Re: [SCA Newcomers] Looking for ideas for a class

  • Bill Toscano
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 11, 2012
      Thanks.

      On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 1:37 PM, cary scott <carycscott@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Liam,I have a couple of suggestions for your lecture: Things to consider
      > and how to find a house to join.Student / Teacher how to find, and attach
      > your self to a knight / teacherThe balance between having fun and
      > volunteering, helping out but still leaving time for the fun stuff that
      > keeps you coming back. YIS ,Kelly
      > To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      > From: liamstliam@...
      > Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 17:25:59 -0400
      >
      > Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Looking for ideas for a class
      >
      > Greetings, all.
      >
      > Liam here.
      >
      > I am going to be teaching a class called "SCA 102" as part of an East
      >
      > Kingdom University program at Pennsic. (I will also likely teach it at EK
      >
      > Northern Region War Camp in upstate New York.)
      >
      > The way I am approaching this is to design it for people who have been in
      >
      > the SCA for maybe six months or a year. Think advanced beginner.
      >
      > If you fall into that group -- or work with folks in that group -- I am
      >
      > looking for ideas on what to cover.
      >
      > It's going to be a two-hour class, and the second hour is going to be a
      >
      > sort of peerage roundtable designed to allow newcomers to ask peers and
      >
      > their students about how the peerages work.
      >
      > In the first hour, I am thinking about hitting topics such as watching
      >
      > court, forms of address, basic SCA geography and the idea of things being
      >
      > different from kingdom to kingdom.
      >
      > Any other ideas?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Liam

    • William Davis
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 11, 2012
        I have been with SCA for a little over a year, and aide from archery practice every week, I have been to 3 monthly business meetings, 1 in home A&S get together/meeting, and for 3 of the past 4 weekends, my first events.First off, I will say to any newcomer, that going to the various meetings has been a good way to meet a few people, and get an overview of what all is going on, and how it comes about.  When I got to the events however, where everyone was in garb, I noted that while I knew what was going on, and saw some familiar faces, I had no idea what all the medallions, badges, tassels, etc, hanging around everyone's necks or off their belts, represented.  Beyond the archer's rank badges, I was lost, and felt kind of foolish walking up to someone and asking what this, that, or the other thing, signified.This would seem a good topic to cover.  While I realize you can't identify everything, particularly all the specific devices and badges, the
        general basics would be nice.
        More importantly, I will also add, that at the very first event I attended, I was called to court, for an award (my archery badge), with no warning, and no guidance.  Fortunately, I had been paying attention to what went on before I was called, and I had seen enough to have a general idea what I was supposed to do, so didn't mess up too badly.This, to me, should be something that everyone should have a class on.  While newcomers generally are not called up that soon in their SCA tenure, or at least I would not think so, as happened to me, it does happen.

        Gwilym

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 12, 2012
          Thank you.

          That's really helpful.

          Liam

        • Lori
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 10, 2012
            I was sorry to see that the time for your class conflicts with another
            class that I want to take. Would you be able to e-mail me a copy of the
            handout? I may be able to pop in for a bit. Would that be ok? 2yr SCA
            member and this is my 2nd Pennsic. So many classes, so little sleep....

            YIS

            Lettice Boniface

            P.S. Please stop in and visit me at Aethlemearc royal from 3-5 PM
            Thursday, 8/2. I'll be hosting the hospitality tent--everyone is
            welcome!

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Toscano <liamstliam@...>
            wrote:

            > Greetings, all.
            >
            > Liam here.
            >
            > I am going to be teaching a class called "SCA 102" as part of an East
            > Kingdom University program at Pennsic. (I will also likely teach it at
            EK
            > Northern Region War Camp in upstate New York.)
            >
            > The way I am approaching this is to design it for people who have been
            in
            > the SCA for maybe six months or a year. Think advanced beginner.
            >
            > If you fall into that group -- or work with folks in that group -- I
            am
            > looking for ideas on what to cover.
            >
            > It's going to be a two-hour class, and the second hour is going to be
            > sort of peerage roundtable designed to allow newcomers to ask peers
            and
            > their students about how the peerages work.
            >
            > In the first hour, I am thinking about hitting topics such as watching
            > court, forms of address, basic SCA geography and the idea of things
            being
            > different from kingdom to kingdom.
            >
            > Any other ideas?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Liam

          • Bill Toscano
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 10, 2012
              Sure!

