an environment in which
          members can recreate various aspects
          of the culture and technology of the period, as well as doing more
          traditional historical research. We sponsor
          events such as tournaments and feasts where members dress in clothing
          styles worn in the Middle Ages and
          Renaissance, and participate in activities based on the civil and martial
          skills of the period. These activities
          recreate aspects of the life and culture of the landed nobility in Europe
          prior to 1600 CE. The dress, pastimes,
          and above all the chivalric ideals of the period serve to unify our events
          and activities.
          For Society members, most of the world, and all of the centuries prior to
          the 17th, can serve as a source for
          personal research. However, the further you go from the core of Medieval
          and Renaissance Europe, the less
          the environment we offer will resemble what someone of your time and
          country would find natural or
          homelike. For example, you can be an Asian or African guest at a European
          court, but you cannot expect
          others to share your special interests - like any long-term visitor in a
          foreign land, you are the one who will
          have to adapt to the customs you find around you. Since members have free
          choice of what areas they will
          explore, it follows that Society branches cannot decide to specialize in a
          specific time and place, since that
          would make it hard for members there to pursue their own interests in other
          times and places."

          This can be found on the first page immediately after all tables of content.

          http://www.sca.org/docs/pdf/govdocs.pdf

          I hope this is useful to you and others.

          Ian the Green

          --
          Yours In Service,

          Lord Ian the Green