Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hi there - New and a bit overwhelmed

  • Susan Farmer
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2012
      On 6/6/2012 4:29 PM, ravenslake12 wrote:
      > Greetings everyone!
      > Last year my best friend came home from some crazy camping excursion she called Pennsic. She pretty much insisted that my family go with next year. I knew it must be something special because she does not get enthusiastic very easily.
      > So I stared looking into Pennsic and discovered the strange, wonderful world of the SCA. Wow! There is so much information that my head is spinning. Some of the info I have found is very contradictory. I think I live in Shire of Ravenslake in the Middle kingdom.
      > I have so very many questions regarding SCA membership, the arts, fighting, participating in events... I think I should probably just post one question at a time. haha

      Ask away! And one at a time (or at least on related topics) might be
      best -- it will be easier to follow the questions and answers! :-D

      > I look forward to getting to know some of you :)

      I live in south Georgia (in Meridies). Never done Pennsic, but I do
      adore Gulf Wars! (and I'll over the fiber stuff [needlework and costuming])

      Jerusha Kilgore
      --
      Susan Farmer
      sfarmer@...
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2012
        Greetings.
        Contact with others having your interest, is the key.  Tell the Chatelaine where your interest lies, he/she will put you in touch with others of that interest, and they will all be most helpful.  When I joined about a year ago, I contacted our local Chatelaine, told her I was interested in archery, and she gave the the ph# for the local archer's group.  Each week at practice I asked questions.  The other archers, some of whom have been doing this for 20+ years, have all kinds of helpful info.I would also suggest that, if possible, you attend the monthly barony/shire business meetings.  There you will get to meet others from other interest groups, and you will pick up a lot of info about how things work and what is happening around your barony/shire.

        GwilymEK - Barony Beyond The Mountain

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2012
          "Ravens Lake" asked:
          <<< Last year my best friend came home from some crazy camping
          excursion she called Pennsic. She pretty much insisted that my family
          go with next year. I knew it must be something special because she
          does not get enthusiastic very easily. >>>

          Pennsic IS special.

          Realize that no other SCA event is like Pennsic. It is the largest SCA
          event held and at two weeks it is the longest SCA event around,
          although Gulf Wars is now a week long. But you can have 13,000 people
          at Pennsic and, I think, the next biggest is Estrella or Gulf Wars
          with *only* 4000. Local events tend to be smaller and only a weekend.
          Usually say 30 people to 800. But they are closer, at least for most
          of us. Pennsic is a 27 hour drive each way for me from Ansteorra,
          which is the SCA kingdom that includes most of Texas and all of
          Oklahoma.

          I've been to somewhere around a dozen Pennsics, starting at Pennsic
          21. And it's kind of silly, I guess, but that last bit of road turning
          off the interstate makes me think "I'm coming home". For one thing,
          having just left Texas, it is much greener and cooler, in August. :-)

          <<< So I stared looking into Pennsic and discovered the strange,
          wonderful world of the SCA. Wow! There is so much information that my
          head is spinning. Some of the info I have found is very
          contradictory.>>>

          Likely. Two different people may give you different answers, not only
          because they are two different people, but there are regional and
          kingdom differences throughout the SCA.

          For some more ideas and details and sometimes just interesting info,
          take a look at the PENNSIC section in the Florilegium. See the
          address in my signature block below. Here are a few of the files which
          I think you might find the most useful or interesting.

          New-2-Pennsic-msg (56K) 7/15/11 Information for those new to Pennsic.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/New-2-Pennsic-msg.html

          Pennsic-leter-art (8K) 1/29/06 "A letter from Pennsic" (in persona)
          by Mistress Andrea MacIntyre.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Pennsic-leter-art.html

          Pennsic-Prep-art (12K) 8/22/02 "A Newcomer's Guide for Pre-Pennsic
          Prep"
          by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Pennsic-Prep-art.html

          P-Thngs-To-Do-art (8K) 11/20/11 “Things To Do At Pennsic” by Lady
          Katharine of Caithness.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/P-Thngs-To-Do-art.html

          <<< I have so very many questions regarding SCA membership, the
          arts, fighting, participating in events... I think I should probably
          just post one question at a time. haha >>>

          The SCA is a place you can do LOTS of things. You may be tempted to
          try to do everything. Don't. I've been in the SCA almost 23 years. I
          know a number of people who have been in longer. There has to be quite
          a bit of "depth" in an organization to keep people interested and
          doing something for that long.

          To give you an idea of the depth of the SCA, my Florilegium site now
          has 2300 different files on a wide variety of subjects and I'm still
          adding material as I can. But there is still a lot of stuff left to
          research and do.

          People participate and stay in the SCA for different reasons. At the
          risk of overloading you more, check out the SCA-SOCIOLOGY section of
          the Florilegium some time for things such as:
          magic-moments-msg (50K) 7/ 1/08 "Magic moments" experienced in the
          SCA.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/magic-moments-msg.html

          And to help a bit with your newness, I would recommend that the first
          section you look at in the Florilegium is the NEWCOMERS section, with
          files like:
          clothing-4-nc-msg (12K) 11/28/10 Comments for newcomers on SCA
          clothing.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/clothing-4-nc-msg.html

          Choose-a-Name-art (12K) 10/ 3/09 "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for
          Newcomers"
          by Dietmar Reinhart von
          Straubing and
          Malachias von Morgenstern.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Choose-a-Name-art.html

          courtesy-msg (32K) 1/19/96 Courtesy guidelines in the SCA and
          period.
          Hand-kissing and bowing.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/courtesy-msg.html

          Feast-Basket-art (7K) 10/18/00 "The Well-Tempered Feast Basket: a
          guide for
          newcomers" by Lady Jehanne de
          Huguenin.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Feast-Basket-art.html

          There is a lot of info available online these days, but I would still
          recommend buying a copy of the latest Known World Handbook from SCA-
          Inc in California. Some groups even buy batches of these to resell to
          newcomers. While up a bit in price from when I bought my first copy,
          it is still a rather good price for all the info that is in it.
          KW-Handbook-msg (12K) 11/25/10 Comments about the Known World
          Handbook.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/KW-Handbook-msg.html

          Oh yes, you don't have to be a paid SCA member to participate, even to
          fight. However if you are going to attend more than a few events a
          year, it is actually cheaper to go ahead and buy a membership and
          avoid the non-member surcharge that is required at each event you
          aren't a paid member. The SCA has usually had around 25,000 paid
          members and one to two times that number of participate as unpaid
          members. So while it sounds like you are going to like the SCA, we're
          not here just to take your money. You can play for a while and then
          decide if it is for you without committing to an annual membership.

          Please feel free to ask more questions here or to email them to me.

          Stefan
          --------
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
        • ravenslake12
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 9, 2012
            Thank you to everyone for all the info and warm welcome!!

            My schedule for most of this month is quite busy so I may not be able to attend many events or meetings just yet.

            However, that should give me some time to read read read about my interests so I don't come off as a complete newbie. And of course there are all the nice people here to help me out :)
            Thanks again :)