              I have not worked up the handouts yet.

              Liam

              On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Lori <loriwidener@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > I was sorry to see that the time for your class conflicts with another
              > class that I want to take. Would you be able to e-mail me a copy of the
              > handout? I may be able to pop in for a bit. Would that be ok? 2yr SCA
              > member and this is my 2nd Pennsic. So many classes, so little sleep....
              >
              > YIS
              >
              > Lettice Boniface
              >
              > P.S. Please stop in and visit me at Aethlemearc royal from 3-5 PM
              > Thursday, 8/2. I'll be hosting the hospitality tent--everyone is
              > welcome!
              >
              > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Toscano <liamstliam@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Greetings, all.
              > >
              > > Liam here.
              > >
              > > I am going to be teaching a class called "SCA 102" as part of an East
              > > Kingdom University program at Pennsic. (I will also likely teach it at
              > EK
              > > Northern Region War Camp in upstate New York.)
              > >
              > > The way I am approaching this is to design it for people who have been
              > in
              > > the SCA for maybe six months or a year. Think advanced beginner.
              > >
              > > If you fall into that group -- or work with folks in that group -- I
              > am
              > > looking for ideas on what to cover.
              > >
              > > It's going to be a two-hour class, and the second hour is going to be
              > > sort of peerage roundtable designed to allow newcomers to ask peers
              > and
              > > their students about how the peerages work.
              > >
              > > In the first hour, I am thinking about hitting topics such as watching
              > > court, forms of address, basic SCA geography and the idea of things
              > being
              > > different from kingdom to kingdom.
              > >
              > > Any other ideas?
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > Liam

            • LavadaN
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 11, 2012
                Greetings,

                I've been in the SCA since December, my first event was last November. It's been great but also a tad overwhelming. Everyone I've met has been so kind and generous with their time and talents. Reading all the info has helped me get things like feast gear and a handle on garb, but proper forms of address and basic etiquette would help. I've been a hostess enough so introducing myself to people is easy, but learning history and how to select a few things to do is my biggest challenge. I think I'm already doing too much, and I'm finding myself getting frustrated. How to selected an area of study, suggested books for general information about period references, and help in understanding that the SCA happens on at least two levels, what you do on your own, and what you do in community. Hearing how others managed these first couple of years would help at lot especially if they joined later in life and not while in college. How others juggle work and family life, especially when the other family member's don't play, and the SCA would be good. Tips on how to keep my mundane life out of SCA conversations, but also how to bring it in when it's appropriate. I'm an 18th century historian and find myself hesitant to bring it up, but also watching people struggle with a task when I know how to do it is difficult. Because I'm new I tend to stay in the background not wanting to interfere. I guess mainly just real life stories. Looking forward to my first Pennsic and meeting you. Thanks!
              • Tisha elf
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 12, 2012
                  I was talking with another person about classes and don't know if this fits in. I like the idea of the newcomers asking the peerage question. One thing i wanted to learn more about is etiquette. How to address the king and queen past and present. how to recognize who is who.... I'm new and don't know everyone. So i don't know a Barron from a Prince or King or Duke. Who do i cant your Majesty, your honor, your lordship, your Excellency. Do i bow do i curtsy to i say whatz up! I was at an event and i dint know who was there and not there.. all i knew is they wore a crown piece. But how do i be polite and respectful. I think this would be a great class for new comers.
                  I like the idea of the SCA102 class it would be just right for me.. if i was going i would defiantly take the class

