Answers to some questions

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2012
      <<< Reading all the info has helped me get things like feast gear and
      a handle on garb, but proper forms of address and basic etiquette
      would help. >>>

      Here are a couple of files on this in the NEWCOMERS section of the
      Florilegium:
      courtesy-msg (32K) 1/19/96 Courtesy guidelines in the SCA and
      period.
      Hand-kissing and bowing.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/courtesy-msg.html

      Hand-Kissing-art (8K) 1/20/11 "Ioseph of Locksley's Handy Guide to
      Cavalier Hand-Kissing".
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Hand-Kissing-art.html

      How-to-Behave-art (12K) 6/10/01 "How to Behave in these Current
      Middle Ages" by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/How-to-Behave-art.html

      SCA-courtesy-art (14K) 5/22/96 Courtesy guidelines by Ioseph of
      Locksley.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/SCA-courtesy-art.html

      SCA-courts-nc-msg (21K) 5/30/01 Comments and about SCA Courts for
      newcomers.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/SCA-courts-nc-msg.html

      I'm editing an article on SCA ranks and forms of address. I hope to
      have it online in a week or two. When in doubt, m'lord (or m'lady) or
      Lord So and so or Lady Soandso, works just fine. Even if you are a
      Duke, or a Peer, you are still a Lord or Lady.

      <<< I think I'm already doing too much, and I'm finding myself getting
      frustrated. >>>

      Yes, this is something I warn newcomers about. Don't try to do
      everything. There are people who have been in the SCA for 20 or 30
      years or more. To keep someone involved that long there has to be a
      great depth of things to do. But by the same token, you really can't
      do it all, at once.

      <<< How to selected an area of study, suggested books for general
      information about period references, >>>

      I don't know if this will help, but there is this file in the
      NEWCOMERS section:
      intro-books-msg (36K) 6/ 8/99 Recommended books on the Middle Ages
      and
      Renaissance.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/intro-books-msg.html

      <<< How others juggle work and family life, especially when the other
      family member's don't play, and the SCA would be good. >>>

      Perhaps this file in the SCA-SOCIOLOGY section might help:
      non-SCA-part-msg (45K) 7/29/97 Dealing with partners who are not in
      the SCA
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/non-SCA-part-msg.html

      There are other files in this section which might also be of interest
      such as:
      SCA-reasons-msg (61K) 2/ 1/11 The reasons various people joined
      the SCA.
      SCA-Sociology-art (14K) 4/ 9/02 "Sociology and the SCA: some brief
      thoughts"
      by Master Hrolf Herjolfssen.
      SCA-The-Dream-msg (50K) 1/11/96 What the SCA means for different
      people.

      <<< Tips on how to keep my mundane life out of SCA conversations, but
      also how to bring it in when it's appropriate. >>>

      Try not to talk about mundane life. If you need to mention something
      mundane, DON'T use fantasy or made up names like farspeaker for
      telephone or dragon for car. For the later, wagon or cart works quite
      well. And "car" is a period term! For the former, do you need to say
      you talked to someone on the telephone? Or can you just say you talked
      with someone?

      <<< I'm an 18th century historian and find myself hesitant to bring it
      up, but also watching people struggle with a task when I know how to
      do it is difficult. >>>

      Wow. That makes you almost old enough to be period! :-) What kind of
      tasks are you thinking of?

      <<< Because I'm new I tend to stay in the background not wanting to
      interfere. I guess mainly just real life stories. Looking forward to
      my first Pennsic and meeting you. Thanks! >>>

      Another article in the NEWCOMERS section of the Florilegium:
      How-2-get-2do-art (12K) 4/23/11 "How to get to do things in the SCA"
      by
      Duchess Willow de Wisp, OL, OP, OR.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/How-2-get-2do-art.html

      Stefan