Re: [SCA Newcomers] House vs. Guild: Whats the difference?

  • Susan Farmer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 17, 2012
      On 6/17/2012 12:51 PM, ravenslake12 wrote:
      > Hey everyone :)
      >
      > I've been snooping around Stefan's Florilegium and have surprisingly been able to answer many of my questions. However, I am a bit confused about the difference between a Guild and a Household. What are their function within the SAC and how/why are they formed and maintained?
      > Thanks :)

      Households are often (but not always) based around one or more peers and
      their associates. We formed a household (*years* ago) to help shepherd
      new folks in our Barony. It has since turned into a peerage household,
      though.

      A Guild is often recognized by the Crown. They are comparable to the
      Medieval Crafts Guilds. Embroiderer's Guild, Clothier's Guilds,
      Minstrel's Guild, etc.

      Jerusha
      --
      Susan Farmer
      sfarmer@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 17, 2012
        Here is a quote from and article titled "Introduction to SCA Households"on the Florileguium under the Newcomer's Section:

        "Households... are completely unofficial and not recognized as branches by the SCA corporate office. They may play a part in Court or other in-game activities, such as being recognized for service by Their Majesties, but they are still not officially part of the SCA, Inc. Because of this, households can be created or changed by their members without any SCA paperwork, and they can establish any internal officers, rules, policies, and customs they wish."

        Are guilds run and recognized in a similar way?

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Susan Farmer <sfarmer@...> wrote:

        > On 6/17/2012 12:51 PM, ravenslake12 wrote:
        > > Hey everyone :)
        > >
        > > I've been snooping around Stefan's Florilegium and have surprisingly been able to answer many of my questions. However, I am a bit confused about the difference between a Guild and a Household. What are their function within the SAC and how/why are they formed and maintained?
        > > Thanks :)
        > >

        > Households are often (but not always) based around one or more peers and
        > their associates. We formed a household (*years* ago) to help shepherd
        > new folks in our Barony. It has since turned into a peerage household,
        > though.
        >
        > A Guild is often recognized by the Crown. They are comparable to the
        > Medieval Crafts Guilds. Embroiderer's Guild, Clothier's Guilds,
        > Minstrel's Guild, etc.
        >
        > Jerusha
        > --
        > Susan Farmer
        > sfarmer@...
        > Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
        > Division of Science and Math
        > http://www.abac.edu/sfarmer
        > http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Trillium

      • Ian Green
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 17, 2012
          In the SCA the answer really is about your focus.

          At this time per Corpora, neither Guilds nor Households are officially
          recognized by SCA inc.

          Corpora 1E

          "E. Unofficial Entities
          In many kingdoms, there are groups in which many people participate but
          which are not formally recognized
          by the Society. These can range from highly structured guilds to loosely
          associated camping groups. Entities
          that fall into this category can have many names, including but not limited
          to households, guilds, ships, and
          clans. Although these entities are not recognized by the Society in any
          formal way, some kingdoms have
          awards that can be given to these groups. Because they are not official
          Society groups, unofficial entities
          cannot sponsor Society events."

          Both Guilds and Households as well as the other "groups" mentioned are
          groups that form inside the SCA for various reasons.

          Guilds normally have a focus of improving the skills and abilities of those
          in the guild to do a given activity, often an art or science. Calligraphy
          guilds are to improve the skills of calligraphy in the guild and very often
          those not in the guild, brewing for brewers, dance for dancers and so on
          and so forth.

          Households normally are a group of people who get together to form a common
          identity with others in the household. They may or may not have a focus.
          I am a member of the Thieves of Hearts. We are recognized by many as being
          a fencing household. Our fighting unit wears black tabards with burgundy
          and silver trim on the field of battle. We also do Archery. We also do
          Service. And we have many skilled artisans in our membership. In fact
          inside the Middle Kingdom we have received group awards for Archery and for
          Service. What are we? A group of friends who strive to be very good at
          whatever it is that we do and to look good doing it. We started as a
          fighting household, but we've grown well beyond that.

          So what is the difference? Focus first of all. Guild focus on teaching and
          improving their craft whatever it may be. Households do not have to.

          In some Kingdoms if you have a household formed and you don't have a peer
          heading it up you are considered out of form. In other Kingdoms, the peer
          thing is utterly not thought about. The Thieves of Hearts had no peer
          until one of us was made a Pelican a couple of years ago and the household
          has been around a lot longer than that.

          Frankly, no one in the SCA has the authority to tell someone if they can or
          can not form a household or a Guild at this point. There was a time when
          guilds were formally recognized but that is no longer the case. Social
          considerations are a different thing of course.and that is best discerned
          inside your own kingdom.

          For some more thoughts and information feel free to look at:

          https://sites.google.com/site/ianthegreen01/home/for-sca-newcomers/on-households-guilds-etc-in-the-sca

          Ian

          --
          Yours In Service,