                  Lady Abbatissa
                  B3R Calontir

                  ________________________________
                  > I was sorry to see that the time for your class conflicts with another
                  > class that I want to take. Would you be able to e-mail me a copy of the
                  > handout? I may be able to pop in for a bit. Would that be ok? 2yr SCA
                  > member and this is my 2nd Pennsic. So many classes, so little sleep....
                  >
                  > YIS
                  >
                  > Lettice Boniface
                  >
                  > P.S. Please stop in and visit me at Aethlemearc royal from 3-5 PM
                  > Thursday, 8/2. I'll be hosting the hospitality tent--everyone is
                  > welcome!
                  >
                  > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Toscano <liamstliam@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Greetings, all.
                  > >
                  > > Liam here.
                  > >
                  > > I am going to be teaching a class called "SCA 102" as part of an East
                  > > Kingdom University program at Pennsic. (I will also likely teach it at
                  > EK
                  > > Northern Region War Camp in upstate New York.)
                  > >
                  > > The way I am approaching this is to design it for people who have been
                  > in
                  > > the SCA for maybe six months or a year. Think advanced beginner.
                  > >
                  > > If you fall into that group -- or work with folks in that group -- I
                  > am
                  > > looking for ideas on what to cover.
                  > >
                  > > It's going to be a two-hour class, and the second hour is going to be
                  > > sort of peerage roundtable designed to allow newcomers to ask peers
                  > and
                  > > their students about how the peerages work.
                  > >
                  > > In the first hour, I am thinking about hitting topics such as watching
                  > > court, forms of address, basic SCA geography and the idea of things
                  > being
                  > > different from kingdom to kingdom.
                  > >
                  > > Any other ideas?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > >
                  > > Liam

                • D'vorah bint Da'ud
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 12, 2012
                    On 12 Jul 2012, at 10:46 PM, Tisha elf wrote:

                    > I was at an event and i dint know who was there and not there.. all i knew is they wore a crown piece. But how do i be polite and respectful. I think this would be a great class for new comers.

                    I have a devil of a time with names in the first place. Add in modern versus medieval names, then titles (past and present, because they do change often in the SCA), and I always feel tongue-tied.

                    I've been considering dispensing with traditional ones and using ones with a bit less official correctness but perhaps a bit more flair. Instead of trying to sort out whether someone is His/Her Excellency, Majesty, Grace, Ladyship/Lordship, and so on, I thought I might try:

                    "Good day, Radiant One."
                    "May I fill the glass of the Gleaming Pearl?"
                    "Would the August One care to try for himself?"
                    "Thank you, Precious Flower of the Midrealm."

                    If I vary it, maybe no one will realize I can't keep it all clear in my head. Oops… I just gave it away. Still, would that be just horrible? To come up with things that express respect and admiration in a more personal way?
                    D'vorah bint Da'ud
                    dvorah@...
                    http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
                    Twitter: @DvorahSCA
                  • Zsigmond Szekely
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 12, 2012
                      I took a class at Heralic that was Calontir Sumtery law. It was quite
                      helpful. I can get that handout and teach it at a meeting.

                      Zsigmond

                      On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:29 PM, D'vorah bint Da'ud <
                      dvorah@...> wrote:

                      > On 12 Jul 2012, at 10:46 PM, Tisha elf wrote:
                      >
                      > > I was at an event and i dint know who was there and not there.. all i
                      > knew is they wore a crown piece. But how do i be polite and respectful. I
                      > think this would be a great class for new comers.
                      >
                      > I have a devil of a time with names in the first place. Add in modern
                      > versus medieval names, then titles (past and present, because they do
                      > change often in the SCA), and I always feel tongue-tied.
                      >
                      > I've been considering dispensing with traditional ones and using ones with
                      > a bit less official correctness but perhaps a bit more flair. Instead of
                      > trying to sort out whether someone is His/Her Excellency, Majesty, Grace,
                      > Ladyship/Lordship, and so on, I thought I might try:
                      >
                      > "Good day, Radiant One."
                      > "May I fill the glass of the Gleaming Pearl?"
                      > "Would the August One care to try for himself?"
                      > "Thank you, Precious Flower of the Midrealm."
                      >
                      > If I vary it, maybe no one will realize I can't keep it all clear in my
                      > head. Oops� I just gave it away. Still, would that be just horrible? To
                      > come up with things that express respect and admiration in a more personal
                      > way?
                      >
                      > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                      > D'vorah bint Da'ud
                      > Middle Kingdom, Midlands, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
                      > dvorah@...
                      > http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
                      > Twitter: @DvorahSCA

                    • Tisha elf
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 13, 2012
                        Let me know whenyou do Zsigmond i will be there

                        Tisha

                        ________________________________

                        dvorah@...> wrote:

