re: Hi there - New and a bit overwhelmed

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2012
      "Ravens Lake" asked:
      <<< Last year my best friend came home from some crazy camping
      excursion she called Pennsic. She pretty much insisted that my family
      go with next year. I knew it must be something special because she
      does not get enthusiastic very easily. >>>

      Pennsic IS special.

      Realize that no other SCA event is like Pennsic. It is the largest SCA
      event held and at two weeks it is the longest SCA event around,
      although Gulf Wars is now a week long. But you can have 13,000 people
      at Pennsic and, I think, the next biggest is Estrella or Gulf Wars
      with *only* 4000. Local events tend to be smaller and only a weekend.
      Usually say 30 people to 800. But they are closer, at least for most
      of us. Pennsic is a 27 hour drive each way for me from Ansteorra,
      which is the SCA kingdom that includes most of Texas and all of
      Oklahoma.

      I've been to somewhere around a dozen Pennsics, starting at Pennsic
      21. And it's kind of silly, I guess, but that last bit of road turning
      off the interstate makes me think "I'm coming home". For one thing,
      having just left Texas, it is much greener and cooler, in August. :-)

      <<< So I stared looking into Pennsic and discovered the strange,
      wonderful world of the SCA. Wow! There is so much information that my
      head is spinning. Some of the info I have found is very
      contradictory.>>>

      Likely. Two different people may give you different answers, not only
      because they are two different people, but there are regional and
      kingdom differences throughout the SCA.

      For some more ideas and details and sometimes just interesting info,
      take a look at the PENNSIC section in the Florilegium. See the
      address in my signature block below. Here are a few of the files which
      I think you might find the most useful or interesting.

      New-2-Pennsic-msg (56K) 7/15/11 Information for those new to Pennsic.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/New-2-Pennsic-msg.html

      Pennsic-leter-art (8K) 1/29/06 "A letter from Pennsic" (in persona)
      by Mistress Andrea MacIntyre.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Pennsic-leter-art.html

      Pennsic-Prep-art (12K) 8/22/02 "A Newcomer's Guide for Pre-Pennsic
      Prep"
      by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Pennsic-Prep-art.html

      P-Thngs-To-Do-art (8K) 11/20/11 “Things To Do At Pennsic” by Lady
      Katharine of Caithness.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/P-Thngs-To-Do-art.html

      <<< I have so very many questions regarding SCA membership, the
      arts, fighting, participating in events... I think I should probably
      just post one question at a time. haha >>>

      The SCA is a place you can do LOTS of things. You may be tempted to
      try to do everything. Don't. I've been in the SCA almost 23 years. I
      know a number of people who have been in longer. There has to be quite
      a bit of "depth" in an organization to keep people interested and
      doing something for that long.

      To give you an idea of the depth of the SCA, my Florilegium site now
      has 2300 different files on a wide variety of subjects and I'm still
      adding material as I can. But there is still a lot of stuff left to
      research and do.

      People participate and stay in the SCA for different reasons. At the
      risk of overloading you more, check out the SCA-SOCIOLOGY section of
      the Florilegium some time for things such as:
      magic-moments-msg (50K) 7/ 1/08 "Magic moments" experienced in the
      SCA.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/magic-moments-msg.html

      And to help a bit with your newness, I would recommend that the first
      section you look at in the Florilegium is the NEWCOMERS section, with
      files like:
      clothing-4-nc-msg (12K) 11/28/10 Comments for newcomers on SCA
      clothing.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/clothing-4-nc-msg.html

      Choose-a-Name-art (12K) 10/ 3/09 "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for
      Newcomers"
      by Dietmar Reinhart von
      Straubing and
      Malachias von Morgenstern.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Choose-a-Name-art.html

      courtesy-msg (32K) 1/19/96 Courtesy guidelines in the SCA and
      period.
      Hand-kissing and bowing.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/courtesy-msg.html

      Feast-Basket-art (7K) 10/18/00 "The Well-Tempered Feast Basket: a
      guide for
      newcomers" by Lady Jehanne de
      Huguenin.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Feast-Basket-art.html

      There is a lot of info available online these days, but I would still
      recommend buying a copy of the latest Known World Handbook from SCA-
      Inc in California. Some groups even buy batches of these to resell to
      newcomers. While up a bit in price from when I bought my first copy,
      it is still a rather good price for all the info that is in it.
      KW-Handbook-msg (12K) 11/25/10 Comments about the Known World
      Handbook.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/KW-Handbook-msg.html

      Oh yes, you don't have to be a paid SCA member to participate, even to
      fight. However if you are going to attend more than a few events a
      year, it is actually cheaper to go ahead and buy a membership and
      avoid the non-member surcharge that is required at each event you
      aren't a paid member. The SCA has usually had around 25,000 paid
      members and one to two times that number of participate as unpaid
      members. So while it sounds like you are going to like the SCA, we're
      not here just to take your money. You can play for a while and then
      decide if it is for you without committing to an annual membership.

      Please feel free to ask more questions here or to email them to me.

      Stefan
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • ravenslake12
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 9, 2012
        Thank you to everyone for all the info and warm welcome!!

        My schedule for most of this month is quite busy so I may not be able to attend many events or meetings just yet.

        However, that should give me some time to read read read about my interests so I don't come off as a complete newbie. And of course there are all the nice people here to help me out :)
        Thanks again :)