Personas: Real history vs. Current Middle ages

  • ravenslake12
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2012
      Well met Lords and Ladies.

      I am a bit odd in that I have had a an idea for a persona long before I ever heard of the SCA. One of my favorite periods in British history is the time just before, during, and immediately after the Norman invasion and everything King William brought with him.

      My proposed persona would be the offspring of a Anglo-Saxon noble woman who was previously married to a member of the Witenagemot (counsel to the Saxon kings) and a well connected Norman Noble man. It is my understanding that during the invasion most of the Anglo-Saxon male population was "disposed of" and the women were more or less forced into marriages with the Normans in a successful attempt to breed a more complacent population. (Although the Wikipedia article on the Norman invasion does not agree! haha) I imagine that first generation of Saxon/Norman children would have grown up in a somewhat conflicted culture. It was also the time in which many of the titles and land holdings were granted to the subsequent nobility in exchange for loyalty to the crown under William and his immediate successors.

      My persona might be a bit snobbish with the idea of Norman pedigree and but very much English in fashion and sensibilities through the influence of my Anglo-Saxon mother. Here is where my question comes in: My character development depends heavily on the period and place in which I set her, so how do I incorporate the historically accurate details with the unrelated royalty, history, and geography of the current middle ages built around the SCA?