                        > On 12 Jul 2012, at 10:46 PM, Tisha elf wrote:
                        >
                        > > I was at an event and i dint know who was there and not there.. all i
                        > knew is they wore a crown piece. But how do i be polite and respectful. I
                        > think this would be a great class for new comers.
                        >
                        > I have a devil of a time with names in the first place. Add in modern
                        > versus medieval names, then titles (past and present, because they do
                        > change often in the SCA), and I always feel tongue-tied.
                        >
                        > I've been considering dispensing with traditional ones and using ones with
                        > a bit less official correctness but perhaps a bit more flair. Instead of
                        > trying to sort out whether someone is His/Her Excellency, Majesty, Grace,
                        > Ladyship/Lordship, and so on, I thought I might try:
                        >
                        > "Good day, Radiant One."
                        > "May I fill the glass of the Gleaming Pearl?"
                        > "Would the August One care to try for himself?"
                        > "Thank you, Precious Flower of the Midrealm."
                        >
                        > If I vary it, maybe no one will realize I can't keep it all clear in my
                        > head. Oops… I just gave it away. Still, would that be just horrible? To
                        > come up with things that express respect and admiration in a more personal
                        > way?
                        >
                        > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                        > D'vorah bint Da'ud
                        > Middle Kingdom, Midlands, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
                        > dvorah@...
                        > http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
                        > Twitter: @DvorahSCA

                      • Jeff Suzuki
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 14, 2012
                          Welcome to our collective insanity!

                          Let's see...my first few years, I struggled and pretty much tried everything (it was helpful that I lived where one could actually do this).   If you live in an active barony (like I did), there's probably a lot of workshops, meetings, etc., on a regular basis.  For example, where I "grew up", there were monthly meetings of the cooks guild, storytellers, and weekly music, dance, fighter, and fencing practices.  For my first few months, I went to all of them, but gradually focused on just one or two that were a) interesting, and b) had welcoming people.  (Guild promoters take note!)  If you don't live in an active barony, this might be more difficult, though you could probably find these things if you don't mind driving.

                          Selecting an area of study is easy...if you're willing to give it time.  (I myself have given it 20+ years, and am still working on it...what I do now is vastly different from what I did ten years ago)  Your interests will evolve, and the SCA is not like college:  you don't have to choose a major by the time you've accumulated 60 credits.  (It's more like adult education, where this month you're learning belly dancing and next month it's Russian cooking and the month after that it's Italian madrigals...)  Do what you're interested in; it's the best guarantee you'll give it the attention it deserves.

                          Life and family...now that's a tough one for me (I met my wife in the SCA).  My best advice:  "The first one is free.."  I'd go with a "two event" strategy.  First, a relatively innocuous generic event, where they can just go an enjoy the show (and see that, while we have an odd hobby, we're otherwise ordinary people...).  For the second event, find one that will pique their interest.  You know your family better than I do, so you'll know if they're going to look at the heavy list and say "Hey, that would be fun..."  Or maybe they're foodies, in which case any of a number of feast-centric events would be appropriate.  Or they might be dancers, or musically inclined, or any of a number of other things.

                          Conversations:  First, let me say that "speaking forsoothly" is great...if you happen to be in that small minority for whom that speech pattern it is appropriate.  But it detracts from the look and feel to have a 14th century Ottoman saying "Prithee, sirrah..." (I really detest "SCAisms":  calling a car a "dragon" is nonsense, since the word "car" is period, and if you don't want to use this word because it sounds
                          too modern, you could use the word cart, wagon, transport, vehicle...)

                          I find the best way to do this (for me, at least) is to consciously avoid certain words and topics that are very modern.  Then, since I'm watching my speech for these words, I'm incidentally watching for other modernisms.  For example, try to eliminate the word "OK" from your event conversation, or avoid discussing the internet during feast.

                          The most important thing to remember is that the people of the middle ages were...people.  So they talked about what their kids did the other day, or what trouble their useless third cousin got into last week, or that their landlord hasn't fixed the hole in the roof, or that coworker who keeps trying to steal credit from them.  For example:

                          "The brakes on my car had to be replaced the other day; mechanic ripped me off and charged me 500 bucks, so we'll be just scraping by this month."

                          Change "car-->cart" and "mechanics --> cartwright", "bucks --> dollars", and you have a conversation that would be at home in the middle ages.  Throw in some colorful descriptions of the cartwright and you're speaking Shakespeare...

                          Jeffs/etc.

[...]

                        • Tom Hickey
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 6, 2012
                            Spam alert! See message from "Tom Harmon" and "Bitchinpanties".  Pillory, stocks, or cut off his right hand.