Re: [SCA Newcomers] House vs. Guild: Whats the difference?

  • Bill Toscano
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 17, 2012
      Short answer: Guilds are built around a specific art or science -- brewing,
      embroidery, cooking (perhaps from a specific period).

      Households are much more social/family type things (not that guilds cannot
      be social).

      Some households *are* built around fighting, and others are founded by a
      peer, who may have a specific skill.

      For instance, the the Albany, NY, area, House Vestfell is a household
      founded by a bardic Laurel. That's not all they do, but it's a great place
      for bardic circles.

      By the same token, an area might have a bardic guild, but those folks might
      not necessarily camp together at events.

      Liam
      East

      On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM, ravenslake12 <athomas0042@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hey everyone :)
      >
      > I've been snooping around Stefan's Florilegium and have surprisingly been
      > able to answer many of my questions. However, I am a bit confused about the
      > difference between a Guild and a Household. What are their function within
      > the SAC and how/why are they formed and maintained?
      > Thanks :)

    • Susan Farmer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 17, 2012
        On 6/17/2012 12:51 PM, ravenslake12 wrote:
        > Hey everyone :)
        >
        > I've been snooping around Stefan's Florilegium and have surprisingly been able to answer many of my questions. However, I am a bit confused about the difference between a Guild and a Household. What are their function within the SAC and how/why are they formed and maintained?
        > Thanks :)

        Households are often (but not always) based around one or more peers and
        their associates. We formed a household (*years* ago) to help shepherd
        new folks in our Barony. It has since turned into a peerage household,
        though.

        A Guild is often recognized by the Crown. They are comparable to the
        Medieval Crafts Guilds. Embroiderer's Guild, Clothier's Guilds,
        Minstrel's Guild, etc.

        Jerusha
        --
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 17, 2012
          Here is a quote from and article titled "Introduction to SCA Households"on the Florileguium under the Newcomer's Section:

          "Households... are completely unofficial and not recognized as branches by the SCA corporate office. They may play a part in Court or other in-game activities, such as being recognized for service by Their Majesties, but they are still not officially part of the SCA, Inc. Because of this, households can be created or changed by their members without any SCA paperwork, and they can establish any internal officers, rules, policies, and customs they wish."

          Are guilds run and recognized in a similar way?

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Susan Farmer <sfarmer@...> wrote:

          > On 6/17/2012 12:51 PM, ravenslake12 wrote:
          > > Hey everyone :)
          > >
          > > I've been snooping around Stefan's Florilegium and have surprisingly been able to answer many of my questions. However, I am a bit confused about the difference between a Guild and a Household. What are their function within the SAC and how/why are they formed and maintained?
          > > Thanks :)
          > >

          > Households are often (but not always) based around one or more peers and
          > their associates. We formed a household (*years* ago) to help shepherd
          > new folks in our Barony. It has since turned into a peerage household,
          > though.
          >
          > A Guild is often recognized by the Crown. They are comparable to the
          > Medieval Crafts Guilds. Embroiderer's Guild, Clothier's Guilds,
          > Minstrel's Guild, etc.
          >
          > Jerusha
          > --
          > Susan Farmer
          > sfarmer@...
          > Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
          > Division of Science and Math
          > http://www.abac.edu/sfarmer
          > http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Trillium

        • Ian Green
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 17, 2012
            In the SCA the answer really is about your focus.

            At this time per Corpora, neither Guilds nor Households are officially
            recognized by SCA inc.

            Corpora 1E

            "E. Unofficial Entities
            In many kingdoms, there are groups in which many people participate but
            which are not formally recognized
            by the Society. These can range from highly structured guilds to loosely
            associated camping groups. Entities
            that fall into this category can have many names, including but not limited
            to households, guilds, ships, and
            clans. Although these entities are not recognized by the Society in any
            formal way, some kingdoms have
            awards that can be given to these groups. Because they are not official
            Society groups, unofficial entities
            cannot sponsor Society events."

            Both Guilds and Households as well as the other "groups" mentioned are
            groups that form inside the SCA for various reasons.

            Guilds normally have a focus of improving the skills and abilities of those
            in the guild to do a given activity, often an art or science. Calligraphy
            guilds are to improve the skills of calligraphy in the guild and very often
            those not in the guild, brewing for brewers, dance for dancers and so on
            and so forth.

            Households normally are a group of people who get together to form a common
            identity with others in the household. They may or may not have a focus.
            I am a member of the Thieves of Hearts. We are recognized by many as being
            a fencing household. Our fighting unit wears black tabards with burgundy
            and silver trim on the field of battle. We also do Archery. We also do
            Service. And we have many skilled artisans in our membership. In fact
            inside the Middle Kingdom we have received group awards for Archery and for
            Service. What are we? A group of friends who strive to be very good at
            whatever it is that we do and to look good doing it. We started as a
            fighting household, but we've grown well beyond that.

            So what is the difference? Focus first of all. Guild focus on teaching and
            improving their craft whatever it may be. Households do not have to.

            In some Kingdoms if you have a household formed and you don't have a peer
            heading it up you are considered out of form. In other Kingdoms, the peer
            thing is utterly not thought about. The Thieves of Hearts had no peer
            until one of us was made a Pelican a couple of years ago and the household
            has been around a lot longer than that.

            Frankly, no one in the SCA has the authority to tell someone if they can or
            can not form a household or a Guild at this point. There was a time when
            guilds were formally recognized but that is no longer the case. Social
            considerations are a different thing of course.and that is best discerned
            inside your own kingdom.

            For some more thoughts and information feel free to look at:

            https://sites.google.com/site/ianthegreen01/home/for-sca-newcomers/on-households-guilds-etc-in-the-sca

            Ian

            --
            Yours In Service,