Re: [SCA Newcomers] House vs. Guild: Whats the difference?

  • Ian Green
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 17, 2012
      In the SCA the answer really is about your focus.

      At this time per Corpora, neither Guilds nor Households are officially
      recognized by SCA inc.

      Corpora 1E

      "E. Unofficial Entities
      In many kingdoms, there are groups in which many people participate but
      which are not formally recognized
      by the Society. These can range from highly structured guilds to loosely
      associated camping groups. Entities
      that fall into this category can have many names, including but not limited
      to households, guilds, ships, and
      clans. Although these entities are not recognized by the Society in any
      formal way, some kingdoms have
      awards that can be given to these groups. Because they are not official
      Society groups, unofficial entities
      cannot sponsor Society events."

      Both Guilds and Households as well as the other "groups" mentioned are
      groups that form inside the SCA for various reasons.

      Guilds normally have a focus of improving the skills and abilities of those
      in the guild to do a given activity, often an art or science. Calligraphy
      guilds are to improve the skills of calligraphy in the guild and very often
      those not in the guild, brewing for brewers, dance for dancers and so on
      and so forth.

      Households normally are a group of people who get together to form a common
      identity with others in the household. They may or may not have a focus.
      I am a member of the Thieves of Hearts. We are recognized by many as being
      a fencing household. Our fighting unit wears black tabards with burgundy
      and silver trim on the field of battle. We also do Archery. We also do
      Service. And we have many skilled artisans in our membership. In fact
      inside the Middle Kingdom we have received group awards for Archery and for
      Service. What are we? A group of friends who strive to be very good at
      whatever it is that we do and to look good doing it. We started as a
      fighting household, but we've grown well beyond that.

      So what is the difference? Focus first of all. Guild focus on teaching and
      improving their craft whatever it may be. Households do not have to.

      In some Kingdoms if you have a household formed and you don't have a peer
      heading it up you are considered out of form. In other Kingdoms, the peer
      thing is utterly not thought about. The Thieves of Hearts had no peer
      until one of us was made a Pelican a couple of years ago and the household
      has been around a lot longer than that.

      Frankly, no one in the SCA has the authority to tell someone if they can or
      can not form a household or a Guild at this point. There was a time when
      guilds were formally recognized but that is no longer the case. Social
      considerations are a different thing of course.and that is best discerned
      inside your own kingdom.

      For some more thoughts and information feel free to look at:

      https://sites.google.com/site/ianthegreen01/home/for-sca-newcomers/on-households-guilds-etc-in-the-sca

      Ian

      --
      Yours In Service,